SLI in Mac Pro. It's True Onlooker!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    So...hold on, someone boil it down for me.

Ill be able to run 2/3/4 ATI X1950XTX (Are they single PCIe ?)

And will I need anything external ? Or will i have to download anything ?

I do apologise for my lack of knowledge.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You won't be able to do that because there are no chipset-independent Crossfire drivers, and even if there were, the X1950 XTXs would only work in Windows.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    x1950xtx is a single PCIe card, but it's double-wide (it has a fan). This means you can have one in the double-wide slot, one in slot 2, and one in slot 4. However, you can't really use all of that very well.

If the Mac Pro comes with an x19-whatever, you can probably buy a second OS X one, crossfire them, and only have the first one work in OS X.
  • Reply 24 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

That sounds about right. It's just that the 7300GT is a shitty graphics card.

meh.... I've got a Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder.... running on a system with a 1.4GHz P4.. With the OLD socket... no, not that one, the REALLY OLD one: 423.

You want to talk about crappy graphics? how about having a relatively crappy card, and a cpu that can't even keep up with THAT?

<sigh> Time to go get a MacPro.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    He's speaking from the gamer perspective. A card is blazing before it comes out, fast when announced, and slow by the time the benchmarks are available.
  • Reply 26 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

You won't be able to do that because there are no chipset-independent Crossfire drivers, and even if there were, the X1950 XTXs would only work in Windows.

Theres and additional reason. Anything above a Nvidia 6 series will need an additinal power connection to the gpu, it cant just run off the motherboard supplied power. This is why Apple went with 7300 seriers cards because the Power Supply can not handle higher end cards. SLI or Crossfire in most cases requires at least a 500watt power supply, depending how other system requirements some are even going with 1000 watt supplies.

I believe the 7300 series has the same issues as the ATI x1300 series the bottleneck its a pipeline issue about half compared to the next leve 6 series.
  • Reply 27 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

He's speaking from the gamer perspective.

.... well damn. now I'm insulted. Good zing.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

meh.... I've got a Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder.... running on a system with a 1.4GHz P4.. With the OLD socket... no, not that one, the REALLY OLD one: 423.

You want to talk about crappy graphics? how about having a relatively crappy card, and a cpu that can't even keep up with THAT?

<sigh> Time to go get a MacPro.

Nice. Willamette.

I have a processor that doesn't keep up with my graphics card either. Last of the Netburst Pentiums: Intel 571 3.8GHz.
  • Reply 29 of 146
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater

Theres and additional reason. Anything above a Nvidia 6 series will need an additinal power connection to the gpu, it cant just run off the motherboard supplied power. This is why Apple went with 7300 seriers cards because the Power Supply can not handle higher end cards. SLI or Crossfire in most cases requires at least a 500watt power supply, depending how other system requirements some are even going with 1000 watt supplies.

Nope, the Mac Pro has extra GPU power cables that seem to use a custom connector and are essentially identical to Molex cables in power and function. We'll just need a simple adapter to work them with PC-standard cards, and the X1900 XT will probably use one of those connectors by default.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    Wasn't trying to be mean Celemourn, just thought it needed to be said.

And for the record, the Mac Pro has a large power supply. most workstations have 750W or 1KW power supplies. I haven't seen the Mac Pro's power supply's specs, but the Power Mac was a 1KW PS, and I bet Apple didn't cut back too far.
  • Reply 31 of 146
    Mac Pro has a 1000W PSU also iirc. Which means CF would be no problem if someone got it working.
  • Reply 32 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Nope, the Mac Pro has extra GPU power cables that seem to use a custom connector and are essentially identical to Molex cables in power and function. We'll just need a simple adapter to work them with PC-standard cards, and the X1900 XT will probably use one of those connectors by default.

I noticed that. The connection is on the motherboard rather then a connection from the power supply. Dual gpu power connectors.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    Quote:

And for the record, the Mac Pro has a large power supply. most workstations have 750W or 1KW power supplies. I haven't seen the Mac Pro's power supply's specs, but the Power Mac was a 1KW PS, and I bet Apple didn't cut back too far.

Please refer to the third line of my signiature.

***EDIT***

that is, the third line of actual text. Blank lines don't count.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

SLI'ed TWO QuadroX2s

You know, Quad GPU to go with Quad CPU.

That is just a bit too expensive for me right now, but If I sell my Alienware maybe.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

That sounds about right. It's just that the 7300GT is a shitty graphics card.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic

Gamer, gamer!!!! buy a console!!!! defiant, defiant Apple user!!!!, blasphemy, blasphemy!!!!...........

The thing is, at this stage Apple is offering the BEST *STANDARD* out-of-the-box graphics cards this century.

With Bootcamp WinXP2, let's take Mac games out of the equation. The MacBookPro and iMac come with ATI x1600, which really is pretty decent even now in the PC Gaming world.

The offering for the Mac Pro is quite staggering, if you consider that the PowerMac G5 was shipping with an absolutely pathetic 6600 *LE* and 6600 standard. Not even a bloody 6600GT!!

The 7300GT as standard recommendation is quite a decent card. 128bit path with 256mb RAM. It's a "GT" which has a reputation for decent performance even with punishing new games - just have to turn down antialiasing to 2x, no soft shadows, and some other settings to medium-high. Remember that now, for the MacBookPro, iMac, and Mac Pro, you can play the latest PC games at medium-to-mid-high qualities for this year, and in 2007, latest games at medium quality. This is overall is unprecedented for any Mac.

I agree that for gaming, I am probably going to go PS3 or something and just hook it up to my 1280x1024 LCD (the LCD also being used for my AMD64) if possible.

The fact still remains that when you purchase a premium, high-standard Mac, ie, MacBookPro and Mac Pro, and a "mid-range" iMac Core Duo, you are getting dualcore or quadcore CPUs and decent PC gaming graphics cards

Again, I propose that Apple is at an unprecedented stage in it's offerings, particularly OSX Tiger, latest Intel gear, decent graphics cards, ability to run Windows, and a Quadcore beast for $2,500... I'm feeling impressed at this stage.

AND THAT YOU CAN RUN SLI IN MAC PRO
  • Reply 36 of 146
    Quote:

Specs for Mac Pro are:

# Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 200-240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)

# Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz single phase

# Current: Maximum of 12A (low-voltage range) or 6A (high-voltage range)

If Watts = Volt x Amps

Then we are looking at 1440 Watts Max

So yeah, looks like a nice 1000W power supply (very rough adjusting for Max rated with "actual published" rating).

Actually 1000W is pretty huge over the PC world's 500W and 650W rated power supplies. A decent 650W power supply can drive SLI'ed two 7900GTX on a nice Core2 (Conroe) 2.66 overclocked to 2.8ghz for example...... AFAIK

Edit: Given that you can drive FOUR 7300GT's and FOUR hard disks and TWO optical drives alongside your 3ghz Xeon Quad, I'd say the Mac Pro power supply is pretty sweet
  • Reply 37 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

That is just a bit too expensive for me right now, but If I sell my Alienware maybe.

I just finished seeing Season4 of 24 (yes I am way behind but whatever) ... Notice how the terrorists were using Alienware?
  • Reply 38 of 146
    Yeah - hopefully power won't be an issue for Mac Pros. My real question, however, is about SLI power draw at idle. If my computer is asleep or in Mac OS X, am I still running up the power bill?
  • Reply 39 of 146
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

I just finished seeing Season4 of 24 (yes I am way behind but whatever) ... Notice how the terrorists were using Alienware?

And at the time they were far ahead of Apple video card wise, and not much has changed in that department. SLI still doesn't run in OS X, and all the good cards run under windows. Go figure. \
  • Reply 40 of 146
    Does anyone know if and when new Graphiccards with EFI are comming? I cancelled my Mac Pro order with x1900xt and picked up a standard 2.66 modell.

I tried some games under bootcamp (installed on a external hd), Far Cry, Half-Life2, CS: S, Dark Messiah, Riddick all runned decently at 1280x800 heighest detail and 4x AA, but it still looks so pixelated and if I go with higher resolutions, the frames drop dramaticly.

Not that I'm a hardcore gamer, I'm mostly working under OSX and play games on rainy days (a lot to come...), but I'd like to have a setup which will run games well for the next 2-3 years and the 7300 GT is way to weak for that.