Apple reduces cost of ATI card for Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer has lowered the cost of the ATI X1900XT graphics card that was introduced alongside the company's Mac Pro line of desktop computers this month.

The 512MB, 2 x dual-link DVI graphics card was introduced with a price tag of $350 (when purchased with a Mac Pro) but is now priced at $250, according to checks with the Apple online store.

"Apple is pleased to announce a price drop for the Mac Pro you recently ordered," the company wrote in an email to Apple Store online customers. "We have automatically adjusted your order to reflect the new price."

Though welcomed by early Mac Pro adopters, no explanation for the $100 price reduction was offered. In its e-mail to customers, Apple also failed to mention the X1900XT specifically.

Mac Pro orders configured with the still-unreleased graphics card have been delayed by several weeks. Apple is currently listing estimated ship times of mid-September for those systems that have been on order.

The Apple online store is also offering the X1900XT as a standalone product for $399, which was similarly reduced from $499.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    ¡Holy frijoles!
  • Reply 2 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm pretty happy, halfway towards a RAM upgrade for me.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    As with most things in my country (wher I lives) we get ripped-off. Still a €300 ad-on here, that is equal to $383. Tax-included here, but still as with everything it ends up being more expensive here than da states. Take the €799 20" display here, that's equal to $1,020, when ye pay $699+tax. I think we're seeing a pattern here.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's a lot more like it for that option. Now, how about that memory? That's probably way to much to expect, though I expect a little more realistic pricing from the third parties.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Well, since they are just using PC cards, why not charge somewhere in the neighborhood of the PC price...there is nothing special about the Apple graphics cards in the intel boxes,,,there couldnt really be, the whole firmware argument seems to be shot down by the fact that not only can WinXP on a MP load with the Mac cards, but with PC SLI cards, so the bios only firmware can work with EFI, the problem is the drivers in OSX (surprise surprise)

<rant> Just imagine the Mac Pro with an off-the-shelf SLI or Crossfire setup, imagine 2 of those bad ass 7900s working in tandom on apps like Motion...if only, if only...
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Well, since they are just using PC cards, why not charge somewhere in the neighborhood of the PC price...

What am I missing here?

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=17

Apple wants $250 US for the 1900 XT 512.

ATI wants $399 for the 1900 XTX 512 and $299 for their 1900 GT 256.

Seems competitive to me, at least as an upgrade, especially when we can just overclock the XT with ATIccelerator. \
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SharkBait

What am I missing here?

Seems competitive to me, at least as an upgrade, especially when we can just overclock the XT with ATIccelerator. \

Because for $250 you're *swapping* the 7300 for the 1900XT. Look at the kit price of 399 for the real price.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Because for $250 you're *swapping* the 7300 for the 1900XT. Look at the kit price of 399 for the real price.

Regular 7300 cards can be had for $80, so the upgrade is well worth it. I don't know if the typical 7300 has dual link DVI though, I haven't paid attention to that.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Look at the kit price of 399 for the real price.

Caught that. So, we're loosing about 10% clock speed, which we can overclock back anyway, and paying the same that ATI charges. \
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

As with most things in my country (wher I lives) we get ripped-off. Still a ?300 ad-on here, that is equal to $383. Tax-included here, but still as with everything it ends up being more expensive here than da states. Take the ?799 20" display here, that's equal to $1,020, when ye pay $699+tax. I think we're seeing a pattern here.

It's all clear to me now. Apple hates the Irish.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

That's a lot more like it for that option. Now, how about that memory? That's probably way to much to expect, though I expect a little more realistic pricing from the third parties.

Why did Apple choose to go with ECC memory? I remember an Apple store employee once telling me that I didn't need to buy it for my G5 PowerMac because it was only useful for servers. It's way more expensive than standard memory - they should at least give you an option to go with standard.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster

Why did Apple choose to go with ECC memory? I remember an Apple store employee once telling me that I didn't need to buy it for my G5 PowerMac because it was only useful for servers. It's way more expensive than standard memory - they should at least give you an option to go with standard.

Standard DDR2 ECC memory is only about 15-20% more expensive than standard DDR2 non-ECC memory. The bulk of the cost for the Mac Pro is not ECC by itself, but the specialized FB-DIMMs and a fairly excessive mark-up for the extra heat sinks.

The market generally considers ECC memory a requirement for workstation computers. It protects your data from random bit flip corruptions.

The only way to get an Intel quad system is to use a workstation or server chipset, and all those Intel chipsets require FB-DIMMs.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    just before they ship too, so i reap the reward!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Now if Intel will just drop the proce of its processors, Segate, Hitachi and WD will drop the proces of their HD's, Sony drop the proce of there DL-DVD, Mem manuf drop the price of their ram we should be set by thie time mine ships.

jbcaro
  • Reply 15 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Xlr8yourmac.com is reporting that OWC just lowered their price from $550 to $495. They say their prices are down for them so they are passing it on, but I think they were greedy, and realised it. But, it's still not much lower.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

What am I missing here?

1900XT != XTX, IIRC XT is not crossfire capable, XTX is.

Also thee GT has a much lower clockrate and half the ram of the XT.

EDIT: Remember, these are worksations, NOT gaming rigs, the folks getting these for the most part will not touch overclockers because it breaks support and may void the warrenty. If your little gaming rig goes down and you cant play WoW for a few days, too bad, so sad; OTOH, If, for example, a 3-D animators workstation goes down and Pixar falls a week behind on a movie, that is a huge problem...
  • Reply 17 of 36
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

It's all clear to me now. Apple hates the Irish.

Who doesn't?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

What am I missing here?

Firstoff, it's an upgrade, so make that a $300 X1900 XT 512 adding $250 to the $50 worth of the 7300GT.

Secondly, the recommended retail price on ATI's site is a meager reflection of how much the value of that card has declined on such sites as Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com since its release more than half a year ago.

Thirdly, the X1950 XTX has recently been announced, further pushing the value of the now-superceded X1900 XT down.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Firstoff, it's an upgrade, so make that a $300 X1900 XT 512 adding $250 to the $50 worth of the 7300GT.

Secondly, the recommended retail price on ATI's site is a meager reflection of how much the value of that card has declined on such sites as Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com since its release more than half a year ago.

Thirdly, the X1950 XTX has recently been announced, further pushing the value of the now-superceded X1900 XT down.

Still, newegg was selling the x1900 XT 512 for $350.

I don't care who you are, $50 'apple tax' is pretty good. On video cards, it's usually much more. In fact, the 7300 (which is a $50 card), has a $150 'apple tax' on it.

My guess is that somebody's going to release a 3rd party card soon and Apple's dumping its stock and saturating the market.

Either that or Apple's going to release a new card... doubtful.

All that being said, I thought about buying one, but the standalone price must be $350 or less. I am the zen master...
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Your guess is correct, the reason Apple chose this card over the Nvidias was that it could help ATI empty stock of the old cards as they introduced the X1950 XTX.