Gigabit Networking Basics?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I am looking to set up a network and I'm thinking about a gigabit network. I am thinking of using a router to my dsl line and then setting up everything from there. What are the basics I should know about gigabit networking? For example:

Do I need special cables?

I assume my router should be the DCHP server - Does my router need to be gigabit? Or will my iMacs comunicate to each other a gigabit speed anyhow? (like does the comunication go through the router first?)

What happens if I add an older 10/100 speed iMac?

Here are three diagrams to hopefully help the discussion. (The periods are just for formatting)

.................................................i MacGiga02

.................................................. ........^

(A)........dsl => router10/100 => GigaHub => iMacGiga01

.................................................. ........v

.................................................i Mac10/100

.................................................i MacGiga02

.................................................. .......^

(B)........dsl => router10/100 => GigaHub => iMacGiga01

......................................v

.............................iMac10/100

....................iMacGiga02

.............................^

(C)..........dsl => gigaRouter => iMacGiga01

.............................v

.....................iMac10/100

Thanks!

-jay

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Choice A looks like your best bet (is there a difference between A & B?) Your average DSL line isn't going to saturate a 10Mb link, let alone a 100 or 1000.

Since you'll only be moving files from "iMacGiga01" to "iMacGiga02" at gigabit speeds, you don't need to get an (expensive) gigabit router.

You'll need to buy some good Cat 5e (I think) or Cat 6 cables. I buy mine though cablewholesale.com, they have great prices and a nice selection.

Gigabit switches have really dropped in price recently, but I figure you've already done your research as far as that goes.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

(is there a difference between A & B?)

Presto! Kazaa! Open Sesame! Edit button!

There is a difference... now

So, what I am most worried about is if I have the 10/100 router as the DCHP server, does the transmitions between the gigaMacs go through the router at some point? Thereby negating the value of the gigabit?

Thanks

-Jay
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple

Presto! Kazaa! Open Sesame! Edit button!

There is a difference... now

So, what I am most worried about is if I have the 10/100 router as the DCHP server, does the transmitions between the gigaMacs go through the router at some point? Thereby negating the value of the gigabit?

Thanks

-Jay

Nope. All the DHCP server does is authoritatively hand out IP addresses. Once the computers have IP addresses, they can speak to each other directly at the maximum speed the intervening network elements can support.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    The chart is a little hard to read with all the ascii.

But it depends how much you're saturating the line. A 10/100 router shouldn't have problems as say a 10mbit router, but it can happen(I've seen it happen and had to tech support the issue).

Basically if depending on the amount of data pushing through the gigbit switch, you can actually overload the router with routing issues and it will start having symtoms and QoS issues. (Yes it can happen even though you're going through the switch for data)

A dead ringer for this is when it goes into "Aquiring network address" and stalls for either a very long time or fails.

This doesn't seems to effect it often unless you have computers that are off the network often and starts a cacade effect till it all collides.

2: is drop of internet services while maintaining intranet services to select systems.

Its will all depend on your equipment, and how well made they are, but they all have a certain tolerance. A network admin, can spot and load balance these, but it's at that point, why not just get better equipment.

Basically simple load balance might be good here, and getting quality equipment depending on what level you are going to use it on.

Judging by the tone of the 1st poster, I guess all this is moot, since it's probably a small network. Still, becareful of equipment and return it if any weirdness happens. There are things you won't find comparing specs.