PowerBook G4 and Graphics card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have noticed that most PCs these days have graphics a card that can be exchanged with a new version. This is especially true when it comes to Dell laptops. Ive seen some articles in tech magazines that have successfully removed an nVidia GeForce 4 GO 440 with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000.

This article from a norwegian newspaper (dont worry about the text, just follow the picture series) shows how... <a href="http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=33225&bid=1"; target="_blank">Dinside.no</a>.

Will this be possible with my PBG4 667 with ATI Radeon Mobility ? Id really like to exchange it with a Mobility 7500, which is a LOT better.

Does apple use the same technuiqe as Dell with graphics cards, or is the card soldered on ?

.:BoeManE:.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    [quote]Originally posted by BoeManE:

[QBWill this be possible with my PBG4 667 with ATI Radeon Mobility ? Id really like to exchange it with a Mobility 7500, which is a LOT better.

.:BoeManE:.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Sorry, you are out of luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Is this to say that all Apple portables have graphic/video components soldered onto the mobo and that they can therefore not be replaced - as compared to some of the new PeeCee laptops which appear to be shipping with discrete and relatively easily replaced video cards?

What is the correct terminology for these components in a hardwired build: video chipset, graphic chipset, or something else?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I think Dell was the first one to come out with the replaceable AGP slot. But the fact of the matter is that no GPU manufacturers actually make a mobile graphics card that can be purchased separately. It would probably be very expensive as well. Not really worth it, unless you are doing high end graphics/video/audio/animation work. That is a small market compared to the overall consumer market.

I believe Apple solders on the graphics card unto the PB's and iBooks. So there is no way to upgrade the graphics chip unless you swap it with another motherboard.

I know there have been some talks on PC forums about being able to build your own laptop. That would be a very cool idea. The costs however, would be about the same as purchasing a pre-built one. Also I think Laptops carry lot more care in terms of production and assembly. It would probably require the person to have a lot of experience and know-how in building machines with delicate parts.

I would like to see this as an option in the future, however. Maybe when LCD prices fall and laptop parts become more readily available.

- trowa
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Those Dell's are a lot bigger and therefore have room for a modular car. The TiBook is thin and intigrated. Even if you could, the preformance probly wouldn't justify the cost.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: smithjoel ]</p>