Decision: iMac vs Mac Book Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Other than the obvious of one is a notebook and one is not...What are the pros and cons of both? Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hi,

I understand where you are coming from - I was facing the same thing about a year ago. When I ran across something called an iLugger II case, I went with iMac - the iLugger case made it portable (granted it's 25-30 lbs) but I transport it maybe 1-2 times per week.

Pros on the iMac:

greater bang for buck (cheaper ram, bigger hard drive, bigger screen)

Pros for the MacBook

More portable

So the bottom line is - how often would you need to transport it. If it's every day, go MBP - if it's 1 or 2 times a week, go iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Basically they are the same machine. Same basic mobo, same ram (contrary to previous poster), etc.

The differences are:

Screen size (20 & 24"), HD size/speed (ie: better), and price (better value generally).

Currently the iMac has a 64 bit processor, but the MBP should soon follow.

Both are very good machines. I personally love the freedom and portability of a notebook; I don't want to always have to sit in the same spot to use my machine.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the info phil and 1337...I do appreciate it and I think you guys have both given me some good insight...I have had a notebook since 1999...so I am not quite sure if I am going to be able to give up the versitility of a notebook...we'll see