Crossfire in Mac Pro ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, since apparently you can do SLI in the Mac Pro, is it possible to run Crossfire ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Nope, because Crossfire doesn't currently have chipset-independent drivers, while SLI does.

Now, while we're on this topic, I'd like to note that firstoff, the only way of running SLI on a Mac Pro is either with two 7300GTs, which result in pretty mediocre performance since both of them are the same budget-card and won't be treated as SLI in Mac OS X, or with two PC-standard off-the-shelf Nvidia cards that WON'T WORK in Mac OS X period and will require some clever power supply magic to fully power. So SLI on the Mac right now is a bit basic.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Nope, because Crossfire doesn't currently have chipset-independent drivers, while SLI does.

Now, while we're on this topic, I'd like to note that firstoff, the only way of running SLI on a Mac Pro is either with two 7300GTs, which result in pretty mediocre performance since both of them are the same budget-card and won't be treated as SLI in Mac OS X, or with two PC-standard off-the-shelf Nvidia cards that WON'T WORK in Mac OS X period and will require some clever power supply magic to fully power. So SLI on the Mac right now is a bit basic.

The power supply isnt magic you just need a big ass power supply. Anything above a 6 seriers Nvidia card requires an additional power connect. Most running SLI or Crossfire go with at least a 550 watt supply to attempt to run quad sli that would use some serious power consumption.

Just checked out the motherboard it has two power ports for the optional NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 or ATI Radeon X1900 XT. I couldnt find any states on the power supply.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The "magic" I'm talking about is also known as "having to run your graphics card off of your optical drive's power" which would be impossible for two.

Thus, as you posted above, we're going to need some sort of adapter to make what has so far been deemed Apple-proprietary compatible with the standard GPU power connectors on PC cards.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Could you run the SLI in slots 1 & 2, then put a 7300GT in slot 4 (which can also be x8)? Would the Mac Pro use the card in slot 4 (ignoring the unfamiliar cards) or would it KP, since it doesn't recognize the graphics card, tries to use the 7300GT driver for a different 7x00, and explode?