Apple Store customer receives upgraded Mac mini

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A European Apple store customer who ordered a single-core Mac mini desktop computer this past weekend was surprised to find that he was shipped a dual-core system at no additional charge.

In a post to MacBidouille, the customer said he ordered a 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac mini, which typically comes standard with a 60GB hard drive and a Combo drive capable of burning CDs and reading DVDs.

Much to his surprise, the order arrived in the form of a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini with a 100GB hard drive and a SuperDrive capable of writing both CD and DVD discs.

"On the box, the specifications are those of a Mac mini Core Solo," the customer said.

Recent reports indicated that Apple's Mac mini inventory levels had been run down and that the company was refusing to fill bulk orders of the petite desktop computers. Availability of the computers was said to improve in early September when "new models" would become available.

It's yet unclear whether the Apple store customer's order was a mistake or the start of a silent update to the Mac mini line. Representatives at Apple's US-based online store said they had no knowledge of a silent upgrade to the Mac mini line, nor had they heard of any similar instances of such orders being received.

Quietly slipping upgraded Mac minis into retail boxes designed for their predecessors is not new for Apple. Around this same time last year, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company began shipping 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz models inside retail boxes designed for 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz models. The updated models also featured several other under-the-hood enhancements.

It's believed that Apple uses such tactics clear inventory without having to offer price reductions. Instead, it promises customers that they will receive a system with specifications that equal to or greater than those listed on the retail boxes. This allows it to exhaust inventory of previous models in some locations, while supplying other locations, which may be void of stock, with the new models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    nebbermind
  • Reply 2 of 48
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    It's like winning the lottery. Good for that customer.

Apple should use this as a business model... start randomly filling some computers with ram.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    What he got IS possible under the old models (take the top Mini and choose the next HD size up), so I wonder if the BTO people just put the someone else's machine back into his box?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    known as a 'cock up' in the industry
  • Reply 5 of 48
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    maybe one day i'll order a mac mini and there will be a mac pro in the box.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    *Napoleon Dynamyte* DANG! Lucky!
  • Reply 7 of 48
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme

What he got IS possible under the old models (take the top Mini and choose the next HD size up), so I wonder if the BTO people just put the someone else's machine back into his box?

I believe this would be the case. The mentioned system does not sound like a likely upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus

maybe one day i'll order a mac mini and there will be a mac pro in the box.

• Reply 9 of 48
    Is this guy under any obligation to notify Apple of their mistake? Or is he allowed to keep the upgraded mini?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme

But the buyer originally ordered a Mini with a single processor (or so they claim).
  • Reply 11 of 48
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dansgil

Is this guy under any obligation to notify Apple of their mistake? Or is he allowed to keep the upgraded mini?

if he'd kept his mouth shut no one would have ever known........

so i supose the person who had the blokes lower powered machine will find the lower powered one in the box, speak to apple, and then get the one he ordered, everyones happy
  • Reply 12 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Is this guy under any obligation to notify Apple of their mistake?

Doubtful. It probably won't even be a problem to register it or get support for it.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm not buying this. Someone probably ordered a 1.66ghz Mini with a 100GB hard drive option and somebody switched the boxes. No way prices have dropped enough to justify a $250 price drop on that configuration.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Moral obligation yes, but so few people in the world today live by such a code of conduct.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    How many people do you think are at store.apple.com right now trying buying mini Core Solo's in hopes they too will Win Big?
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

I'm not buying this. Someone probably ordered a 1.66ghz Mini with a 100GB hard drive option and somebody switched the boxes. No way prices have dropped enough to justify a $250 price drop on that configuration.

Another argument is that from next week there litterally is no more mini, as we know it, so what ever is left is what you get...
  • Reply 17 of 48
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Another argument is that from next week there litterally is no more mini, as we know it, so what ever is left is what you get...

Mac Nano ... shiny black or white clear plastic frontage (scratchable), with stainless steel (scratchable) on all the other sides. Even slimmer than the mini, but same footprint. Dual-core throughout.

Okay, they're not going to do something so obvious, they'll keep a successful product like the iPod Mini, sorry, I meant Mac Mini on the market.

I expect that when the Mac Mini is updated they will go dual-core throughout the product line. 60 and 120GB hard drive options, 160GB BTO. Same price lineup. Current Mac Minis that are unsold will drop by $100 or so until they sell out.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    They accidentally shipped 2 dual 2.5 G5s to my friend last summer. He said he very seriously considered giving me the other, but he called them up and they sent FedEx to pick it up.

It was the right thing to do, but the next day my Single 867 G4 just didn't seem as fast anymore.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I agree that this looks much more like a "someone else's machine" than a "upgrade accidentally slipped out early".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Moral obligation yes, but so few people in the world today live by such a code of conduct.

I agree.

But...

If he did contact Apple, they should let him keep the upgraded machine, as taking it back and sending him the right one would probably cost more than the difference between their costs for assembling the two different machines.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Bigger hard drive in the mini.. sounds like a prep for a media center