Apple Event Sept 12...in San Fran

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/31/a...eptember-12th/

Interesting, its the first I heard, but its a good thing. I want new things! NOW!!!

So I guess this is when it will get nuts now. IPHONE, NANOS, IPODS, IMAC, TABLET!!!!

My guess, before then or by then there will be updated computers. I also believe this will be the release of movie sales on iTunes. It would be nice if they put out new iPods to show the movies on, but I dont know. Prob new Nanos if any iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Definitely a new iPod. That thing is so way over due. I broke both of mine, and have been waiting for the update for a while. They should have been out like months ago IMO.

I do hope to see more than just a iPod update within the next few weeks. This mini story could lead to an update, and I definitely think MacBook lines will be updated soon now that intel officially released merom for notebooks yesterday.

Apple may stream Steve Jobs via satellite to announce the hardware at paris to give the Parisians something to ohhh, and ahhh about. I doubt iTunes will be a Paris thing because I think the French government, or whatever just had that little miff over apples DRM, and that is still on going I believe.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    same here

I dropped mine walking to work and never found it again ..sigh

been waiting for weeks for an update
  • Reply 3 of 26
    My iPod is dying. But I'm poor right now (having bought a Mac Pro and other toys).

That said - Steve Jobs is really sticking it to the French. That's pretty petty of him. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 26
    a new ipod would be great. i hope its a regular new ipod, not the ipod out now and then a video ipod, kinda like what they did when the photo ipod came out. i just hope its basically the 6Gen. Anyways, it was pretty crazy last night on msnbc or cnbc they did a whole story on apple, and itunes and the ipod. Talking about what it will look like, and now that everyone else is putting there chips to the table what is apple gonna do. It was really cool. It seems like the media is getting in on our craziness.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

My

That said - Steve Jobs is really sticking it to the French. That's pretty petty of him. :-)

I don't see it, but to each his own.

#1 SJ doesn't speak French fluently, and doesn't want to be like that Japanese guy we always see at Mac events that no one can understand. Accept instead of watching the Japanese guy struggle with english for under 5 minutes SJ will have to try to stay in there for about 40, or more. I don't see that as sticking it to anyone. I see it as a mutual common courtesy.

#2 If your talking about the DRM thing - it could potentially bring about wide spread piracy throughout iTunes in every country. Apple might actually have to shut down iTunes in France if it goes too far in any one of many particularly sensitive areas.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

#2 If your talking about the DRM thing - it could potentially bring about wide spread piracy throughout iTunes in every country. Apple might actually have to shut down iTunes in France if it goes too far in any one of many particularly sensitive areas.

99% of Music CDs have no DRM, would the world really fall apart if iTunes had none? How about the increased sales from customers who never bought before due to DRM?

Steve
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

99% of Music CDs have no DRM, would the world really fall apart if iTunes had none? How about the increased sales from customers who never bought before due to DRM?

Steve

That is a fair point. I guess if iTunes didn't have DRM it would make it that one step easier (ie ripping a CD) to share the music with your friends.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Great catch there. I haven't been to Engadget in a while. [GREAT BOOMING VOICE]There will be new iPod line announced with possible movie downloads on iTMS. This will lead nicely into the christmas buying quarter, Oct-Dec 2006, and also, the iPod line is getting very stale. Sept 12 would also be a great date because "Anywho, apparently this keynote will be beamed to London, possibly in lieu of a keynote at Apple Expo Paris, which also begins that day."The stars are aligned, behold a new iPod line to be birthed within two weeks. Sweet.[/GREAT BOOMING VOICE]
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Hardmac.com corroborates the rumour: "It was originally reported that Steve jobs will not deliver a Keynote at Apple Expo. He will indeed not be in Paris; but a Keynote will be organized in cupertino and relayed in London at Apple Europe HeadQuarter, where journalists have already been invited"

So beamed to London, but a pity not beamed to the Expo. But there should be new iPods there at the expo to play with. And maybe a few surprises... Mac mini media center? Updated Merom iMac and MacBookPro? Hmm... NO FRACKING TABLET THOUGH!! FORGET ABOUT THE BLOODY iTABLETS!!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Apple Expo Paris STARTS 12 September, 2006

Opening hours: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm

There is a 9 hour difference between Paris and San Francisco.

So Opening hours: 1:00 am to 10:00am equivalent time in SF.

I can see why they didn't want to beam announcement to Paris Expo, it's a bit of a time zone thing to coordinate the SteveJ announcement with a right "session" at the Paris Expo.

So if we're looking at 9am-12pm SanFran time for Steve announcement on the 12th, that would put the simulcast to 5pm-8pm London time.

So I guess for Apple marketing that means the US press gets the action first on the Tues-12th and then Europe press has major releases mostly on Wed-13th.

If these are new products, it would be interesting if they are going to show up at the Apple Expo Paris. Because it would be "seen/ leaked/ demoed" several hours BEFORE the official SteveJ announcement...! Hmmm...................... Which would mean a great treat for the French and Europeans............!!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Steve

The reason Apple has all those labels support is because of their DRM protection scheme. And because of it iTunes has an advantage over many others in getting new technology - Like movies.

And to the next guy - sharing music with your friends is still illegal, and wrong. No one gets paid.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

...And to the next guy - sharing music with your friends is still illegal, and wrong. No one gets paid.

Yeah... What happened to that Justin Timberlake CD I lent you? I want it back dude...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    http://bash.org/?104052

Quote:

<NES> lol

<NES> I download something from Napster

<NES> And the same guy I downloaded it from starts downloading it from me when I'm done

<NES> I message him and say "What are you doing? I just got that from you"

<NES> "getting my song back fucker"

• Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

And to the next guy - sharing music with your friends is still illegal, and wrong. No one gets paid.

Wrong - you know who the real financial winners are in illegal downloads of music, tv, film, software, etc? Your friendly neighbourhood Internet Service Provider. And Dell and stuff. And your electricity company. 8)

Oh, and if you're talking about say, lending a CD to a mate (means "buddy" in Australier) I guess the people that get paid are, blank CD manufacturers, the petrol (gasoline) company if your friend drove over or otherwise the state public transportation if he took a bus, or the bike company if he rode over. If he walked over to your house then the wear and tear eventually means a shoe company gets paid.

Stealing music gets a lot of people paid. Just not the people that were involved in legally making and distributing the music. The music and tv and film companies needed to get into the blank-CD and blank-DVD business from say, 5 years ago. That would offset all their losses. ooooh I'm evil.

edit:

Dude, I'm still waiting for my Justin Timberlake CD back from you. I know you were trying to impress a date or something with the "Hey, I'm man enough to admit I like Justin Timberlake, but you know, I'm still a masculine straight guy" (assuming you are a straight guy). I want my CD back DUDE !!!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Wrong - you know who the real financial winners are in illegal downloads of music, tv, film, software, etc? Your friendly neighbourhood Internet Service Provider. And Dell and stuff. And your electricity company. 8)

Oh, and if you're talking about say, lending a CD to a mate (means "buddy" in Australier) I guess the people that get paid are, blank CD manufacturers, the petrol (gasoline) company if your friend drove over or otherwise the state public transportation if he took a bus, or the bike company if he rode over. If he walked over to your house then the wear and tear eventually means a shoe company gets paid.

Stealing music gets a lot of people paid. Just not the people that were involved in legally making and distributing the music. The music and tv and film companies needed to get into the blank-CD and blank-DVD business from say, 5 years ago. That would offset all their losses. ooooh I'm evil.

edit:

Dude, I'm still waiting for my Justin Timberlake CD back from you. I know you were trying to impress a date or something with the "Hey, I'm man enough to admit I like Justin Timberlake, but you know, I'm still a masculine straight guy" (assuming you are a straight guy). I want my CD back DUDE !!!

Mmmmm. Economics. There's no such thing as a free lunch. I don't think I should post when I'm hungry anymore.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Actually, your ISP is pretty pissed. You weren't supposed to use that bandwidth for anything, you were just supposed to have that 5 Mbps pipe to check your mail and CNN.com with. Large downloads, p2p, and streaming video cause you to make them less cash. At least here in the US, where you pay by the month, not by GB.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Actually, your ISP is pretty pissed. You weren't supposed to use that bandwidth for anything, you were just supposed to have that 5 Mbps pipe to check your mail and CNN.com with. Large downloads, p2p, and streaming video cause you to make them less cash. At least here in the US, where you pay by the month, not by GB.

Heh. Fair enough. In Australia they're a bit smarter. It's GB limited with either extra payments per MB over or otherwise bandwidth shaping down to 128kbps or something like that if you've been naughty going over the GB limit. In the UK AFAIK some providers do the same as well.

Ah, you Americans with so much freedom and unlimited superduper-sized everything You're right ISPs are on the losing side of things possibly... I mean, VOIP, iTMS, BitTorrent, WebChat, pr0n, podcasts, youTube.com... hmm... I think ISPs have underestimated the INTERNET EXPLOSION. Although at the time of the dotcom bust they (telcos?) OVERESTIMATED things and had tons of oversupply of network/ switching/ etc gear.

Economics is so weird.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

I want my CD back DUDE !!!

You mean you want your sexy back.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

You mean you want your sexy back.

I have absolutely no idea what that means.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

I have absolutely no idea what that means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7SxvdIFvgk