Foxconn reduces claim against journalists

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Amongst increasing pressure from the Chinese media and a journalism advocacy group, iPod maker Foxconn has reduced a libel claim against two Shanghai journalists from 30 million yuan to just 1 yuan, the Xinhua news agency said on Thursday.

An official at Hongfujin Precision Industry Co., a unit of Shenzhen-based Foxconn, said the company would also apply to unfreeze the journalists' assets, according to the report.

"This is a victory for Chinese media," Weng Bao, one of the two reporters working for the Shanghai-based China Business News, was quoted as saying.

It was not immediately clear why the damages claim had been cut, but the Chinese media strongly condemned the suit and a journalists' advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders, recently requested that Apple intercede in the matter.

"Apple is working behind the scenes to help resolve this issue," Apple spokesman Jill Tan confirmed to the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Foxconn had sued the two journalists over a June 15 report that accused the company of violating workers' rights by forcing them to work overtime for low pay. The suit was said to be one of the largest defamation cases filed in China against reporters.

While reducing the claim against the two journalists, Foxconn said would add the China Business News to the list of defendants in the defamation case, Xinhua reported.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    According to OS X's currency convertor, 1 yuan = 12.6 cents US.

That's over 6 cents apiece for the 2 journalists. Or, one Jolly Rancher they will each have to give up.

Let the punishment fit the crime.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme

According to OS X's currency convertor, 1 yuan = 12.6 cents US.

That's over 6 cents apiece for the 2 journalists. Or, one Jolly Rancher they will each have to give up.

Let the punishment fit the crime.

• Reply 3 of 8
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    According to the Reuters story, it's actually 1 million yuan. That works out to just over $125K. I bet the reporters' news agency won't actually be added to the suit and the complete suit will be eventually dropped.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    I'm gonna guess that's supposed to read 1 million yuan?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    OK, after digging around a bit, it is just one yuan. This is following a similar suit brought by Foxconn in Taiwan in 2004. It's all about scaring journalists and making a point.

Thing is, I think it has backfired on them. It'll bring more scrutiny on the company and its practices.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    '"This is a victory for Chinese media," Weng Bao, one of the two reporters working for the Shanghai-based China Business News, was quoted as saying.'...

Weng Bao has got some mouth. He'd still be open for a libel suit anywhere else. Oh, well, thanks to Apple he gets to walk unfettered. Try reporting on real corruption, instead, Weng Bao.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

'"This is a victory for Chinese media," Weng Bao, one of the two reporters working for the Shanghai-based China Business News, was quoted as saying.'...

Weng Bao has got some mouth. He'd still be open for a libel suit anywhere else. Oh, well, thanks to Apple he gets to walk unfettered. Try reporting on real corruption, instead, Weng Bao.

Weng & Wang just reported on statements and the investigation by the Brit rags. So even though they still may face a civil libel charge, I find it curious that Foxconn went after the journalists in China, and not their western counterparts. Again, this is following the pattern from the Taiwan case of 2004.

Despite Apple's claims, I do believe Foxconn is guilty of serious violations, not simple overtime regulations. I won't be surprised if this suit is eventually dropped.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronn

Weng & Wang just reported on statements and the investigation by the Brit rags. So even though they still may face a civil libel charge, I find it curious that Foxconn went after the journalists in China, and not their western counterparts. Again, this is following the pattern from the Taiwan case of 2004.

Despite Apple's claims, I do believe Foxconn is guilty of serious violations, not simple overtime regulations. I won't be surprised if this suit is eventually dropped.

Easy, Jack... it's Chinatown. In other words, every company in China is probably guilty of numerous infractions of varying severity. Heck, I didn't go to dozens of plants there, but many of the working environments in the plants I did go to looked a bit scary to me. But then again, what's the alternative for most of the people there? Not very good. As their economy grows further, this kind of thing will be less common. If you consult your history books, you'll be reminded that kids used to work in US factories too. Shit runs downhill everywhere you go.