What was your first Mac?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    I also have a 12" iBook
  • Reply 62 of 83
    Performa 636CD

I don't remember the specs, though. Might have been 16 MB RAM and a 250 MB HD or somewhere less.

That computer froze and crashed more than Windows 98.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Dad had a //e and //c that I played around with and learned BASIC on. At some point he brought home a 1xx powerbook that I fiddled around on, I still remember thinking the "trash" idea was straight from the mind of God.

I think my grandfather had a classic, or maybe a 512 that I drew UFOs on with MacPaint.

Our first "real" home machine was a Performa 550, and I remember playing Marathon on a 575 and being all bummed out because the 33MHz processor on our 550 couldn't handle both ceiling and floor textures like the 66MHz 68040 in the 575 could.

The first Mac I actually paid for myself was an original Bondi 233MHz iMac, that I still have running to this day (albeit just the motherboard in a custom 1U rack case). I recently upgraded it to 10.3, and it performs just as well as when it was brand new.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

The first Mac I ever had was the one my Dad bought for the house: the original Macintosh, in all of its 8.1 MHz glory, with 128K of RAM (made into a Fat Mac later with a full *GASP* 1 MB of RAM).

I also had the same computer. Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the fat Mac upgrade gave it 512K, not 1MB RAM. I also have in my head that the 68000 was at 7.8 MHz, while the SE's 68000 was at 8.0 MHz, but I may be wrong. I think the original had a 400K floppy, and the fat mac had a 800K drive (or 1.44MB?), but again, I may be wrong.

That thing rocked!
  • Reply 65 of 83
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gruth

I also have in my head that the 68000 was at 7.8 MHz, while the SE's 68000 was at 8.0 MHz, but I may be wrong. I think the original had a 400K floppy, and the fat mac had a 800K drive (or 1.44MB?), but again, I may be wrong.

According to Apple History, the original Macintosh had an 8 MHz processor (could just be rounding up from 7.8 though?) and a 400 k floppy.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    My first Mac? Does a "Mac-styled" Linux-Box count?

No?

Too bad - then, my first Mac was an 12" iBook G4 800Mhz with 640MB RAM, bought 2003. It died on me a few months ago, though, and last week, I sold it on ebay, and bought me the last line of the PPC 12" iBook - it might be PPC, but the price was only 799?, so I just had to do it.

In 2004, I bought an 20" Rev B. iMac G5. I'm still so happy with my setup, it makes me giggle every morning I turn it on...
  • Reply 67 of 83
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Performa 475, with matching 14" Apple Color Display (Trinitron).

Man, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Mac SE with 2 MB RAM and 40 MB HD. Had to wait for a few months, but they put in a bigger hard drive

It cost a hell of a lot at that time. But it was worth it. My mother used it until 2000, when it died in a puff of smoke. Something was wrong with the power supply.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

According to Apple History, the original Macintosh had an 8 MHz processor (could just be rounding up from 7.8 though?) and a 400 k floppy.

The SE was the first Mac to have a "SuperDrive" with 1.44 MB. My SE hat 7.8 MHz as well, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    PowerBook 165c... I don't really recall the internals -- i was new to computers in general (aside form my grade school days in front of an apple iigs), but i thought the built-in voices were amazing at the time, so i named mine after the most usable one of them all -- Fred.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    first apple: apple IIe

first mac: 8500 with a pc compatibility card
  • Reply 72 of 83
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Classic II (16MHz) > LCIII (25MHz) > Performa 6400 (200MHz) > iMac DV (400MHz) > iBook SE (466MHz) > Powerbook G4 (1GHz) > iMac G4 (1.25GHz) > ???
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Powerbook G3 Lombard. Blazing fast 333Mhz of raw processing power. Unfortunately when I got it there were already Pentium 4 chips out. I got it for 50 bucks from my school. All thats left of it is the broken keyboard with missing keys that I had framed. First computer I ever had I loved it even when the RAM fried, and the HD crashed.. and my little sister dropped a metal ruler on the screen and put a nice scratch right in it. It went through hell.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    My first Mac was the Blue & White G3. I was a Windows only guy but wanted to see what the new Apple was all about. I can still see and feel the moment I opened the box and booted this new machine. I have not had the same experience with a computer since.

I still use Windows (for work) but I run it on a MacBook.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think I used a beige G4 300 for quite a while when I was ten or eleven. Did some pretty killer Bryce stuff on it, I'm sad I didn't keep some of my renders, they were probably better stuff than I'd be able to do now.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    I had the Performa 575. I remember when that was the first time I experienced THOUSANDS of colors. Remember when 256 was the shit? I remember editing icons through ResEdit and not knowing which shade of green to use...
  • Reply 77 of 83
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    My first Mac was a bit leftfield - a second hand Powerbook 1400c. 133Mhz, 48Mb RAM, 1Gb HD. It was bought from a teacher at my school for about 700 pounds, and as he was swapping to windows because of the evil IT department, he supplied everything mac he had with it - Zip drive, OS8, Printer, magazines, Dummies books - I owe him a great deal. He included the original receipt with it, and the amount he paid for it only a year or so earlier was very painfull - i.e. decked out Mac Pro with 30" ACD territory.

It was a great machine, with an active display and still one of the best keyboards I have ever used. It felt like heaven after a 25Mhz PC, and got me really familiar with macs, the internet, and helped me produce decent projects for my exams. I can remember sitting up in bed (I was in a boarding school), typing away at 3AM the night before the deadline, hoping I wouldn't wake up anyone in the next room.

But shiny and new is always better, so within a year, the original Bondi iMac (but Rev/B, mind you) was the new star of the show.

David
  • Reply 78 of 83
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quadra 605

4MB RAM

40MB HD

No optical drive

System 7.

Feburary 1994

YEE-HAW!
  • Reply 79 of 83
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Performa 630. 8mb of RAM, but with RAM Double installed to take it to 16mb! woot!
  • Reply 80 of 83
    First Apple computer would be an Apple II, bought around 1980.

First Mac was a Powerbook Duo 230, bought around 1993. I later had it converted to a 2300, going from a 33 Mhz 68030 to a 100 Mhz PPC 603e.