Why the delay on an imac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I purchased an imac a week ago online maxing out everything I could from apple. My scheduled shipping date was Aug 28th. I got an email this morning that the shipping date has been changed to two weeks later. What could be the hold up on the imac? The hardware has been around for a while and it is just a hard drive, video card, and ram upgrade. My need of a computer fast because my other one died was the reason for the imac and not saving up a bit for the pro. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    That'll be a new model you'll be getting...

David
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zybala

I purchased an imac a week ago online maxing out everything I could from apple. My scheduled shipping date was Aug 28th. I got an email this morning that the shipping date has been changed to two weeks later. What could be the hold up on the imac? The hardware has been around for a while and it is just a hard drive, video card, and ram upgrade. My need of a computer fast because my other one died was the reason for the imac and not saving up a bit for the pro. What does everyone think?

Dude, you're gettin' an upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    zybalazybala Posts: 20member
    What is the upgrade? How is the model going to be different than what I ordered? Or are you saying that the model I ordered is a newer model so they need an extra 2 weeks for some reason? I'm just trying to understand. I was a PC user and this is my first mac and I have never encountered anything like this with any pc companies I have ordered from, i.e. Gateway or Dell.

Any one who can help me understand this? A website maybe that has information about it?

Thank you

Brian
  • Reply 4 of 7
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Basically, Apple usually does not announce updates to their computers until they are happy to stop selling the old one and start shipping the new one. So, sometimes, they start running short of inventory of an old model, so new orders are delayed for a short while until the new version is announced.

David
  • Reply 5 of 7
    And everyone anticipates Apple to adopt the new Core 2 Duo chip in the iMac. Like iMacfan said, the timing of all of this is unknown -- but chances are any (Tues)day now.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zybalazybala Posts: 20member
    does that mean I should cancle my order and wait until the new imac comes out?

I only ordered a week ago because I needed a computer now.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zybala

does that mean I should cancle my order and wait until the new imac comes out?

I only ordered a week ago because I needed a computer now.

The new iMac is just speculation. But it is reasonable speculation based on long term Apple practices.

Now could we have this thread moved to Future Currentware?