MacBook Pro and graphic design applications

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I admit that this is a bit late for research but I have a brand new (it's not even been plugged in yet) MacBook Pro 2.16GHz dual core Intel with 1GB RAM when I realised there are a lot of issues.

I need it for taking work with me on travels in about 6 weeks time. Hopefully, someone can advise me since I have read here about the Intel issues with Adobe software etc.

I will need to run the following software:

Quark XPress 6.1,

Adobe Illustrator CS2,

Adobe Photoshop 7 (upgrade to CS needed?),

MS Office vX 10.1.4 - mostly MS Word (upgrade to 2004 needed?)

Adobe GoLive 6 (upgrade to CS needed?)

Adobe Acrobat Reader

I have asked Quark XPress and tech support say that neither 6.5 nor 7 will work on Intel mac. Then, I hadn't even heard about Rosetta and Quark didn't mention it.

Short term I need a laptop that runs problem-free when travelling (not very often). Long term, I'd like to get rid of My old G4 PowerPC and replace it with the MacBook Pro as my only machine - so this one seemed like an ideal solution, until now.

What should I do? Go back to the shop with the MacBook Pro and swop for a 'safer' laptop option, or should I be able to get the MBP to run fine.

If the latter, how do I install all the old software? Can I do a FireWire Target Mode transfer and copy across, then test the applications? If not working, can I install on MBP using the original, non-Universal instal disks?

Appreciate any advice on this, thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Johan Siebke

I will need to run the following software:

Quark XPress 6.1,

Adobe Illustrator CS2,

Adobe Photoshop 7 (upgrade to CS needed?),

MS Office vX 10.1.4 - mostly MS Word (upgrade to 2004 needed?)

Adobe GoLive 6 (upgrade to CS needed?)

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Quark 6.1 seems to start up and run ok under rosetta, but I haven't given it any hammering yet. Illustrator CS2 is fine if a little slow. Photoshop 7 I haven't tried, although I imaging it is a little more stable than the demanding CS2. Acrobat reader is cool. The rest I have not tried. Creative Suite 2 will run well except for cue under rosetta, albeit on the slow side.

Bear this in mind:

There are NO native intel versions (for mac) of:

Creative Suite (Release of intel version said to be early 2007. Will be no free upgrades)

MS Office (Release of intel version also said to be early 2007. No free upgrades either)

Quark (Intel release scratched last time I heard, although knowing quark, a v7.1 will probably be a free upgrade)

Three solutions:

1. Put up with rosetta being flakey on your apps

2. Get a PPC laptop. (your old machine if it is a laptop would be as good as it gets I think.)

3. Buy windows, and windows versions of your software, and run those on your laptop in the interim. It'll work blazing fast, but this is costly, and daunting for the new user.

I wouldn't pay money for new obselete (ppc only) versions of the software. It'll get you nowhere but frustrated.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks, Tag Me Back - it calms my nerves somewhat.

I am quite happy to run the old versions of software if they work, so I will try that first.

Which brings me to my next question: How do I go about it now? I am somewhat technically challenged, but since I am starting from scratch (as I mentioned, the MBP is so new I haven't plugged it in yet), I might as well try and do it the least painful way.

Shall I configure my MBP with set-up assistant and using my old tower G4 as target disk in order to transfer files, applications and settings? If applications don't work, should I install them on my MBP from the old G4 (the MBP being a target disk) or just install straight on to the MBP from the software cds?

Or something else?

As for your solutions:

I will not buy Windows versions of my software, rather buy a 2nd hand PPC laptop (my other machine is a tower). So I'll risk the headache and try the Rosetta route untill intel-friendly versions appear. Quark Tech Support, by the way, said a Universal 7.01 will come but not when (which they never tell).

Cheers,
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Hi Johan,

Although Tag Me Back reports ok performance of these apps under rosetta, given that all the apps you want to use are PPC only, I would strongly recommend that you get yourself a second-hand PowerBook G4 until Intel-native versions come out. The G4 will definitely run all this PPC software better than your Intel Mac.

If you do decide to stick it out with rosetta, I would recommend installing the apps directly from their install CDs.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'm revisiting this thread as I am now back from my trip and can report how it went.

I stuck to the newly purchased MBP and installed the relevant software from discs, all of them non-Universal running under Rosetta. I haven't done any heavy-duty work, so didn't really put it to the test, but my impression is only positive.

I mainly used Quark XPress 6.1 and Photoshop 7 and a touch of Illustrator CS2 + a little of MS Office vX. I had no unexpected quits, the performance was good, I would say to some extent faster than on my G4 PPC with dual 1GHz processors. Especially when opening and rasterising a very complex Illustrator file in large size in Photoshop it went much faster.

In addition, the MBP is totally silent and beautiful! I have mostly used it from mains power, so not sure how warm it gets when using it extensively on battery only.

So, conclusion: I am very happy with it indeed!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Hi Johan,

Thanks for the update. Glad things went O.K.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I was worried about the PPC apps under Rosetta too but I've just been comparing CS2 (illustrator, photoshop, indesign), Macromedia suite, Office 2004, on an Intel imac compared to a G5 imac and it holds up pretty well. I definitely think it's faster than a G4. Launching the apps is actually faster on the Intel machine.