Apple cell phone is real and ready for production - analyst

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I think this is a good candidate for the funniest thing I will read/hear today, and it's still not even 9:30 in the morning. I hope Steve someday realizes that people are actuall pretty good with multiple buttons. I think this is one thing that is really holding Apple back. For example, how many people would like a good "off" button on their iPod so they didn't have to sit there waiting, especially since holding play only works about half the time on my wife's Nano.

Funny! However it has been said that perfection is not reached at the point where you can add no more, but at the point where nothing else can be taken away.
  • Reply 22 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s

In the article, it mentions that LG's Chocolate media phone has been panned by critics. I've yet to see these. What are the major complaints on it?

The TV ads make it look "sweet" but that's expected in a PR spin.

my girlfriend was ready to buy one just based on seeing it in the commercials. i was prone to be positive about it until i played with it. it really is a piece of junk. the front navigation dial is also not a dial. it's just lousy touch-sensitive buttons that also press. but not like the ipod's click-wheel at all. i was CONSTANTLY pressing the wrong buttons by accident. and the menu structure is just abysmal. i've never gone from expecting to like a product to actually hating it in such a short time. my girlfriend disliked it enough that she just delayed her purchasing decision for a few weeks since it was such a disappointment. plus the interface design is gaudy colorful and just ugly.
  • Reply 23 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Oh, so you've seen it, Wu?

Oh, so you haven't seen it, Wu?

He doesn't have to have seen it. all he has to have done is speak to people who know about it. That doesn't mean that they will know everything about it.
  • Reply 24 of 160
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

He doesn't have to have seen it. all he has to have done is speak to people who know about it. That doesn't mean that they will know everything about it.

If he merely has sources, and hasn't actually seen any proof himself, why does he make it sound like this is definite, rather than just a rumor?
  • Reply 25 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

If he merely has sources, and hasn't actually seen any proof himself, why does he make it sound like this is definite, rather than just a rumor?

Because his sources are better than the ones the rumors sites use. They get to talk to the executives, not the errand boy.

It's like the WSJ Intel rumor.
  • Reply 26 of 160
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I think this is a good candidate for the funniest thing I will read/hear today, and it's still not even 9:30 in the morning. I hope Steve someday realizes that people are actuall pretty good with multiple buttons. I think this is one thing that is really holding Apple back. For example, how many people would like a good "off" button on their iPod so they didn't have to sit there waiting, especially since holding play only works about half the time on my wife's Nano.

Call me crazy (pause...) but I thought about a phone with only a iPod scroll wheel. Most people don't dial somebody out of the blue. They usually have them in their contacts and choosing a contact with a scroll wheel would be as easy as choosing a playlist. Entering a new number could also be done using the wheel.

A before anyone raises the issue, 911 would be a built-in preset.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD

Call me crazy (pause...) but I thought about a phone with only a iPod scroll wheel. Most people don't dial somebody out of the blue. They usually have them in their contacts and choosing a contact with a scroll wheel would be as easy as choosing a playlist. Entering a new number could also be done using the wheel.

You don't send text messages, do you?
  • Reply 28 of 160
    Good timing. My T630 is dying!

And I could probably throw it in with my ADC discount, while i Buy my Merom MBP in a month..
  • Reply 29 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

You could use the scrollwheel to select letters, numbers, etc from a matrix on the screen. Easier than those two or three button combinations on most phones.
  • Reply 30 of 160
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

You could use the scrollwheel to select letters, numbers, etc from a matrix on the screen. Easier than those two or three button combinations on most phones.

You've never tried entering a message on a gaming console using the controller, have you?

Suffice to say, I think using an iPod scroll wheel as a "rotary dial" phone would be great... but it'd be murder for text messaging.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    Quote:

T9 Text dictionaries v scrolling through letters like an arcade machine circa 1978? Don't be silly.

Maybe they'll bring back the Newton text recognition for their phone.

IMHO, they can do no better than to reskin UIQ 3.1 from Sony Ericsson and a quick tidy up. They've already got experience of writing Symbian applications as that's how iSync works on Nokia Series 60 and UIQ. The chipsets for Symbian are a fraction of the power requirements of Windows Mobile and Palm.

If they base the design on American users then it'll be laughed out of Europe as a smartphone. If they base it on European design then there'll just be cries of "Can't I get a stinkin phone that just dials like a phone with no other crap on?" from America.

Then again they could just sell it on style alone like Motorola and LG do. Crap phones that are a pain to use but mighty purdy.
  • Reply 32 of 160
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

Nope, not a one.

Proud of myself about that.

If I did, I'd buy a Blackberry.
  • Reply 33 of 160
    Wu's really sticking his neck out here. If he's wrong this time, I'm changing my sig.
  • Reply 34 of 160
    This is it :

well, probably more like this :

http://www.floatingpears.com/garage/iPhone.jpg
  • Reply 35 of 160
    I hope they introduce more than one model of phone.

A basic and an advanced.

Did I mention my phone contract expires on Oct 17th? : )
  • Reply 36 of 160
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman

This is it :

Wow, this would totally OWN the Pixie demographic.
  • Reply 37 of 160
    Let's hope it's not made out of the crappy, scratchy iPod Nano plastic
  • Reply 38 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

Wow, this would totally OWN the Pixie demographic.

Now, that's what I call a phone!
  • Reply 39 of 160
    Quote:

This is it :

Little Suzy wants to know... does it come in pink?
  • Reply 40 of 160
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

This is it :

<smacks hand on forehead>

Why didn't I think of this first!?