new form factor for next macbook pro?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega

USB better than FW?

You are pulling our collective left tit, right?

Did I ever say it was *better*? Nope. Don't put words in my mouth, or rather, words in my post. It should be replaced simply because it is not, and never will be, widely accepted as USB is.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Except there is nothing at this point to replace it with.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lust

Did I ever say it was *better*? Nope. Don't put words in my mouth, or rather, words in my post. It should be replaced simply because it is not, and never will be, widely accepted as USB is.

The Mac and Mac OSX aren't widely accepted either.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT

Broken record: port replicator and docking station.

I would really like that also. Plus a better keyboard and the new seagate 160gb drive.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

I would really like that also. Plus a better keyboard and the new seagate 160gb drive.

Naaaah. 250GB. SATA. Perpendicular recording. And sweet, sweet 7200RPM.

With all this, a flash-based cache for insta-boot is just the cherry on top.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Someone set up an ivory tower in Boston.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    The form factor may be "perfect" but I would like the case to be a few shades darker.

- Mark
  • Reply 28 of 52
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt

The form factor may be "perfect" but I would like the case to be a few shades darker.

- Mark

Color, give me color. Technicolor.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Someone set up an ivory tower in Boston.

Are you my Kindliche Kaiserin, then?
  • Reply 30 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

While I can accept that there are probably uses for such displays, I feel that they exist because of the perception "bigger is better". My wife's Dell has one of those, but I find it quite uncomfortable to do general work at this resolution and this display size.

Sure but having a maximum vertical resolution of 800 pixels in any new machine especially ones that are capable of HD playback is ridiculous. I admit that I use my 17" CRT at 1280x1024 even though it supports 1600x1200 (it actually supports 1920x1440 but the option doesn't always show up) so I would expect that it would support the widescreen equivalent of 1280x1024 maintaining the vertical resolution. I would therefore expect 1920x1080 support. 1280x800 isn't even a widescreen aspect ratio so you still get black bars top and bottom.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I admit that I use my 17" CRT at 1280x1024 even though it supports 1600x1200

I guess you like your image stretched all day? 1280x1024 is not 4:3.

Quote:

1280x800 isn't even a widescreen aspect ratio so you still get black bars top and bottom.

Computers use 16:10, not 16:9. This is normal.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety

Are you my Kindliche Kaiserin, then?

Sissi rotates at 7200 RPM when she sees you? 8)
  • Reply 33 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I guess you like your image stretched all day? 1280x1024 is not 4:3.

I don't follow. I don't really mind not having a 4:3 screen. It just bugs me when laptops are advertised as widescreen and I still get black bars. Why not use 1420x800?

I don't suppose it's so much the resolution that bothers me anyway. It's just having such a short screen. They are pretty bad for viewing images. I guess I'd just prefer if Apple made a tablet so I could physically turn the screen round when I wanted.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Why not use 1420x800?

16:9 is simply rare in the PC market. It would be more expensive for Apple to sell computers with such screens.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

The Mac and Mac OSX aren't widely accepted either.

Accepted and used are not quite the same thing. USB is the "standard" port for most computers now, firewire isn't. In all honesty, I think I may have seen one non-Mac computer with a firewire port, other than that I've never seen one use it.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    mmm most pc's i have seen have FW400 or in PCtherm I-link (there are all newer ones)

i hope there is gone be a Magnetic latch and FireWire 800 on the 15.4" model

Quote:

-Black. I think bare aluminum's done, for now, and the Pro lines will go black again. Anodized aluminum? I don't think the outer material will be changed...

Anodized Black aluminum mmmmm mmm MM Juuummie
  • Reply 37 of 52
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vorm-krijger

Anodized Black aluminum mmmmm mmm MM Juuummie

Mmmhhh... yummy indeed... and it would go just so perfectly with my new SE K800 mobile
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Like this .....

• Reply 39 of 52
    I wouldn't complain if it looked like that!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lust

Accepted and used are not quite the same thing. USB is the "standard" port for most computers now, firewire isn't. In all honesty, I think I may have seen one non-Mac computer with a firewire port, other than that I've never seen one use it.

I've never seen a non-Mac computer use a stable, user-friendly operating system either so lets ask Apple to get rid of that too.