How good is the invidia 7600 in the new iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As the title says...

Is this a good enough video card to run cames such as counter-strike, or battlefield 2?

Just wondering how good this card is

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

As the title says...

Is this a good enough video card to run cames such as counter-strike, or battlefield 2?

Just wondering how good this card is

Cant see it being a problem for an old game like counter-strike which worked fine with my Voodoo 3 :0)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

As the title says... Is this a good enough video card to run cames such as counter-strike, or battlefield 2? Just wondering how good this card is

The nVidia 7600GT 256MB Ram in the new iMac 24" will run the latest games at medium to medium-high settings at high resolutions. If the game supports it, you can play medium to high quality with 7600GT at 1920 by 1200 pixels resolution, the native resolution of the iMac screen.

CounterStrike, CounterStrike:Source, Battlefield2, HalfLife2, F.E.A.R and all that should be decent under Bootcamp Windows on the new iMac 24" with 7600GT custom-ordered.

At the moment the nVidia 7600GT is somewhere along the lines of ATI X1800 - considered "high performance without being too pricey" - 7600GT sits just below 7900GT, 7900GTX and 7950GX2 - so it is like at this stage, 4th best nVidia card. Quite decent, because 7900GTX and above is really overkill unless you want super high quality and high resolutions or if you want to get the ultimate best video card.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I was on the forums for the new Total War game (which is graphics intense with 8000 little men or whatever), and they had a "what should I upgrade to" thread, and the 7600GT was the most common choice (aside from rich people). I resisted the urge to post my specs though...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Bit of a threadjake here, if you'll forgive...

An equally important question to me personally is, what is the refresh rate like on the displays, which are presumably new since they're supposed to be brighter? I like to play very fast-paced games like UT2004 and I don't want to see any ghosting.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have a 6ms 20" display. The average is 8-10 ms I think. 24" displays are worse in general.