Mac friendly OpenOffice

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stupider...likeafox

Nevermind OpenOffice, OpenDocument Format is the real Office-killer, and it looks like it'll be baked right into Leopard. That's a major kick in the stones for Microsoft, and a bit of a reversal after Apple and Microsoft teamed up to promote MSFT's XML alternative format.

I'm not sure how you figure that.

Quote:

Changes in TextEdit 1.5 (Leopard):

[..]

? TextEdit supports two new document formats, Word 2007 and OpenDocument. There is also (temporarily) support for the Word 2007 Beta 2 format, which is very close to but incompatible with the ECMA standard format that will be used by Word 2007.

In other words, both OpenXML and OpenDocument are supported, so virtually every Cocoa app gets both.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I'm not sure how you figure that.

What are you not sure about?

* OpenDocument Format being the real Office-killer, not OpenOffice

* that ODF will be baked right into Leopard

* That supporting ODF is a major kick in the stones for Microsoft

* that Apple and Microsoft teamed up to promote MSFT's Open XML format.

Quote:

In other words, both OpenXML and OpenDocument are supported, so virtually every Cocoa app gets both.

Yeah, the OpenXML stuff's been obvious since Apple co-sponsored the ECMA submission, a while back. As far as I'm aware the developer seeds are the first public sign of ODF support, though I supposed it got mentioned under NDA at WWDC too.

Isn't pretty much the entirety of this thread people asking for innovation in Office apps? ODF is the one and only realistic way to achieve this and the momentum is gathering surprisingly quickly. I wanted this for iWork (Pages, Keynote and anything else that they add), but as long as they had it in mind all along and it doesn't require a total rewrite then I'd be happy. Oh, and saving in ODF by default would be nice too.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

What are you not sure about?

[..]

* That supporting ODF is a major kick in the stones for Microsoft

[..]

This one. Since Apple also supports OpenXML, not to mention specifically Word 2007 Beta 2 (temporarily), I see nothing that suggests they're "kicking Microsoft in the stones".
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Well for future reference, any and all applications that support ODF are very bad news for Microsoft, regardless of whether they support MSFT formats as well.

A high-profile, consumer-facing OS that makes it trivial for any application to add ODF import and export without sacrificing Microsoft .doc or .docx compatibility (and coincidentally further exploding the convenient propaganda that only Open Source software supports ODF) definitely rates, imho, as a kick in the stones.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Pages's flowing of graphics over text is implemented a lot better than any other alternative I've seen.

That's the definition of evolution, not revolution.

Quote:

Is it really?

Well, it must be, since Office doesn't even exist for OOs primary platform: Linux. You can't be too cheap and not want to buy something that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

That's good because the definition of revolution is going around in circles.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

I can't remember using the word "revolutionary". What does it say about software development when the programs that offer this haven't improved in this aspect one single bit for well over a decade, but an app that comes out with little fanfare, at a low price and with virtually no history to it can implement it just fine?

Quote:

Well, it must be, since Office doesn't even exist for OOs primary platform: Linux. You can't be too cheap and not want to buy something that doesn't exist.

Well, I was more speaking in terms of OOo on Windows, but okay.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

]Nevermind OpenOffice, OpenDocument Format is the real Office-killer, and it looks like it'll be baked right into Leopard. That's a major kick in the stones for Microsoft, and a bit of a reversal after Apple and Microsoft teamed up to promote MSFT's XML alternative format.

Oh, hell yes! I've already seen a few apps supporting ODF showing up on MacOS in the last couple weeks. If it becomes a native file format, it would be a great boon to Mac and *nix users.

The trouble would be convincing Windows-reliant businesses to use ODF, when everything on their machines defaults to Office formats. :/