Helllllp!!!!! Mbp Video Issues!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey friends,

My son got ahold of my macbook pro and figured that overclocking the video card would be fun. He erased windows partition and i can't seem to get windows to reinstall in order to download "ATI TOOLS" to reclock my macbook pro video card. Do you guys know a way to reset the gpu clock through the firmware or through os x? The computer is being EXTREMELY glitchy.

Please email asap.

Rian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFlynn

Hey friends,

My son got ahold of my macbook pro and figured that overclocking the video card would be fun. He erased windows partition and i can't seem to get windows to reinstall in order to download "ATI TOOLS" to reclock my macbook pro video card. Do you guys know a way to reset the gpu clock through the firmware or through os x? The computer is being EXTREMELY glitchy.

Please email asap.

Rian

Bootcamp can be tricky. I have found even minor hickups have the ability to keep the partition itself from working correctly, or Windows from being able to install at all.

Best bet is to back up all your files and preferences on an external hard drive, zero your drive, install OSX from scratch, run updates, and run Bootcamp before doing anything else after that.

Progress from there.

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 7
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Step 1: beat son.

Step 2: have you tried ATIcellerator? It's mac native, and it should work with your MBP.

EDIT: wait, checked site, ATIcellerator still doesn't work for the X1600 on intel macs. Geez, they've been working on this forever...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Go back into Windows, run ATItool, click Load on the upper left hand side. Click Set Clock on the middle left hand side.

• Reply 4 of 7
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFlynn

He erased windows partition and i can't seem to get windows to reinstall in order to download "ATI TOOLS" to reclock my macbook pro video card.

theapplegenius, read the man's post. His MBP is so glitchy he can't get windows to install.

I'm at a loss. The X1600 firmware (where I'm assuming the speed settings are kept) can't be reset like the NVRAM/PRAM/etc, so I really can't think of an easy solution.

Maybe you can pull the harddrive, and install windows on in using a friends MBP, and pop it back into yours?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

theapplegenius, read the man's post. His MBP is so glitchy he can't get windows to install.

I'm at a loss. The X1600 firmware (where I'm assuming the speed settings are kept) can't be reset like the NVRAM/PRAM/etc, so I really can't think of an easy solution.

Maybe you can pull the harddrive, and install windows on in using a friends MBP, and pop it back into yours?

Oh shoot...you need to use the warrenty then. The card doesn't keep its overclock out of windows. You toasted the core.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

you need to use the warrenty then.

Why would you get warranty on something you were never supposed to manipulate to begin with?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Why would you get warranty on something you were never supposed to manipulate to begin with?

There's no way to tell that it was overclocked. But you're right Chucker.

If Apple doesn't swap logic boards, you have a nice MacBook Paperweight.