TiBook 800 VS. iBook 700

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
At the Denver (or whatever city it's considered) Apple Store the other day, I decided to run a little test. I put one of the 14 inch iBooks (700 Mhz, 128 MB RAM) and a TiBook (800 MHz, 128 MB RAM) right next to eachother. "Why did you do this?" you may ask. Well, I wanted to compare the speeds for the both of them. Once I had both cursors on the Photshop 7 icon on each computers' dock, I started them at the same time. The TiBook was off to an early start; the iBook was losing. Even though it wasn't a considerable difference, the iBook still lost at about 2 seconds more than the TiBook. Then, I realized that the icon bouncing had to at least add some time to the load time, so I turned it off. I repeated the whole process again. The iBook burned the PB800 by about 2 seconds. I tried it again; still the same thing. So, I guess that, compared the PB800, the iBook 700 isn't that bad of a computer. The TiBook still has the kickass icon bouncing system (32 MB video card) but, with icon bouncing off the iBook can actually compete with it (the iBook has a 16 MB video card). Now, I know that starting Photoshop isn't the only benchmark for CPU speed, but it still surprised me. TALK AWAY!

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "Burned?" Puhleeeeze.

Though I am certain this was amusing for you, I would suggest a reputable site that does speed comaprisons amongst Macs, rather than this kind of thing.

It's not worth getting into, but for starters launching an app has a lot more to do with HD access speed than it does CPU...and I'd bet both of these systems had the same 4200 rpm drives.

One question: where did you find an 800 with only 128 megs of RAM in a store? That's rather strange.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    also the 14" iBooks also have an extra 128 installed...

methinks you are lying....
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>also the 14" iBooks also have an extra 128 installed...

methinks you are lying....</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK guys, I'm sorry for 3 things:

1. I didn't specify a subject...lol

2. My word usage of "burned" is perhaps a little over-board.

3. I was almost certain that they both had 128 MB ram, I guess I was wrong.

Sorry guys...lol

Don't get me wrong, the Powerbook is THE best notebook you can buy. I'm just saying that the iBook isn't bad either...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    A more appropriate test would be render times in iMovie, MP3 encode in iTunes, or the traditional Photoshop bake-off.

Loading an App? Even if it takes a while, it's in using the app where the time really counts. An extra 2-3 sec on the front end doesn't matter if the computer won't save time in the actual editing process.

My 2 cents...

Composer
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Gotta love the "I clicked the icon at the same time and saw which opened first test". Did you measure the difference by counting one-mississippi...two-mississippi out loud or the second hand on your 10 year old Seiko? If you want stats that mean dick head over to barefeats.com or similar sites.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by FlashGordon:

<strong>Gotta love the "I clicked the icon at the same time and saw which opened first test". Did you measure the difference by counting one-mississippi...two-mississippi out loud or the second hand on your 10 year old Seiko? If you want stats that mean dick head over to barefeats.com or similar sites.</strong><hr></blockquote>

barefeats? please... their testing is about as good as the original poster's....
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

barefeats? please... their testing is about as good as the original poster's.... </strong><hr></blockquote>

I did not realize there was a problem with barefeats testing, if there is what is it? Besides the fact they shut it down because his father died. Their tests always seemed decent to me especially comparing Apples to other Apples.