Exodus and Moses' volcano God

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
just found this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5287124.stm

basically, huge volcanic eruption about 1500BC, caused massive damage and tsunami around the Mediterranean. Cue Moses, receives sign from God through a volcano, or the volcano God Baal leads moses out of Egypt around about the same time or just a bit later.

Same event or a trigger for a mythology to arise around an event? Perhaps someone with better understanding could comment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    There was a documentary about this theory on the History channel a week ago I think. It was very interesting. Other than that, I don't have much to add. Sorry about the lack of better understanding.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    so it was very interesting but you cant remember any of it?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Ok, I can tell you what I remember (I was flipping channels because I don't like television and I'm very ADD while watching). I didn't see the beginning I flipped to it when they were talking about the water turning to blood. This was explained by a very high concentration of iron in the water from volcanic activity, I think. Apparently this water to blood thing has happened in some lake fairly recently, and by that I mean in the past 50 years or something like that. After this I changed the channel because I was bored. When I changed back they were on the last plague. This was explained by carbon dioxide that had been released from the volcano. The history channel said that only the first born egyptians were affected because they were asleep on low-lying beds, first born privilege, while their siblings slept on roofs, carts and other higher up stuff. The jews weren't affected because they were standing and eating passover. This time I didn't change the channel, I just went into another room. When I returned they were explaining the parting of the red sea. However, I don't recall what they said about that. Sorry for my sketchy details but I wasn't really watching the show. I'll try and find a link to it.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    http://www.historychannel.com/thcsearch/thc_search.do After clicking that search for: "The Exodus Decoded"

I think that was the show I saw. Looks like it is going to be on again on Sept. 7.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It was a really good documentary.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    the volcano in question was thera now known as santorini in the greek isles. i was ther last year for a wedding. once you look down the caldera at the med waters below, you realize how powerful of an explosion it must have been. it's quite breath taking.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

The jews weren't affected because they were standing and eating passover.

Sorry that makes no sense. So the Jews were standing and celebrating a holiday of which the events they were living through? It would be as if the entire pagan world celebrated Christmas the year Jesus was born.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

Sorry that makes no sense. So the Jews were standing and celebrating a holiday of which the events they were living through? It would be as if the entire pagan world celebrated Christmas the year Jesus was born.

The way I understand these events the night the "angel of death" came was the first passover. Doesn't it kind of make sense, the "angel of death" PASSED OVER the Jews. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that I am in this case.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    If we are going to take anything in any religious book literally, then the Jews may have well been awake during the progression of the CO2 cloud, but they certainly weren't having a Passover Seder, being the celebratory act of Passover...

Your understanding of the origin of the term passover is remarkable.

Edit: And actually Passover is probably a misnomer... hover over or protect is probably a better sense...
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:

If we are going to take anything in any religious book literally, then the Jews may have well been awake during the progression of the CO2 cloud, but they certainly weren't having a Passover Seder, being the celebratory act of Passover...

Your understanding of the origin of the term passover is remarkable.

No need to get snippy this is how I've had it explained to me numerous times. Would you mind explaining to me exactly why I'm wrong, and where Passover originated?
  • Reply 11 of 57
    You are wrong in that the holiday of Passover requires a telling of the tale of Exodus and a variety of other cultural artifacts all of which requires on the part of the people living at the time advanced knowledge of the events to come. To take another example from the old testament, it would be as if the Jews in the story of Purim were celebrating their survival and Ester's boldness before it even happened. The actual holiday of Passover originates much later than Exodus; although interestingly enough, because Judaism is supposed to be a source religion, and Abraham and his ilk were supposed to have been Jewish they are supposed to have been able to intuit all the holidays that Judaism would acquire for all time (which is btw, an idiotic (and medieval) way of thinking).

As far as the origin of the english term Passover, see the mistranslation of King James...
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Haha. Interesting, I think I understand.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

It was a really good documentary.

Absolutely. I keep waiting for the DVD to be released. The company is Toronto-based as well.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:

The Passover commemorates the event that took place on that particular night.

On an entirely unrelated note (and before Marc brings it up) Christmas is celebrated on Dec. 25 because the early Church was attempting to "christianize" a pagan winter celebration called Saturnalia.

So yes, gift-giving was taking place on Dec. 25 before Jesus was born.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    And dont forget, that Easter originated by the pagan celebration of painting eggs because the Goddess Ishtar fell down from heaven in a giant egg and landed in the river Euphrates. Of course, 'fluid' thinking tells me that Easter is the clebration of the reflection of the moon in water and jack all to do with a resurrecting Jesus.

Carry on...
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Random thought of the day:- why is it strange that as soon as segovius stops posting, then dmz goes away aswell?
  • Reply 17 of 57
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

Random thought of the day:- why is it strange that as soon as segovius stops posting, then dmz goes away aswell?

Hm. You know, I don't think I've ever seen Janet and Michael Jackson in the same place at the same time, either.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    there was another history channel discussion of the plagues and the first born died because by custom they ate first (i guess when the family is hungary or starved and it was a mold or fungus on the limited grain that the first born ate that killed them, they ate first died first. does history channel part of itunes so i could download this , it's a facinating theory.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Yes, it was a documentary that detailed the idea that all 10 plagues were connected and not simply random in nature.

Can't remember the name, but it was fascinating to watch.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

Yes, it was a documentary that detailed the idea that all 10 plagues were connected and not simply random in nature.

Can't remember the name, but it was fascinating to watch.

"Exodus Decoded"?