Please Explain: Daisy Chain?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at this hard drive enclosure because it supports Firewire 800. I currenlty have two spare hard drives lying around. If I picked up two of these cases and "daisy chained" them together and then had one plug going into my computer, would it show both drives or would it combine them as one external drive? How does this all work. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

I'm looking at this hard drive enclosure because it supports Firewire 800. I currenlty have two spare hard drives lying around. If I picked up two of these cases and "daisy chained" them together and then had one plug going into my computer, would it show both drives or would it combine them as one external drive? How does this all work. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

It would show both drives...just like in the SCSI days.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    You'd have both drives separate, but you'd be limited in terms of speed. If you plan on accessing both drives at once, you sort of lose out because they share the FW bus. But that's worst case, and they're as fast as FW400 even then.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

this one has a better chip set

http://www.cooldrives.com/3alox922fi80.html
  • Reply 4 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

this one has a better chip set

http://www.cooldrives.com/3alox922fi80.html

Indeed. Always look at the chipsets. They can make a huge difference.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Indeed. Always look at the chipsets. They can make a huge difference.

Really? I have no idea. I ordered a 24" iMac and want to be able to use my old hard drives for something, and since the 24" has FW800 I figured I should utilize the speed.

What makes one chip set better then another?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Really? I have no idea. I ordered a 24" iMac and want to be able to use my old hard drives for something, and since the 24" has FW800 I figured I should utilize the speed.

What makes one chip set better then another?

Speed, packet loss, latency, and compatibility.

You can benchmark a lot of that stuff.. one site to look at is http://www.barefeats.com

and btw, never buy a drive enclosure from cooldrives.com, their PSU's SUCK (the one mentioned before may be OK, as it has an external PSU).