ADC to DVI connector

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been looking at some Apple Cinema displays on ebay and other sites, and I would love to buy one to go with my MacBook that I am getting on Sunday. The problem is most of them have an ADC connector, I know there are ADC to DVI connectors, but has anyone every done this??? Does it make the image quality poor and no difference at all???

Thanks

-iGrant

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    We have an older Cinema display hooked up to a G5 with DVI that way in my school's magazine production office. It looks OK, no real difference vs. other monitors.

(At least I assume it's ADC to DVI, I never really looked)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

I have been looking at some Apple Cinema displays on ebay and other sites, and I would love to buy one to go with my MacBook that I am getting on Sunday. The problem is most of them have an ADC connector, I know there are ADC to DVI connectors, but has anyone every done this??? Does it make the image quality poor and no difference at all???

There is a special converter because ADC supplies power, so it needs a DC supply, not just an adapter. Last I checked, that complete converter kit costs $99 so keep that in mind when bidding. I don't think it affects image quality vs. a normal ADC output, it's basically DVI with power supply so it should not hurt the image.