Ah! Help retrieving deleted files

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I accidently deleted lots of pictures and I empty the trash can and realized my mistake later on, ow can I get these files back?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    First, do not save anything else on the computer!!! Your files are still on the disk, but if you run any programs or save anything you might over-write the deleted files. EXCEPT for downloading this:

Get a copy of Data Rescue II at http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php

and run it. It will tell you all the files that it will be able to recover.

If it finds enough of your files for it to be worth it to you, you can purchase it and recover your files.

Try this first, before trying other applications. Save those for the case in which you decide it isn't worth the $99 they charge for this application.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'd add that not only should you not save any other files, but you really shouldn't run the computer, if you can help it. Shut if down, hook it to another machine with a FireWire cable, and then boot it into FireWire Target Disk Mode. That lessens the chance of over-write even more. (Yes, quitting apps writes prefs files, etc, so there's a chance of getting a hit there, but my guess is that it's less than actively using the machine further, including Safari or other apps aggressively caching to disk...)

Then follow lundy's advice.

If you don't have another machine to do this with, then just cross your fingers, ignore me, and go with lundy.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well I have certainly run programs since then. The pictures are online in a photo album but I wanted to keep the originals. Is this the only good way to do it? To buy a program? Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't find any free "undelete" utilities on VersionTracker. There might be HFS+ undelete utilities for BSD, but I don't know of any offhand.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71

Well I have certainly run programs since then. The pictures are online in a photo album but I wanted to keep the originals. Is this the only good way to do it? To buy a program? Thanks for your help.

Yes, it is. There's no freeware undelete utilities for MacOS X. There aren't that many for Windows, AFAIK, either. So, commercial apps are about the only route to go.

After you buy a commercial data recovery app, I'd suggest investing in some blank CDs or DVDs, and start a regular backup routine for your collection. At least, until 10.5 comes out, and then you just need a spare hard drive.