Gin Blossoms to rock Apple Store SoHo tonight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An alternative rock band popular in the 1990s has recently reunited and will swing by Apple Computer's retail store in downtown Manhattan this evening to play a one hour set.

Apple's flagship store in SoHo will be closing its second-floor Genius Bar at 7:00 p.m. to prepare for a special performance by the Gin Blossom, which is due to take place between 8:00 to 9:00 pm.

The Tempe, Arizona-based band released three albums and had several Billboard Top 25 hits, including "Hey Jealousy," "Found Out About You," and "Til I Hear It From You," before breaking up in 1997.

After reuniting in 2002, the group began work on their fourth album, "Major Lodge Victory", which was released about three weeks ago.

Apple's flagship location on Fifth Avenue, just a few minutes north of the SoHo store, is also a frequent host of music events. The 24-hour store earlier this month hosted a live Midnight Mix by Ali Shaheed, a popular DJ from the musical group A Tribe Called Quest.

(Image copyright: Garden Seeker Productions)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Free Gin shots for the guys and blossoming flowers for the ladies?

Or were the blossoms grown with gin and not water?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Wow! Straight from Rye Playland to the Apple Store?!?! Gin Blossoms are teh r0x0rz!!!1111!!11one!!!11!!!eleventy!!!!111!!

Sorry - I couldn't resist, but I know should have.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 3 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Sweet. Nothing like a washed up band that sucked in the first place
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Apple store poster:

Gin Blossoms in concert!

because we needed a band with a fanbase less than our fire code occupancy, we think we pulled it off.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    One step up from the county fair I guess. Not quite as humiliating as Hootie playing at a local Wal-Mart though.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin

One step up from the county fair I guess. Not quite as humiliating as Hootie playing at a local Wal-Mart though.

Music at our fair here in Lafayette In isnt bad...if you caught Americas Got Tallent, we have loads of local "bar" bands that are that good, we also were the hometown of Axel Rose, 1/2 of G&R so it seems that here in hickville Lafayette, we have a better music scene than SoHo NY
  • Reply 7 of 19
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Explain that photo to me.

It looks like the guy being tossed will land about halfway. And at the far end, someone has been tossed all the way. So what's the object? Are they just throwing for distance or is there more to it?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Sweet. Nothing like a washed up band that sucked in the first place

Agreed
  • Reply 9 of 19
    What? Vanilla Ice was busy?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They're saving him for the introduction of a semitranslucent white Xeon Cube with liquid cooling.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

They're saving him for the introduction of a semitranslucent white Xeon Cube with liquid cooling.

No, no, no...that would be MC Hammer
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Will the first video for the true video iPod be "Learning the Hard Way" by the Gin Blossoms!?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Apple store poster:

Gin Blossoms in concert!

because we needed a band with a fanbase less than our fire code occupancy, we think we pulled it off.

Now that is some good stuff.....
  • Reply 14 of 19
    i hope this means some new ipod announcement. i had a long day.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I liked the Gin Blossoms back in the day.

The one thing that was really good about them was the lyrics of Doug Hopkins.

But they fired Hopkins, who later committed suicide.

The only hits they ever had were written by Hopkins.

Without Doug's lyrics they are nothing special.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    In reference to the image at the end of the story, it is nice to see someone other than midgets getting tossed for a change.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    interesting that I cannot get onto the ITMS right now... Yes my "internet" works otherwise.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

interesting that I cannot get onto the ITMS right now... Yes my "internet" works otherwise.

Interesting that I **can** log-on to iTunes Music Store right now.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    "Gin Blossoms to rock..."

Oddly enough, I think this phrase can be found in Webster's under "oxymoron."