Flash a Mac Pro7300GT to Pc

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got the opportunity to sell my 7300GT (default Mac Pro) to my friend who use PC. Is it possible to flash the card for a PC ? Is it hard ? Safe ?

If you use a Mac Pro and want it, I could sell it to you instead

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You don't need to flash it for it to work in the PC.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

You don't need to flash it for it to work in the PC.

Are you serious ? That would be cool. Are you like 100% sure ?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm pretty sure I've seen somebody do it already. Basically it has two firmwares on its ROM chip and the Windows BIOS one will load up by default unless specified otherwise by the EFI Mac firmware.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Thx dude, I'll give it a try. If I sell the card to a pc guy, I will send you some money
  • Reply 5 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmegatool

Thx dude, I'll give it a try. If I sell the card to a pc guy, I will send you some money

It's a well known fact.

barefeats said so: http://barefeats.com/quad10.html

I also heard it from a friend who tried it, and someone on strangedogs.com talked about it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen somebody do it already. Basically it has two firmwares on its ROM chip and the Windows BIOS one will load up by default unless specified otherwise by the EFI Mac firmware.

So PC users can use Mac chips but Mac users can't use PC chips? That kinda sucks. This seems to happen a lot on the Mac end.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Well, how many PCs can run OS X AND Windows That's what happens on the Mac end
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

So PC users can use Mac chips but Mac users can't use PC chips? That kinda sucks. This seems to happen a lot on the Mac end.

That's just because no PC manufacturers make EFI/BIOS cards yet, it's not because Apple has engineered it to be incompatible for margin profit.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

That's just because no PC manufacturers make EFI/BIOS cards yet, it's not because Apple has engineered it to be incompatible for margin profit.

I see. I guess the situation isn't going to change now that Vista won't support EFI either. Or will card manufacturers support both as time goes on?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Actually, most modern PC Video cards support EFI.. It's Apple's firmware and OS X drivers that don't support the PC cards.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    And 64kb ROM issue you pointed out in that other thread slughead...