Will prices of mac's come down?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think this is a BIG contributer to why apple isnt making even bigger strides to being on top of the computer market, or at least closer to being there. Apple has done well with the ipod keeping the price reasonable and not rasing it for every new ipod, but really, bring the price down. I read an article on the mac being cheaper then dell, well who cares, dell is an overpriced rip off of a computer. HP and Compaq, they are the real bang for ure buck, and they are the ones NOW doing the best, Dell has lost tons, HP is getting more and more popular, so if apple can go in that direction as well, there is no stopping this company!

So.. anyways, is a price drop in sight??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Not anytime soon - or in the forseeable future, I'm afraid.

There's no need - Apple wants to appeal to a different end of the market and always have.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Will prices of mac's what come down?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You will *always* be able to find a computer cheaper than a Mac, for the same reason you will *always* be able to find a car cheaper than a BMW.

The question is... what do you get for your money? Try looking at *comparable* hardware, and the latest round of Macs (especially the Mac Pro) are pretty nicely priced against the PC side.

But yes, if you're looking for rock-bottom machines, then you need to look elsewhere than Apple. And, I believe, Apple is just fine with that.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    At first glance most Apple computers look overpriced. But you really have to get up close to them and go over them throughly. The build quality is generaly very good and they have a lot of little things that are nice.

Let me take the Macbook as a comparison. First off this machine isn't overpriced, it's well within it's price category. Just go look for any other 12-13" laptop out there with a 1.83-2ghz core duo and you'll see what I mean.

The build quality of the machine itself is very nice, the choice of plastics and textures, the way all the connectors are submounted and the slot loading drive.

Then there are the little things like optical audio ports, magnetic lid clasp, magsafe power cord, full size firewire jack and so on. Things that don't necessarily jump out at you at first but make the whole experience nice.

Now I admit HP is offering a lot of nice laptops these days with perks like lightscribe and flash card readers and even dual harddrives in some models. But while they may offer those features they do it in place of the features I mentioned above and without the same build quality and eye on design.

I admit I wish the macbook had better graphics and it would be nice to have a feature that lets you play DVD's without turning the machine on. But I think that if you look at any machine out there it is always a give and take scenario.

Even so I think some Mac's could offer a little more for their money. The 17" Macbook Pro comes to mind. I configured a 17" HP model that had all the bells and whistles (two 120gig hard drives, TV tuner, ultrabright screen, Lightscribe DL DVD-+RW, quickplay, remote, you name it) for $700 less then the 17" Macbook Pro that doesn't come with half that stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Basically, the 17MBP is a 15MBP with a 17" screen... none of that extra space is used for extra HDs, RAM slots, etc. So it is indeed a bit overpriced. But in general the Mac lineup has fantastic value.

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    well i want back and i am considering going back to the mac side again. (started on mac and windows, got rid of my mac, straight on windows for two years, but when i had the mac i wasnt much of a computer user because i was young) I was fed up with my imac, but i had it from the release of the OS 8 Imac and upgraded all the way to OS 10, got rid of it after they released the OS with spotlight, i guess thats tiger, i could of got tiger but i knew it would just slow my system down more. I would like to see how many years i got out of it, i will have to do some research, because if u can keep a mac longer then a windows, it may be worth it, but im not settled on that theory yet.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    I think that the next revision could bring a few price drops to the Mac line due to lower cost of some of the components. I wouldn't bet on this, but I do see the possibility of the iMac dropping up to $200 for the low end 17" and the Mini dropping down to $499 for the low end. Of course to do so they may have to drop the wireless as standard options for these systems, but unless Apple is going to come out with a real need for BlueTooth beyond keyboards I don't see this as a major problem, especially for the entry models.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    IMHO, ever since apple turned Intel way, the prices being very nice, may be slightly on the upper side, not to forget some software that are bundled together like iLife

cinema displays may be the exception.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS

Will prices of mac's what come down?

I love you.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

At first glance most Apple computers look overpriced. But you really have to get up close to them and go over them throughly. The build quality is generaly very good and they have a lot of little things that are nice.

Let me take the Macbook as a comparison. First off this machine isn't overpriced, it's well within it's price category. Just go look for any other 12-13" laptop out there with a 1.83-2ghz core duo and you'll see what I mean.

The build quality of the machine itself is very nice, the choice of plastics and textures, the way all the connectors are submounted and the slot loading drive.

Then there are the little things like optical audio ports, magnetic lid clasp, magsafe power cord, full size firewire jack and so on. Things that don't necessarily jump out at you at first but make the whole experience nice.

Now I admit HP is offering a lot of nice laptops these days with perks like lightscribe and flash card readers and even dual harddrives in some models. But while they may offer those features they do it in place of the features I mentioned above and without the same build quality and eye on design.

Apple build quality is as shitty as any other brand which uses south east asian sweatshops as their OEM. Because... Apple builds their stuff in south east asian sweatshops.

Apples aren't really more expensive. They just don't have any stripper models and they don't trash their computers with adware.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I disagree. I've noticed that where something is built has little to do with it's overall quality so long as there is a level of quality control in place. It's more about how it's designed. A product that is better designed will be of better build quality no matter where it is assembled.

It's like American cars. People say Americans can't build cars worth a darn anymore. I disagree, they are building very good cars down at the Honda and Toyota plants in Ohio and Kentucky. And they'd be building just as good of cars in the GM and Ford plants here in Detroit if the cars themselves would have just been designed better to begin with. Which from time to time we get.

Apple products are designed betteer to begin with.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

Apple build quality is as shitty as any other brand which uses south east asian sweatshops as their OEM. Because... Apple builds their stuff in south east asian sweatshops.

Apples aren't really more expensive. They just don't have any stripper models and they don't trash their computers with adware.

I'm really getting tired of this traditional american xenophobia. Yeah, there used to be a time when just about anything in Japan/Asia was poorly designed and constructed. Now, however, they're more than rivaling domestic car manufacturers, and have owned the electronics market for over a decade.

Have you seen some of the assembly lines they have in China? We're not talking dirt floors and no air conditioning. China currently has an extreme excess of labor, and they're using that to their advantage. I work in a lab full of chinese students, and although they'll admit that although current living standards aren't used to what we have in the west, they're quite confident that given their powerful workforce, they'll soon have a tech-driven economy to rival that of ours.

Also interesting are their feelings on the current communist regime: "Eh, it's only one more form of government in our six thousand year history."
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Apple prices will go down, when they are ready for some real marketshare gains.

The currently Intel transition is still extremely bumpy, from constrained macbook supply, to first generation Mac pro product design flaws. Not to mention software delays due to the move to intel. Even pro applications such as Final Cut Pro missed the entire revision cycle due to the herculean move to Universal Binary.

Once things simmer down, Apple could literally pull the lever and spur great mac sales. How about $300 off any purchase when traded in with a PC? Apple has the cash to do this and can reap the profits of future software sales. How about a migration manager that will perfectly move someone over from Windows to Mac with zero effort?

How about Apple offering an xMac? Or a Mobile OS X device. Or an iPhone?

Apple will only lower prices when they are ready to handle the volume. Right now, they could not.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

Have you seen some of the assembly lines they have in China? We're not talking dirt floors and no air conditioning. China currently has an extreme excess of labor, and they're using that to their advantage. I work in a lab full of chinese students, and although they'll admit that although current living standards aren't used to what we have in the west, they're quite confident that given their powerful workforce, they'll soon have a tech-driven economy to rival that of ours.

Also interesting are their feelings on the current communist regime: "Eh, it's only one more form of government in our six thousand year history."

The question is how the rural poor are making out. The problem is if someone tries to respark another cultural revolution given the disparity of wealth. Hence the huge overreaction back in 1989...and the good number of Chinese millionares with their families in the US living upper middle class lives rather than the rich rich lives in China (servants, housekeepers, etc).

Vinea
  • Reply 15 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I still havent' found a mini pc that gives me what my Mac mini does.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I still havent' found a mini pc that gives me what my Mac mini does.

Mac OSX?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    This is a bit of topic, but I've always wondered why Apple doesn't adopt Dell-like headfake pricing tactics. There are two main tricks I can think of:

1. "Starting at LOW LOW price" -- Dell often qoutes their lowest price in the ads and only later do you realize that if you customize the model to be something useful, it becomes no longer dirt cheap. Apple, for example, could advertise at the end of its new Ads, "Macs starting at 599$" and then show the image of the iMac and then in fine print say "model not shown" A bit like the monitor not included tactic.

2."Rebates, rebates, rebates!" -- Dell makes expert use of rebates for everything, making the computer seem cheaper but requiring the consumer to buy something that they might not work. AKA "Dude! Dulls start at 399$****" fine print = *** after 100$ rebate for the 100$ printer you bought. My favorite occasion of this was when I checked Dell a while back and saw "free shipping on all orders! **" fine print = after 19.99$ mail-in-rebate!!

-jay
  • Reply 18 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple

This is a bit of topic, but I've always wondered why Apple doesn't adopt Dell-like headfake pricing tactics.

Because they try to maintain a somewhat bearable customer reputation?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Oh I hate rebates with a passion.