My Dream App

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm sure a lot of you know about this, but I thought I'd post it for everyone else. My Dream App is a contest where you submit app ideas and then there is an elimination process over a few weeks and the winning apps get created by a nice team of developers. There are a slew of guest judges set up. I don't really have any huge ideas myself, but its going to be cool to see what people come up with. Anyone enter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    No. I would suggest people not give up their ideas.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yes, if you have a great idea for an app and don't know how to code and don't want to, make sure to keep it to yourself...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

No. I would suggest people not give up their ideas.

Ohh... you almost had it. You could have said:
    "I would suggest people not give up their ideas for Dreams."
    Meh... this story bores me.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    See, I beg to differ. I think it's a pretty cool idea and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

See, I beg to differ. I think it's a pretty cool idea and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

I agree. Like American Idol, Survivor, American Inventor, et al, it will be interesting to see if the best ideas come from the traditional birth-struggle or "the easy way". My money's on the struggle... I never could stomach American Idol.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    I think this is a great competition and I'm entering 3 ideas.

This is my most popular so far. A Visual Communication and File Sharing Application that allows you to create realistic paper notes with file attachments

that you can throw visually from one screen to another via Bonjour, IP or your iChat Buddy List.

One of the criteria for judging your application is the use of Leopard technologies.

My application utilizes mainly Core animation to send your notes as Origami, Paper Aeroplanes and more.

You can even assign different file attachments for upto 8 different computers on the network.

So the paper plane will fly across all 8 screens dropping the files onto the appropriate desktop as it goes.

You can create notes in my application via templates or by screen capturing, scanning, importing an image from the finder or scanning a document with your iSight

Here are some of the Mock-ups:

The great thing is designers and developers are already hooking up to develop applications if they don't make it through the competition.

Plus other small developers have displayed keen interest in picking some of them up for themself on similar terms as the competition.

At the end of the day, as users we are all getting great Shareware.

Head on over and check out the submissions. Some of them are really great.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    See, this is why I thought this was such a great idea. It's actually getting the idea's and the designers together and the winner is the end user. BTW I really like your idea. It's cleaver and simple. The paper airplane is a nice touch.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

See, this is why I thought this was such a great idea. It's actually getting the idea's and the designers together and the winner is the end user. BTW I really like your idea. It's cleaver and simple. The paper airplane is a nice touch.

Thanks very much

Like you said; the end user wins. Phillryu has just confirmed that the forums will remain open once the competition ends so designers and developers can work together and get a much larger percentage of these ideas to market.

My Dream App has motivated people like me to actually get ideas out there.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    It's never been a better time to learn to program
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Dazabrit: you're on the front page of that site.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

Dazabrit: you're on the front page of that site.

Yeah, I know; it's so cool!

It doesn't increase my chances of getting into the final 24 though unfortunately

It depends on whether the judges think there's a market for it I suppose.

I'm praying
  • Reply 12 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    My idea -- a citation and reference manager with a decent GUI.