Intel Merom in Macbook Pro?? Any ideas??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,



I have seen this new post regarding merom chips in iMacs and also in Macmini's..Does anyone know anything about merom being introduced in Macbook pro's also? I am planning to buy a macbook pro and have been waiting since July thinking that something might be introduced soon. WWDC went by without any announcements.



I saw Dell has started taking orders for E1405 and E1705 series inspiron's with ship date of Sept. 14th so wondering if anyone has heard anything about macbook pro's.



Since last 2 days has only talked of macmini and iMac's, I started to wonder...My question would be if I should buy current macbook pro or wait provided something is expected in the next 1 month. I am traveling in the next month so I want to take a macbook pro with me.



Any ideas??

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    pretty much certain, just wait it out. be patient. i think it will be out soon. the whole product line will be updated before the holidays probably, if there is one thing that wont be updated its the macbook, but only since it was just released not to long ago, but they have talked about updating that too, but just wait a little just wait till after the 12. Correct me if im wrong but I also remember apple having a conference at the end of the month also. i cant seem to find the link but i remember it being right before some graphic/art/photo conference thing, and people were talking about an aperature update. Who knows? Anyways just wait it out. Itll be a nice speed upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Depends on when you are going away.. I'd guess that Apple will announce the MPB with merom either on monday/tuesday or at that conference the 12th of Sep and then ship immediately afterwards. But there is probably going to be week-long waiting periods in the beginning with all the hype, so maybe they won't get to you in time.



    Either way it's not like merom makes any difference - the cpu itself is 5-10% faster, but when you take the whole system into account it will probably feel the same.. the question is if Apple will take the chance to correct some of the flaws in the MBP design while they're at it - that's why I'm holding out at least..
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    The only thing I can found about a Mac mini update is here and the only thing they mention is 1.67Ghz and 1.83Ghz CoreDuo not Core2Duo.



    Don't expect hardware updates on monday.

    Tuesdays are hardware announcement days.



    The MacBook Pro is almost as long overdue as the iMac so I expect those getting updated soon.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    tony1tony1 Posts: 258member
    Hey, how do you think the speed of the new MBP would compare to my Pismo 400?



    Seriously, been holding out for both a new laptop and a system for the kids, so both the iMac and MBP, Core2Duo's couldn't have come at a better time. Now let's just see if we get in on an updated 5gb Nano, updated MBP, and updated iMac all at the same time before the student deal vanishes on the 16th. Hmmm what are the chances?



    Tony
  • Reply 5 of 11
    all the offers will dissappear on the new kit - unfortunately!



    New iMacs do not qualify for free current iPods...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I am holding out for a Merom MBP too. They must be immenent, but I am starting to doubt whether they will appear on the 12th.



    Apple chose to release the new iMacs this week - presumably so that these hardware updates would not be over-shadowed by the Showtime event. A Merom MBP is effectively a speed-bump. It is less significant than the 24" iMac. So my guess is no MBP next week ....



    Even if the hardware update were more radical (ie 1920x1200 display in the 17") this would be pro announcment in what will surely be a consumer targetted show.





    C. \
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage


    I am holding out for a Merom MBP too. They must be immenent, but I am starting to doubt whether they will appear on the 12th.



    Apple chose to release the new iMacs this week - presumably so that these hardware updates would not be over-shadowed by the Showtime event. A Merom MBP is effectively a speed-bump. It is less significant than the 24" iMac. So my guess is no MBP next week ....



    Even if the hardware update were more radical (ie 1920x1200 display in the 17") this would be pro announcment in what will surely be a consumer targetted show.





    C. \



    If its a consumer show then maybe we will see merom in the MacBook....Its unlikely though. i dont think there will be anything surprising at the event on the 12th. i think it will just focus on the movie store service so we could get a few speed bumps either monday, the 12th, or the week after that.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar


    Don't expect hardware updates on monday.

    Tuesdays are hardware announcement days.



    Unless:



    1) It is the week of a trade show where expositions starts on a Monday, they introduced the 17" MBP on a Monday at NAB2006



    2) There is a US holiday on Monday or Tuesday, such as this week, it's happened at least one other time this year, but I forget when, maybe Independence Day (US).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1


    Hey, how do you think the speed of the new MBP would compare to my Pismo 400?



    Close to Warp 5, the MacBook of a friend of mine easily goes Warp 4 even ruuning XP with Parallels The screen is as bright as the sun in comparison to the washed out yellowish display of my Pismo 400Mhz.

    It also generates as much heat as said sun, so I guess the MacBook Pro will be supernova.



    Oh, don't forget: your Pismo is a laptop, the MacBook Pro definitely is a notebook.



    I hope Apple will give the MacBook Pro a more descent upgrade than a processor/speedbump only affair:

    FW800; 3x USB; 8x DL superdrive; maybe same kind of magnetic latch and keyboard as the MacBook.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tony1tony1 Posts: 258member
    Quote:

    FW800; 3x USB; 8x DL superdrive; maybe same kind of magnetic latch and keyboard as the MacBook.



    Most of the reasons why I'm going with the 17" + I want to replace my desktop. As far as the mag latch and keyboard we may have to wait along with a B/W color option, black would be just like my Pismo on steroids . I don't see those happening until the next major rev, but who am I to know.



    Tony
  • Reply 11 of 11
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    i think the Macbook might get the 2mb L2 cache processors.
Sign In or Register to comment.