Gaming w/ G4's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am totally new to macs and was curious if you can play any games on these. I specifically like Medal of Honor Allied Assault up to the last expansion pack. Do you have to buy MAC only software or will PC software work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    For G4's, the software needs to be mac software. Sometimes the mac version is included on the same disc and the pc version. Do your research before buying.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I have Medal Of Honor Allied Assault (no expansions), Soldier of Fortune 2, Lego Star Wars, American McGee's Alice, Doom 3, Deus Ex, Jedi Knight 2 and Academy, Halo and a whole bunch of SNES games. I haven't played games much in the last 4 years or so but G4s can certainly play decent games - I completed them all on a 1.25GHz G4 Mini. It's the graphics card that's important. However, you need a Mac card and Mac games.

The best value gaming machine Apple offer is the Intel imac because you can play PC games too. If you just need the odd older game, then the G4 with a decent card will suffice. Here is a list of available Mac games:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I have Medal Of Honor Allied Assault (no expansions), Soldier of Fortune 2, Lego Star Wars, American McGee's Alice, Doom 3, Deus Ex, Jedi Knight 2 and Academy, Halo and a whole bunch of SNES games. I haven't played games much in the last 4 years or so but G4s can certainly play decent games - I completed them all on a 1.25GHz G4 Mini. It's the graphics card that's important. However, you need a Mac card and Mac games.

The best value gaming machine Apple offer is the Intel imac because you can play PC games too. If you just need the odd older game, then the G4 with a decent card will suffice. Here is a list of available Mac games:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/

DUde I have MOHAA and the Spearhead expansion. I am able to play it nicely on a 800mhz G4 Quicksilver Mac which dates to 2002. I play at 1280X1084 with high detailed settings, I also have a 32mb ATI graphics card on the beast.

On the Powerbook, which is a 2004 1.3Ghz 1gb 17" with 64mb ATI Spearhead looks perfect and runs awsome. I have black bars due to the widescreen but its nice though. Call of duty 1 plays well on medium settings on the Powerbook, but it dosen't play at all on the Powermac G4.