sound quality

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm getting a new Apple Hi-fi docking station and would like to purchase some music for it. My dilemma is getting a couple albums from the music store which I can then switch the format over to Apple lossless encoder. This would be a good idea but out of the album their would only be 2 songs I like. If I purchase individual songs through itunes wouldn?t it download in 128bit AAC format no matter what? I was told when purchasing music through itunes it downloads in AAC unconditionally which is lower quality then AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless Encoder etc.. I'm just trying to get the best quality sound I can. Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan1989

I'm getting a new Apple Hi-fi docking station and would like to purchase some music for it. My dilemma is getting a couple albums from the music store which I can then switch the format over to Apple lossless encoder. This would be a good idea but out of the album their would only be 2 songs I like. If I purchase individual songs through itunes wouldn?t it download in 128bit AAC format no matter what? I was told when purchasing music through itunes it downloads in AAC unconditionally which is lower quality then AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless Encoder etc.. I'm just trying to get the best quality sound I can. Please help.

128 bit AAC. Everything at the iTMS (although I've seen rumors of apparently random variants).

You might check out something like allofmp3.com, which allows you to download various quality levels for different prices.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Even if I switch the preferances around to the Lossless Encoder before I download through itunes? Sorry for the noob question btw.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    That only applies to ripping from CD. You *will* get 128k/s AAC.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mazkmazk Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

128 bit AAC. Everything at the iTMS (although I've seen rumors of apparently random variants).

You might check out something like allofmp3.com, which allows you to download various quality levels for different prices.

The quality of allofMP3's rips are variable. Sometimes it's worse than iTMS regardless of what bitrate you choose for delivery.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Didn't know that, since I'm not a user of there site. Good to know.