News flash: Apple confirms media event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In a digital invitation sent out to US-based media this morning, Apple confirmed that it will hold a special event on September 12 to introduce new products and services.

"It's Showtime," reads the invite, which displays a two-dimensional white Apple logo swept by four crisscrossing Hollywood movie premiere spotlights on a navy blue background.

The event is scheduled for 10:00 am local time at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco, Calif.

Apple is expected to use the event to usher in a new chapter in its digital media strategy, which should include new iMacs, iPods, iTunes movies and 'one more thing.'

The Apple Invite

The Yerba Buena Center Theater

Comments

• Reply 1 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It seemed to be pretty definite for the last week.
  • Reply 2 of 229
    But I just bought the old flash!
  • Reply 3 of 229
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazola

But I just bought the old flash!

I'll give you that one... We're working quickly this morning
  • Reply 4 of 229
    "It's Showtime"

that is pretty obvious indicator that movie DL service is coming.
  • Reply 5 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just posted this on the new cell phone thread:

"According to MacDailyNews:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/10782/

But it's back now. I'm not sure what changed. I'm not there every day.

Can anyone tell if anything has been changed?"
  • Reply 6 of 229
    It could possibly indicate a nice HD 23" iMac? (Someone please agree with me so I am happy for at least the next week )
  • Reply 7 of 229
    What better way to watch movies than on a 23" iMac?
  • Reply 8 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

What better way to watch movies than on a 23" iMac?

well it would be great to watch movies on a 23'' iMac but the problem is that it would look terrible if you download movies to watch on 23'' iMac.

it would be great watching it with DVD but not with iTunes movie service. so it's an irony.
  • Reply 9 of 229
    It'll only be 'showtime' if the iTMS sells DVD-resolution/quality movies.

It would be pretty stupid to release a 23" iMac (assuming Apple will introduce such a product) and then sell 320x240 (or a widescreen variant of a postage stamp-sized video) to go with it.

I guess this means an update to iTunes next week...but does this mean iTunes will stop sucking for video? Doubtful.
  • Reply 10 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

It'll only be 'showtime' if the iTMS sells DVD-resolution/quality movies.

It would be pretty stupid to release a 23" iMac (assuming Apple will introduce such a product) and then sell 320x240 (or a widescreen variant of a postage stamp-sized video) to go with it.

I guess this means an update to iTunes next week...but does this mean iTunes will stop sucking for video? Doubtful.

yeah but think of the file sizes.
  • Reply 11 of 229
    You can compress DVD-sized video down to a GB or two of data. 1 gig costs Apple 50 cents or so of bandwidth. For a $10 movie, not a huge issue.
  • Reply 12 of 229
    Jesus... Did we get enough AI watermarks on that image?
  • Reply 13 of 229
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

No, I'm adding a couple more.

• Reply 14 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

With an image with so little variation, I guess it would be too easy to remove just one watermark.
  • Reply 15 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

You can compress DVD-sized video down to a GB or two of data. 1 gig costs Apple 50 cents or so of bandwidth. For a $10 movie, not a huge issue.

but if each movie is 2 gigs, a collection would 1) take an eternity to download, and 2) take up a huge chunk of the hard drive.

dont get me wrong, unless the movies are at least DVD quality its a waste... im just not sure how they could pull it off... though it looks like they have something ready.
  • Reply 16 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus

but if each movie is 2 gigs, a collection would 1) take an eternity to download, and 2) take up a huge chunk of the hard drive.

dont get me wrong, unless the movies are at least DVD quality its a waste... im just not sure how they could pull it off... though it looks like they have something ready.

Data backup to DVD - burn the movies to a DVD in such a way that you fit 2-3 of them on the DVD in a format that's locked to iTunes.

Yes, downloads would take a while. The real problem is that if it catches on, ISPs will run out of bandwidth (since they oversell like mad)
  • Reply 17 of 229
    Maybe this is where iTunes with Bittorrent will come alive... Make the studios seed movies.
  • Reply 18 of 229
    Or maybe every GB or so you seed gets you a free iTunes song...
  • Reply 19 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Data backup to DVD - burn the movies to a DVD in such a way that you fit 2-3 of them on the DVD in a format that's locked to iTunes.

Yes, downloads would take a while. The real problem is that if it catches on, ISPs will run out of bandwidth (since they oversell like mad)

having to burn these to DVDs would be even more time consuming, not to mention a DRM nightmare. i am really curious to see what they have, ahem, in store for all of us.
  • Reply 20 of 229
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    How many movies are most people going to download at one time? You may get 4-5 movies when you go to Blockbuster but do you go out and buy 4-5 of them at a time? There will probably be a huge spike when it opens up then it will level off and finally start to grow as more and more people get the compatible hardware and software to view the movies on a TV.