Dual video cards on Mac Pros. Does this mean they support SLI?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    1)
    Quote:

Ether way welcome to the forum and BTW, why do you come to Mac forums anyway?

tsk tsk tsk -->
    Quote:

I sometimes look at some apple forums to take a look at what the zealots are up to now. This time a spotted an SLI thread...

2)
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somalimafia

b)
    Quote:

Apple has been wanting to avoid the "gaming machine" -tag to look serious in the eyes of creative professional (Apple's biggest customer segment) and getting SLI/Crossfire really does not help.

I tend to avoid proclaiming "I know what Apple thinks" posts because chances are you don't.

--

Ohh Boy here we go. And we were the know it all's. Apparently we are ready for a schooling on "What Apple thinks" now.

--> Read this...

3)
    Quote:

I think your adding more confusion.

It is all in your head.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

d) Im afraid that these two comics represent the Apple (gaming) platform quite accurately

Clicky

Clicky vol. II

More so, they represent the lack of intelligence on that site.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    I don't think Somalimafia realizes those comics are supposed to be jokes. One of the people who actually does them has said that.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php/faq

Quote:

Q: You made fun of Macs today. Why do you hate Macs so much?

A. I don't hate Macs. I personally have no use for them, but that doesn't mean I hate Macs. I do, however, dislike fanboys who can't take a joke, and I enjoy seeing them get all bent out of shape.

I do a comic strip here. I make jokes about stuff I love just as much as I make jokes about things I don't like. Don't automatically assume I dislike something just because I make a joke about it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-200543.html

I mean, he's using comics to try and prove a point?
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:

I don't think Somalimafia realizes those comics are supposed to be jokes. One of the people who actually does them has said that.

I mean, he's using comics to try and prove a point?

I dont think you realize that I know they are jokes.

I was just trying bring some comic relief to an otherwise serious post.

I hate it when people intentionally misunderstand me
  • Reply 65 of 83
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    multiple gpus isn't all about gaming, eg: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08...s_quadro_plex/

don't you think apple would like to be able to offer dual quadros in some kind of sli-or-call-it-what-you-want..?
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

multiple gpus isn't all about gaming, eg: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08...s_quadro_plex/

don't you think apple would like to be able to offer dual quadros in some kind of sli-or-call-it-what-you-want..?

nVidia Quadros can function in SLI just like the normal Geforce cards and it even doesnt require a different motherboard compared to normal SLI. Where Geforces can work in SLI so can the Quadros. Quadro SLI is meant for heavy duty 3D designing while the Geforce SLI is for gaming, however.

If I remember correctly, that external-box-SLI-thingy is platform independent so theoretically it could work with a Mac, if the proper drivers were developed.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

Okay, that's one.

Buehler... Buehler...

I'll be too. I mean, why even _buy_ a tower Mac and not upgrade the graphics. If your a professional and go through a computer every year, your right. But if your buy a decked out computer and use it till it blows up your going to replace EVERYTHING that can be.

My 533 MHz Power Mac has been through multiple CPU changes, multiple drive changes, and... multiple GPU changes. I'm sure Apple hates that and why they make sure to price those machines higher. Cause that 533 Dual is now a Dual 1.8 GHz machine, with a 9800 Pro, and 10K Raptor drive.

I currently have a "Wintendo" for games and an Intel Mac mini I plan on upgrading with a faster processor by hand but between these new Mac Pros, XP compatibility, virtualization with 3D acceleration, and Cider I might consolidate back to a single Power(ful) Mac. I've heard they are quiet too.

For SLI (or CrossFire, whatever) I've found my Radeon X1900 XT in my PC to be fast enough. I play Quake 4 at 1680x1050 without problems. The only thing that worries me about CrossFire is these Radeons are LOUD. I own a model with a different cooling system so I have no complaints but stock under load is very loud and CrossFire with stock is worse. I don't care how much faster it is.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

If I remember correctly, that external-box-SLI-thingy is platform independent so theoretically it could work with a Mac, if the proper drivers were developed.

Ya know, what the hell ever happened to that concept? I would love to be able to have a seperate box for GPUs that I can plug into a computer.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Ok, you pretty much said the same thing twice so I don't need to agree twice, but in the first part GeForce 7950GX2 is currently the fastest consumer level performance card from Nvidia so do we actually know if there isn't a card made that isn't saturating the 8x slot yet? This single cards has dual GPU's, and from many quick google searches I think it does.

Point two. Just how long is graphics technology going to remain not saturating that slot? (I think less than a year 8x slots will be a well known graphics bottle neck) I think there are a few cards that do need 16X now including the GeForce 7950GX2.

A 7950 gx2 doesnt even saturate 8x. 16x is still just marketing hype
  • Reply 70 of 83
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

A 7950 gx2 doesnt even saturate 8x. 16x is still just marketing hype

Do you have a link to a test that proves that?
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

Do you have a link to a test that proves that?

The x2 cards need a x16 link to work
  • Reply 72 of 83
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

nVidia Quadros can function in SLI just like the normal Geforce cards and it even doesnt require a different motherboard compared to normal SLI. Where Geforces can work in SLI so can the Quadros. Quadro SLI is meant for heavy duty 3D designing while the Geforce SLI is for gaming, however.

There is not one fu¢%1ng thing you have said in here that we have not been aware of, yet you write it like your telling us something we don't know. Why don't you take you clown suit, and go back to the PC world and let us "Zealots" chat in peace?

Quote:

sometimes look at some apple forums to take a look at what the zealots are up to

OK, you've looked, and we've read what you said, and what it is your saying is what? You obviously don't use a Mac, but you want to come to a Mac users forum, and say something, we have no idea why, but your not the first PC user to come here just to start shit. Funny thing is. I don't remember ever going into a PC forum and bashing your OS, which would be so easy for me to do, weather it be windows or linux.

So essentially we thank you for coming, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

OK, you've looked, and we've read what you said, and what it is your saying is what? You obviously don't use a Mac, but you want to come to a Mac users forum, and say something, we have no idea why, but your not the first PC user to come here just to start shit. Funny thing is. I don't remember ever going into a PC forum and bashing your OS, which would be so easy for me to do, weather it be windows or linux.

So essentially we thank you for coming, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

You know, there are times when watching the boards is a lot of fun. onlooker, that had to be the most elegant, polite, and informative way of telling him: Quit polluting our boards with your Windows Shit!!

Thank you, onlooker.

• Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:

There is not one fu¢%1ng thing you have said in here that we have not been aware of, yet you write it like your telling us something we don't know. Why don't you take you clown suit, and go back to the PC world and let us "Zealots" chat in peace?

Quote:

Quote:

You know, there are times when watching the boards is a lot of fun. onlooker, that had to be the most elegant, polite, and informative way of telling him: Quit polluting our boards with your Windows Shit!!

Thank you, onlooker.

Tsk tsk tsk... Obviously you haven't read I word I've said. I did not bash you about windows. I (tried) to educate you barbarians about the true nature of SLI and in return I get flamed. What you wrote is a perfect example of what happens when blind fanatism kicks in.

And I thought you people wanted to be seen as tolerant and friendly towards other computer users.

Since you are unable to comprehend matters larger than yourself or Steve Jobs, I leave you to rot on this forum.

Keep thinking about your precious macs and how much you love them and shouting "OS X is better than windows!" to any passing by windows users. Perhaps some day you will believe in it too.

Good bye *Escapes through the window before getting chased by angry zombie legion of Apple zealots*
  • Reply 75 of 83
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    A Mac forum that has Mac fans in it? INCONCEIVABLE!
  • Reply 76 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    A Mac forum that has predictable idiots that really don't know shit? Typical.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

The x2 cards need a x16 link to work

Need? Or are artificially limited to it?

Just asking, not accusing.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Need? Or are artificially limited to it?

Just asking, not accusing.

the x2 card sends 8 lanes to each card.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Tsk tsk tsk... Obviously you haven't read I word I've said. I did not bash you about windows. I (tried) to educate you barbarians about the true nature of SLI and in return I get flamed. What you wrote is a perfect example of what happens when blind fanatism kicks in.

And I thought you people wanted to be seen as tolerant and friendly towards other computer users.

Since you are unable to comprehend matters larger than yourself or Steve Jobs, I leave you to rot on this forum.

Keep thinking about your precious macs and how much you love them and shouting "OS X is better than windows!" to any passing by windows users. Perhaps some day you will believe in it too.

Good bye *Escapes through the window before getting chased by angry zombie legion of Apple zealots*

How in the hell did I miss this flame war?

Damn I missed out.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    @Somalimafia

After the first posts, I really thought you might have a idea of both worlds, but the statement "Perhaps some day you will believe in it too." made obvious that you care about gaming, not (much) more...

That's why you shouldn't call us "zealots" in general, we are not the ones to spend ~1000 $ for a unproductive SLI-Config which looses 50% of its value in half a year.

However you're definatly right about the critics of some, but I don't think you really enriched this forum with your posts, the fact that you cannot change SLI on the fly actually was the only thing I haven't read here before. ButI also doubt that we'll see an official SLI/Crossfire-solution under OSX soon, apart from the quadros.

By the way, I'm not just one Apple-Fanatics who never really tried windows, I switched to OSX only 2 weeks ago and don't regret it, even though I could have bought the most badass-windows-gamign rig (X1950 CF) instead of mymac pro, but for what? To play some egoshooter with 6xAA and High-Detail?