will it run well?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi ive just bought an imac g3 (mainly as it was going cheap how could i resest :P) with a 350mhz processor, a 10gb hard drive (i have a 120gb external one), 128 mb ram, it also comes with mac os x 10.3.9 installed on it, and i was just wondering, will it run well (im not expecting blistering speed from it haha) with those specs, ill only be using it for everyday internet usage, email, some light downloading etc.. so can anyone help? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitt123

hi ive just bought an imac g3 (mainly as it was going cheap how could i resest :P) with a 350mhz processor, a 10gb hard drive (i have a 120gb external one), 128 mb ram, it also comes with mac os x 10.3.9 installed on it, and i was just wondering, will it run well (im not expecting blistering speed from it haha) with those specs, ill only be using it for everyday internet usage, email, some light downloading etc.. so can anyone help? thanks

I cant imagine it being too good at all, I certinly wouldnt use more than one app at once, also, the more ram the better, if you could upgrade that to at least 256, you would be MUCH happier.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    I used to use one of those as a light server/browsing station and it worked quite well, just make sure you upgrade the ram and do not upgrade to tiger...panther is pretty much the sweet spot performance wise for that machine
  • Reply 3 of 5
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    128 MB is to little I had a B&W G3/350 and then OS X was terribel with 128 MB RAM, even just 192 was a big improvement, more is better
  • Reply 4 of 5
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrBoar

128 MB is to little I had a B&W G3/350 and then OS X was terribel with 128 MB RAM, even just 192 was a big improvement, more is better

OK how to make that machine better

PowerForce G3 upgrades speed from 350 mhz to 1 ghz

256 Ram max your machine out, I think you have 4 slots sso that is 1 Gig of ram

250GB HD that is 7200 rpm with 16mb cache

This will DRAMATICALLY improve your performance of your G3 and it will run amazing faster.

-iGrant
  • Reply 5 of 5
    And for the price of all of those upgrades, you can buy a MUCH better used Mac. Its not worth it to upgrade an iMac that old like that. Simple RAM/HD upgrades are ok, but I wouldn't be putting money into a faster CPU.

Keep in mind that an iMac like that won't see 250GB without partitioning it. You could easily throw in a 60-120GB HD without too much trouble. They're fairly easy to change a HD. Taking the heatshield off without losing the screws down inside the iMac is probably the hardest part.

Those iMacs only have 2 slots for a total of 1GB (2x512).

I personally wouldn't run it with out 512 installed.