Current quarter iPod sales tracking below plan - analyst

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While admitting that it may be too early to make a precise call on Apple Computer's September quarter iPod shipments, one Wall Street analyst says data from the first month shows sales to be tracking just below expectations.

In a research note released to clients on Tuesday, PiperJaffray analyst Gene Munster said his analysis of NPD data from the month of July -- the first month in Apple's September quarter -- suggests iPod sales of around 8.0 million for the quarter.

Munster had modeled Apple to sell 8.6 million iPods in the September quarter, which he says the company can still achieve if it ships a new or updated iPod nano by the end of September.

"While our iPod NPD extrapolation analysis suggests that iPod shipments through the month of July are tracking slightly below plan, we continue to believe that Apple will ship new/updated iPods (likely updated nano) in September," Munster wrote.

"Assuming Apple does ship new iPods in September and depending on the timing of shipment within the month, we believe it is still possible that our 8.6m unit estimate for the quarter can be achieved."

Based on the July NPD data, the analyst said investors should expect slight downside to his 8.6 million unit estimate if Apple fails to produce a new iPod by the end of September.

Munster maintains an "Outperform" rating on Apple shares with a price target of $99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Not really surprising, given the (admitted) time since the last update.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    So... no new iPods at the labor day announcements???
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I personally am waiting at the gate for a new release or update instead of getting a new one now...it looks like about 600,000 others might be there with me.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychboy

I personally am waiting at the gate for a new release or update instead of getting a new one now...it looks like about 600,000 others might be there with me.

I'm with you
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

I'm with you

But let's face it; the average iPod buyer doesn't even know who Apple is until they get their shiny new scratch-magnet home and start installing iTunes.

September's the month for students/children to be getting new computers so iPods are lower down the shopping lists.

Who are these analysts anyway? Does their opinion matter two hoots? Does my option matter two hoots? Ah nevermind...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Last year's product + full price = low sales

Hardly rocket science.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad

Last year's product + full price = low sales

Hardly rocket science.

I wonder how the sales of refurbished iPods are doing now. I must admit that I was heavily tempted to pick up one at the current prices.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Isn't this exactly what the boneheads said last quarter? They were wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I guess this means Munster is the new Wu.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I guess this means Munster is the new Wu.

technically, Gene Munster would have to repeat the phrase "we firmly believe" every 16.2 words to be named the new WuMaster.
  • Reply 11 of 12
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by todd78 View Post

Good information shared

[right]Sales tracking sales tracking software Sales lead tracking software[/right]

Three years ago.