new form factor for next macbook pro?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
while we all wait for the macbook & macbook pros to get the merom chip(september?)....I wonder if the form factor for the mbp will finally have a radical change in its form factor? Or would that most likely happen in January or the release of santa rosa?

just curious what u all think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Steve himself has said that the current form factor is already "perfect", and I tend to agree. For the near future, any case changes will be based on the current MBP case.

Here's what I expect/can imagine:

-New keyboard. Something like what the MacBook has, but better built, and with illumination (obviously).

-Trackpad button with context click support -- still one physical button, but senses and distinguishes between left and right click, like the Mighty Mouse. (Probably not.)

-Higher-resolution screens. Finally up to 1680x1050 on 15.4" screens -- but only once Leopard is out with resolution independence, one of the top secret, unannounced-but-everyone-knows-its-coming features.

-Magnetic latch, like on the MacBook. (Yay!) This one is definite -- the physical latches have been nothing but trouble, and the magnetic latches on the MacBook are super-awesome.

-Hybrid SATA drives with flash for caching (instant-boot!). Not until 2007, though.

-The return of FireWire 800 on the 15.4" model, possibly.

-Faster SuperDrives, at last. Eventually, Blu-Ray burners, but these will be hideously expensive.

-I have a feeling something is going to be happening on the battery front. Much larger batteries, or some brand-new technology that Apple may be the first to adopt... But I see this as being more in the distant future (2008?).

-Black. I think bare aluminum's done, for now, and the Pro lines will go black again. Anodized aluminum? I don't think the outer material will be changed...
  • Reply 2 of 52
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I like and agree with everything you just said m01ety.

But I have heard that Dell has a 15 inch laptop that has a 1920x1080 LCD screen. If that's true and that technology is out there it's definteily something Apple needs to get at least in their 17" MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety

-Higher-resolution screens. Finally up to 1680x1050 on 15.4" screens -- but only once Leopard is out with resolution independence, one of the top secret, unannounced-but-everyone-knows-its-coming features.

Yes I definitely want higher resolution screens. That's always annoyed me about Apple laptops. It's totally possible to do:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751
  • Reply 4 of 52
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's going to be have a screen that you can flip around, and down over the keyboard so you can write on it using a stylus. (wishful thinking)
  • Reply 5 of 52
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    -New keyboard. Something like what the MacBook has, but better built, and with illumination (obviously).

I agree. I'm rather fond of the macbook keyboard.

-Trackpad button with context click support -- still one physical button, but senses and distinguishes between left and right click, like the Mighty Mouse. (Probably not.)

Um, from what I've heard about the mighty mouse, this would probably be a bad idea. I'd rather they just add the actual button and be done with it.

I hope so :-(.

-Magnetic latch, like on the MacBook. (Yay!) This one is definite -- the physical latches have been nothing but trouble, and the magnetic latches on the MacBook are super-awesome.

-Hybrid SATA drives with flash for caching (instant-boot!). Not until 2007, though.

Yea, I'd say they're gonna go with the magnetic latch, too. So long as they work it out where it won't warp the lid.

Personally, I wish they'd just do away with FireWire and replace the ports with USB 2.0.

-Faster SuperDrives, at last. Eventually, Blu-Ray burners, but these will be hideously expensive.

Eh, I'd settle for just an option to include the Blu-Ray drive, it doesn't have to be standard.

-I have a feeling something is going to be happening on the battery front. Much larger batteries, or some brand-new technology that Apple may be the first to adopt... But I see this as being more in the distant future (2008?).

Um, not sure what new technology they would use. The ultra capacitors and stuff aren't ready yet, to my knowledge.

-Black. I think bare aluminum's done, for now, and the Pro lines will go black again. Anodized aluminum? I don't think the outer material will be changed...

I'd buy it
  • Reply 6 of 52
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lust

Personally, I wish they'd just do away with FireWire and replace the ports with USB 2.0.

I'm glad you don't get to decide, then.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Sometimes I think the same but solely in the interests of unification. I would personally like one day to see all devices including displays connected using one standard interface.

On the subject of firewire and USB, I don't think Apple will drop firewire for a very long time. Firewire was designed by Apple and it won an award:

http://developer.apple.com/hardwared...ire/index.html

Quote:

In fact, Apple's FireWire technology was honored by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, receiving a 2001 Primetime Emmy Engineering Award for FireWire's impact on the television industry.

The reason being it is really well designed. Better than USB2. This site explains the difference:

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

Quote:

FireWire, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower data flow control)

Firewire is far better for sustained throughput thanks to dual isochronous and asynchronous capability, the former being essential for avoiding dropped frames when capturing video. This is why pretty much every digital camcorder in existence has firewire and not usb.

This setup pretty much allows all devices on the chain to receive equal bandwidth whereas USB2 devices are shared. This is likely why my uncle's PC gets USB bandwidth overloaded messages all the time. It's also why you only need one firewire port but multiple USB ports. You could in theory run every device you have from one firewire port (mouse, keyboard, HD).

USB also has higher driver overhead so file transfers use your CPU unlike firewire.

As usual, because firewire was Apple's invention, it was shunned by the PC community and USB2 was adopted and so most consumer devices are compatible with it. For professionals, lack of firewire is not an option. It's a better name and logo if you ask me too.

If anything, we should drop USB.

In keepnig with the thread topic, I believe the Macbook form factor is perfect too. It's thinner than my powerbook by about 1/4 inch. The battery fits really well unlike the ibook and the Ram and HD are insanely easy to replace. I was disappointed with my ibook (love my powerbook though) but I would seriously consider a Macbook purchase. I've changed my mind about liking the glossy display though. It reflects more than I thought it would.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Personally, I wish they'd just do away with FireWire and replace the ports with USB 2.0.'

Oh really?

How would you connect your DV camera?
  • Reply 9 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think the changes to the current form factor will be magnetic latch closing.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Broken record: port replicator and docking station.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Steve himself has said that the current form factor is already "perfect", and I tend to agree. For the near future, any case changes will be based on the current MBP case.

Perfection in form and functionality was the Pismo with two hotswappable battery bays.

my g4 1.5Ghz that replaced it maybe a faster machine but it's unusable on the road compared to my pismo days. i rarely burn DVD's or CD's so i'd rather be able to put in another battery and swap in the dvd/cd burner when need be.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Here's what I expect/can imagine:.

m01ety, I like your thinking.

If they do those simple suggestions, I purchase my first ProBook since the Lombard.

There's no reason they need to futz around by holding features back. All the consumer products are dual core, so let's get the features rolling on the pro models.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

But I have heard that Dell has a 15 inch laptop that has a 1920x1080 LCD screen. If that's true and that technology is out there it's definteily something Apple needs to get at least in their 17" MBP.

These displays are out for at least two years now.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

These displays are out for at least two years now.

why some one needs that resoultion at low screen size? 15"

Are not we happy with Cinema Display connected with MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 15 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

why some one needs that resoultion at low screen size? 15"

While I can accept that there are probably uses for such displays, I feel that they exist because of the perception "bigger is better". My wife's Dell has one of those, but I find it quite uncomfortable to do general work at this resolution and this display size.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie

Oh really?

How would you connect your DV camera?

1. I don't use a DV camera.

2. If I did, I would use that little port called USB because, guess what, it actually works! Those little holes are not for aesthetics ^_^.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

2. If I did, I would use that little port called USB because, guess what, it actually works! Those little holes are not for aesthetics ^_^.

If you did, you'd see your DV camera likely has firewire ports, not USB ports. There are exceptions but firewire is the more reliable interface for DV:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/sho...d.php?t=124266

I work at a small film studio and every professional camera they have has firewire as well as the hard drive based capture units. Final Cut Pro only supports firewire as well as imovie and the same goes for most NLE software.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

I have a top of the line Sony prosumer camcorder and it has both ports. the firewire port relays video and the usb port is for stills only. it is very apparent when there is a dropped frame
  • Reply 19 of 52
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    USB better than FW?

You are pulling our collective left tit, right?
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Can you not read!? This thread is about FW being better then USB.