Core 2 Duo launches monday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/26/c...es-due-monday/

Some stuff should be coming soon. So that will be good. Hopefully they save the laptops for september and release a new iMac. It needs to be done. I want one now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    No, the iMac should have a Conroe in it. The MacBook Pro should be upgraded asap. It's a fucking drop in replacement. THIS IS NOT FREESCALE GIVING YOU PROCESSORS ANYMORE. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR NOT HAVING THE LATEST AND GREATEST THE DAY OF RELEASE!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

No, the iMac should have a Conroe in it. The MacBook Pro should be upgraded asap. It's a fucking drop in replacement. THIS IS NOT FREESCALE GIVING YOU PROCESSORS ANYMORE. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR NOT HAVING THE LATEST AND GREATEST THE DAY OF RELEASE!

Ahmen, brother.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/26/c...es-due-monday/

Some stuff should be coming soon. So that will be good. Hopefully they save the laptops for september and release a new iMac. It needs to be done. I want one now.

Lets just hope MBPs are released monday. Been waiting a month for it and all the speculation was that i would be released first or second week sept. For some reason it seems too good to be true for it to come out in 2 days. But who knows, right?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    well when the heck is conroe!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

well when the heck is conroe!!!!

Conroe pc systems are starting to show up at best buy and even office depot. Apple needs to get on the ball and release some core 2 systems. Any further wait only leaves me with doubt as to Apple's plans for using these chips.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    NEC Releases World's First Intel Core 2 Duo Notebooks

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/artic...cid=18&id=2029

hopefully MacBook Pro will be updated soon with Core 2 Duo CPUs
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

NEC Releases World's First Intel Core 2 Duo Notebooks

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/artic...cid=18&id=2029

hopefully MacBook Pro will be updated soon with Core 2 Duo CPUs

If you check engadget so many have already been released and many more to come...hopefully apple will come out with one...but who knows. they might not want to share the glory with so many other companies.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Dell Core 2 Duo notebooks are now available, too. Here's a sample spec I just put together:

Inspiron 9400:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)

17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

200GB 4200rpm SATA Hard Drive

8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless and Bluetooth

Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

$2,365

Apple would do well to get the Core 2 Duo MBP and iMac out there already (especially the iMac please!!!!).

Come on, already!!!

--DotComCTO

P.S. Going to the 2.16 GHz Merom adds $300.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bballdude0507

If you check engadget so many have already been released and many more to come...hopefully apple will come out with one...but who knows. they might not want to share the glory with so many other companies.

Yeah, Engadget has a boatload of C2D laptops that were announced today. To capture all the media hype at the moment Apple should dive in tomorrow. And DotComCTO, I've got my fingers crossed for an iMac as well.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Hmmm. This is a tough place for Apple and its loyal base. On one hand, we have a veritable FLOOD of new laptops (see engadget! there are a ton of them ) in which Apple doesn't want to get "lost" in. But on the other hand, if they wait too long, students, and parents buying for their students, will go with a Dell or Toshiba if Apple isn't available. There is great disparity in "want now" and "need now", especially during schooltime.

Are there any business majors/execs/MBA's out there who understand the situation enough to explain a reasonable outcome?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    As of 11:50 A.M., Eastern Standard Time, Core 2 Duo for laptops is up at Intel's site.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

As of 11:50 A.M., Eastern Standard Time, Core 2 Duo for laptops is up at Intel's site.

I'll care more when it's up at Apple's site. But thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

I'll care more when it's up at Apple's site. But thanks.

• Reply 14 of 25
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

Are any of them actually shipping to customers yet? Can I buy one in Best Buy or CompUSA today?

Not trying to be a troll...this is a serious question as I have read that they won't be shipping in volume till possibly mid-October.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

But on the other hand, if they wait too long, students, and parents buying for their students, will go with a Dell or Toshiba if Apple isn't available. There is great disparity in "want now" and "need now", especially during schooltime.

Do you really believe more than about 1% of parents and students even know about Core Duo and Core 2 Duo?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Damn, I so want to order, Come on apple
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Do you really believe more than about 1% of parents and students even know about Core Duo and Core 2 Duo?

No, but everyone understands "newer chip." If they go to CompUSA (which sells MBP's next to Windows laptops), and they ask what's the difference between the Apple and the Toshiba, any idiot will be able to compare specs. The sales associate will say, "this Toshiba has a 'newer chip' in it; the new Core 2 Duo." And we all know people like to have the newest and greatest, especially when they cost the same.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Either they'll release the new Apple gear tomorrow (usual Tuesday soft-launch), or they don't want to confuse buyers for the labor day weekend (huge sales weekend) and will wait until the Tuesday after. If I were Apple, I'd clean up on the back to school long weekend and then rollout the new gear when the smoke clears....
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gcarswell

Either they'll release the new Apple gear tomorrow (usual Tuesday soft-launch), or they don't want to confuse buyers for the labor day weekend (huge sales weekend) and will wait until the Tuesday after. If I were Apple, I'd clean up on the back to school long weekend and then rollout the new gear when the smoke clears....

See, now I would do the opposite; I would launch *before* the weekend to take advantage of the number of buyers looking for new machines. I mean, do I (Joe Consumer) want to buy an Apple with "old chip technology" (and yes, I know it's not old) or some other desktop or laptop with the latest chips in them? Now, I think Apple will wait until next week (at least), but I don't think it's the wisest marketing move.

Of course, my point of view is very clouded because I'm anxiously awating an updated iMac (just get me a 20" iMac with a Conroe, 2.4GHz/4MB L2 cache and something like an ATI X1800 and I'm fine).

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO

See, now I would do the opposite; I would launch *before* the weekend to take advantage of the number of buyers looking for new machines. I mean, do I (Joe Consumer) want to buy an Apple with "old chip technology" (and yes, I know it's not old) or some other desktop or laptop with the latest chips in them? Now, I think Apple will wait until next week (at least), but I don't think it's the wisest marketing move.

Of course, my point of view is very clouded because I'm anxiously awating an updated iMac (just get me a 20" iMac with a Conroe, 2.4GHz/4MB L2 cache and something like an ATI X1800 and I'm fine).

--DotComCTO

I agree. From here on out the iMac and Mac Book Pro sales are going to be declining until they are updated. The average "Joe Consumer" may not know or care, but they probably know someone who does know whose advise they are going to ask for. I know I want a new iMac, but won't buy until there is an update, and my Father in-Law is waiting on my advise as well.