First builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 released to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Here comes another point release and the hopes of the faithful are aroused yet again, only to be surely disappointed down the road. Will Apple fix my most hated bugs?

Yeah, well I for one have given up any hope that Apple will actually fix their numerous problems with Safari. It really is unacceptable. Safari hogs resources, especially memory, and inexcusably hangs and crashes on sites where Firefox has no difficulty at all. I like a lot of things about Safari, but the bugs, the huge memory hogging make it really hard to use. When I'm in a real hurry, and can't wait for Safari's asthmatic progress from link to link, I just fire up Firefox... aaah, what a relief. Really, the spinning beach ball each and every time I click on a link has made me hate this browser. When oh when will Apple fix this POS?

I'm giving Apple time PLENTY of time - until Leopard 10.5.2. If Apple has not fixed Safari by then, then I'm permanently moving over to Firefox.

OK, I just vented. I'm sure everyone has their list of "favorite" bugs/apps they are eternally waiting to fix. What's yours? And how much hope do you have Apple will actually fix it in 10.4.8?
  • Reply 22 of 68
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Could you have been any less precise in describing your problems with Safari?
  • Reply 23 of 68
    MAIL, SAFARI, AND SOFTWARE UPDATE PROGRAMS.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Could you have been any less precise in describing your problems with Safari?

How about this... re: resource hungry - right now, I just fired up activity monitor and here we have typical POS Safari resource use - CPU 38.2%, Real Memory: 564.36MB... WTF??? I have ONE window open and 4 tabs. My Safari is stock Apple build no fancy add-ons or plugins, just what came with the original install plus updates. This on an the last iteration of 1.33ghz 1.5GB RAM iBook (see sig) running 10.4.7 with all the patches and up to date. This has been going on for as long as I've had this notebook (8 months) through numerous Tiger updates.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING internet related takes as much resources as this POS. I have Azureus running with several torrents dl and seeding and it's typically around 8% CPU and 90MB RAM. And that's a Java based app which is by it's nature "hard" on resources, and doing about the most intense stuff you can with the internet... basically downloading and uploading data streams at full speed with rapid changes up and down. It can't TOUCH the kind of resoures the POS Safari rutinely takes up just for the privilege of running one window with a couple of tabs.

And performance? Wow. Click on a link - and watch the spinning rainbow wheel of death, 5 seconds, 10 seconds - finally there. Funny, I go to the very same websites using Firefox, Boom as Steve would say - I'm there. Why is Firefox so fast and Safari so slow when going from link to link?

Also, I've never had Firefox crash on me (Ok, not since 1.5), but with Safari, that happens pretty frequently on often innocuous websites - I click for "inbox" in Gmail, CRASH - poof! There goes Safari! Or it'll freeze first, then crash. P-O-S.

Is that detailed enough?
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Well Finewine, I Think That You've Hit The Nail Right On The Head With That One.:d :d :d
  • Reply 26 of 68
    I don't have any of those problems with Safari. Not even a hint of any problem.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    I don't experience the same problems with Safari here either. I have 4 tabs open and it's using about 170MB of memory. Processor usage is about 10% when refreshing 2 tabs simultaneously and less than .5% when idle. Now I am using a MacBook Pro with 2GB memory so the speed of the machine is obviously a big factor. I don't notice FireFox being any quicker though so I pretty much always use Safari in OS X.

edit: I just opened 7 then 8 then 10 tabs and memory usage is only 175MB.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Well Your Computer Is Different Than Mine.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    10.4.7 gave me probs with my two 4GB Imation USB keydrives.. causes the finder to hang and sometimes Kernel Panic. I cant use em anymore
  • Reply 30 of 68
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Fix VPN that 10.4.7 broke !
  • Reply 31 of 68
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

hypoluxa,

I could pretty much rant on and on about this stuff but I'll stop here. I know I am preaching to the choir anyway.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Somebody had better do some preaching.

I am seriously considering switching back if Vista is even close to being as nice as OS X.

Apple has locked in on this all-in-one strat with the iMac for us mid-range computer users and I'm afraid it's going to hurt them. The only Mac choices are the Mac Mini that you can't do any upgrades to, The iMac that you can't do any upgrades to and has a built-in monitor that's not reusable with a new system, or the Mac Pro Pricey behemoth.

With the almost infinite hardware combinations for Windows systems, and if Vista is even close to OS X, I can't see any reason to stay with Apple.

I'm a recent switcher to Mac, moved my whole family to the Mac, and I never thought I would ever even consider going back.

You can bash Vista all you want, flame me to death, but you can't hide from the fact that Vista will be pretty nice if MS gets it stable and secure.

just my 2 cents.

edit: I think the all-in-one is already hurting them based on last quarter numbers. Desktops were way down.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Stephen, no one ever claimed we wouldn't see 10.4.8, we just said that it's entirely possible your specific issues won't be addressed in the update.

Really, it seems like you don't read the comments of others very closely.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsxrboy

Fix VPN that 10.4.7 broke !

Actually, they broke it since 10.4.6, and it has been pissing me off. Do you connect to a PoPToP server, or what?
  • Reply 34 of 68
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Safari 161 MB here, been running it for 2 days straight.

4% CPU.

Stephen, knock it off.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine

How about this... re: resource hungry - right now, I just fired up activity monitor and here we have typical POS Safari resource use - CPU 38.2%, Real Memory: 564.36MB... WTF??? I have ONE window open and 4 tabs.

I've heard that with Safari some times CPU usage shoots up with flash sites / lots of flash banner ads. I think it's something to do with bad plugins or something (and I don't know how to fix that ) What kind of websites do you spend the most time with?

I hope this is useful. Good luck!

-jay
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple

I've heard that with Safari some times CPU usage shoots up with flash sites / lots of flash banner ads. I think it's something to do with bad plugins or something (and I don't know how to fix that ) What kind of websites do you spend the most time with?

I hope this is useful. Good luck!

-jay

Really, nothing extraordinary... NYTimes.com, bbc, latimes, google news, dailyrotation.com, metafilter.com, linkfilter.com, amazon.com, demonoid.com, various forums, the occasional youtube, nothing special. The point is Firefox has no problem, but on the same sites Safari absolutely chokes.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine

Really, nothing extraordinary... NYTimes.com, bbc, latimes, google news, dailyrotation.com, metafilter.com, linkfilter.com, amazon.com, demonoid.com, various forums, the occasional youtube, nothing special. The point is Firefox has no problem, but on the same sites Safari absolutely chokes.

Sounds to me like your system is in need of some tweaking.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

I am seriously considering switching back if Vista is even close to being as nice as OS X.

Vista has got a lot of proving to do. One stable build doesn't make an OS ready for prime time. No one is talking about app compatibility which is supposed to be the real achilles heal of vista. I would wait for a while after Vista's release and see the reviews before rushing out and buying a pc system.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

Actually, they broke it since 10.4.6, and it has been pissing me off. Do you connect to a PoPToP server, or what?

Yep, PPTP.. 10.4.6 wasn't a problem for me, however.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsxrboy

Yep, PPTP.. 10.4.6 wasn't a problem for me, however.

You know, I ought to send you my Console logs for pptp. It tries to Authenticate, but it doesn't accept the RECV commands, which is the problem. I have sent several bug reports to Apple, but nothing has been done about it.