- 1) that only god know his identitity

- 2) that he was ignored by god

- 3) something else

The complete inscription (in a military cemetary) is

Here rest in honored glory

A comrade in arms

Known but to god

Thanks in advance

I would say that it is probably the first meaning that you have there. I think that there might be a story behind that and the meaning would be clarified with more context.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That something is unknown to mankind, but presumably known to God. See the phrase "God knows [where I put my car keys last night]" which infers that only God knows the status or location of the objects or people mentioned in the latter part of the phrase.

In that context, it seems that perhaps it is something like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which honors those killed soldiers unidentified or their bodies never found.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    It means that god has just killed a kitten!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It was indeed a tomb, with a white cross.

Thanks for your input.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I know that Marc

Seriously : Someone in a french forum asked the translation of this tomb scripture. I answered that the meaning that only god know is identity.

But a canadian said that we where wrong, and give the answer b. He also added some silly comments, claiming how ignorant in english we where ...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, I think you're in the right. It actually is pretty idiomatic, because I know a lot of things that God probably knows as well, but I think this is due to "God knows" being widely used as an abbreviation of "only God knows".

Beautiful poem, by the way.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Yeah, I think you're in the right. It actually is pretty idiomatic, because I know a lot of things that God probably knows as well, but I think this is due to "God knows" being widely used as an abbreviation of "only God knows".

Beautiful poem, by the way.

thanks. Yes it's a beautiful poem.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    thanks for your explanation, You may be right : it could say that god has accepted him, in his house, him the unknown soldier.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Powerdoc

what does mean : known but to god

- 1) that only god know his identitity

- 2) that he was ignored by god

- 3) something else

The complete inscription (in a military cemetary) is

Here rest in honored glory

A comrade in arms

Known but to god

Thanks in advance

I started trying to disentangle this for you, but I got hung up on "rest." Are you sure you have that correct? Was it actually "rests"? I ask because that changes the meaning of the sentence.

But yes. "Known but to God" means that only God knows whatever it is.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    [URL=http://www.photim.net/nci/photo.php3?Code=20060826124149Rammstein91&O=0[/URL]my bad: you are right it's rests

I hope this link will work
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ]my bad: you are right it's rests

http://www.photim.net/nci/photo.php3...ammstein91&O=0

• Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

I started trying to disentangle this for you, but I got hung up on "rest." Are you sure you have that correct? Was it actually "rests"? I ask because that changes the meaning of the sentence.

But yes. "Known but to God" means that only God knows whatever it is.

I did some digging, and this is a common inscription on the graves on unknown soldiers. And yes, you have the verb correct. So...here's what it means:

"Here rest" can actually go two ways.

1) If there are more than one soldier in there, it's simply indicating that there are multiple bodies buried there. Given that the second line indicates a singular body, this is unlikely.

2) If there is only one soldier in there, it's a kind of touching order: "Here rest" = "Rest here." The idea is that this body, because it is unknown, cannot be buried where it might otherwise, and so this is a kind of concession..."Since we can't bury you where you'd otherwise be, we will lay you to rest here." But it's not like an anonymous grave somewhere, because it is "in honored glory."

"A comrade in arms" is pretty obvious. Other iterations are "American heroes," "an American," etc. It's just an honorific, since the name is unknown.

"Known but to God" means that only God knows this person's identity.

It's actually kind of sad, since it doesn't suggest that God has taken the person into his bosom, nor can it. What if the person was a child molester but a really good soldier? It's part of the anxiety of the absence of identity: all we can say is that, at the very least, he rests HERE in honored glory.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Powerdoc

]my bad: you are right it's rests

http://www.photim.net/nci/photo.php3...ammstein91&O=0

OK. That doesn't really change my interpretation. It just means that in the ground there's a person whose identity only God knows.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

I did some digging, and this is a common inscription on the graves on unknown soldiers. And yes, you have the verb correct. So...here's what it means:

"Here rest" can actually go two ways.

1) If there are more than one soldier in there, it's simply indicating that there are multiple bodies buried there. Given that the second line indicates a singular body, this is unlikely.

2) If there is only one soldier in there, it's a kind of touching order: "Here rest" = "Rest here." The idea is that this body, because it is unknown, cannot be buried where it might otherwise, and so this is a kind of concession..."Since we can't bury you where you'd otherwise be, we will lay you to rest here." But it's not like an anonymous grave somewhere, because it is "in honored glory."

"A comrade in arms" is pretty obvious. Other iterations are "American heroes," "an American," etc. It's just an honorific, since the name is unknown.

"Known but to God" means that only God knows this person's identity.

It's actually kind of sad, since it doesn't suggest that God has taken the person into his bosom, nor can it. What if the person was a child molester but a really good soldier? It's part of the anxiety of the absence of identity: all we can say is that, at the very least, he rests HERE in honored glory.

thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Well, I don't know how archaic that adverbial usage is.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius

Me neither

Pretty sure that's the meaning though....

It is. In fact, it's the primary definition of "but" as an adverb.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Hahaha
  • Reply 18 of 22
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The one from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Va.

"Here Rests

In Honored Glory

An American Soldier

Known But To God"

A couple of years ago they did DNA test and identified one for a family. So this saying might go the way of the Dodo.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    So I need some help in french. I have some homework, I need to write a paper about a group conversation, and I have a question. I'm trying to say "That started me thinking." My first thought on saying that in french was "Cela a commencé me penser.", but that sounded terribly wrong after I wrote it. Could you help Powerdoc?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Je me suis mis Ã* penser or je me suis dit or je me suis mis Ã* reflechir or near your translation cela m' a amené Ã* penser. Perhaps the last sentance is the one, who fit more with this sentance.