Merom MacBooks and Powerbooks in September

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for a new thread or if this source is reliable

but I thought others may be interested. If this has been previously reported or

is from an unreliable source I apologize.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060811PB201.html

Scott E Pace MD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I'm no news pro, but the site looks like jokes. I certainly hope they're right though. I can wait a month!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I think Core 2s will be used as soon as there is sufficient inventory. The back-to-school rush will be over (where Apple can reduce inventories) and there is probably little engineering/programming work needed. I think that Apple will bump up the MBP first, with the MB following a few weeks later.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I seriously question that MacBooks will get Core 2s. MB Pros I can believe.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Agree with BRussell, I wish that core duo would get serious price drop and be one of intel's 'budget' chips. Then Merom would be high end mobile, conroe mid to high end desk top and woodcrest high end desktop.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Digitimes is OK in terms of reliability but they do make mistakes. For instance, they predicted Intel Macs would come out in June so they were off by 5 months. They are Taiwan based so they do get a lot of intelligence from the Taiwanese manufacturers that actually build the Macs.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    i just bought a macbook - 3 weeks wait, but i hope they dont bring something new out that quickly. Mind you, i dont really need 64bit proccessing...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    3 week wait??!!! Doesn't that mean that they are getting ready to ship a new one?...The update might be just around the corner now!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

3 week wait??!!! Doesn't that mean that they are getting ready to ship a new one?...The update might be just around the corner now!

yeah, some guy in a pointy hat calling himself 'Predicto!!!' keeps say September 5. Hey, that's the day I start school!! Wee!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    What, nursery school?

Is there an ignore feature for posts by Celemoron?

Oh, cool. There is, under the "User CP" at the top. It reads, "This message is hidden because Celemoron is on your ignore list."
  • Reply 10 of 20
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frediography

i just bought a macbook - 3 weeks wait, but i hope they dont bring something new out that quickly. Mind you, i dont really need 64bit proccessing...

3 weeks? was it a BTO machine? a friend just bought a stock 2ghz macbook. she ordered friday and had her machine by wednesday.

my guess is new macbook update for a whole. MBP will hopefuly get core 2 sooner than later.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    All I'd want is a port replicator port and a docking station for dual screen goodness. The bookends look like a horrible solution.

There are enough Merom speed grades to go into both MBs and MBPs. 1.83/2 GHz Meroms for MacBooks. 2.16/2.33 GHz for MacBook Pros.

The 1.66 GHz speed grade can even go into the Mac mini.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I don't think it's unlikely at all that both the pro and regular Macbooks would get a core 2 duo. Apple didn't seem to have a problem giving them the same chips they have now.

Plus I think Apple wants to move to 64bit as soon as they can for all their machines. They've just been waiting on the chips to come out. They tried doing it with the G5 but they couldn't and now they're just holding out for the intel stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    There are still a great deal of not-so-budget PC laptops that use Pentium Ms - I'm sure Apple can continue healthy sales of core Duo Macbooks for a couple of months while they nail the transition on the Pro only.

David
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muskdial

Hello

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for a new thread or if this source is reliable

but I thought others may be interested. If this has been previously reported or

is from an unreliable source I apologize.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060811PB201.html

Scott E Pace MD

Interesting, I was just at the local Mac Dealer to get my PowerBook G4 looked at (logic board problems). Since the problem with the logic board is potentially fatal I indicated that I would be buying a new MacBook Pro, his comment to me was that if I could wait until mid September then I would be able to get a MacBook Pro with the new chipset. He didn't indicate what that chipset was but the above information about the Merom chips seems to fit.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I am waiting for the macbooks next update(hopefully will get merom). I read about this Santa Rosa being the "TRUE" dual core 2 chipset, and that merom is just a stop gap. I dont care. Soon as the macbooks get updatedd(hopefully September/October) I am GETTING one.

However, I was wondering about the next 802.11n wifi standard. They say Santa Rosa will get it, but if I get a second gen macbook with merom, will I be able to slap a 802.11n airport card in...or is that a dumb question? :-)
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Oh, one more question. I read that Santa Rosa will also have a 800 FSB compared with the first gen's 667 FSB.

Would an 800 FSB decrease battery life? :-)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, it would technically decrease it.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan

I am waiting for the macbooks next update(hopefully will get merom). I read about this Santa Rosa being the "TRUE" dual core 2 chipset, and that merom is just a stop gap. I dont care. Soon as the macbooks get updatedd(hopefully September/October) I am GETTING one.

However, I was wondering about the next 802.11n wifi standard. They say Santa Rosa will get it, but if I get a second gen macbook with merom, will I be able to slap a 802.11n airport card in...or is that a dumb question? :-)

I thought I remember reading that Intel just dropped 802.11n support from Santa Rosa... could be mistaken, though.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    What exactly is 802.11n? And how much better is it then the current standard wifi? Does that mean that your laptop will have a longer range to pick up a wifi signal? :-)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    802.11n is an evolution of 802.11g (and a), operating at the same frequency as b and g (2.4 GHz). The typical data rate is extended from 25 to 200 Mbit/s (i.e., 25 MByte/s), and the maximum data rate from 54 to 540 Mbit/s (67.5 MByte/s). The range is increased from 30 to 50 meters (about 160 feet). The final version is expecting approval in July 2007.

For wide ranges, you want to look into 802.16 instead, aka WiMax.