MacBook and MacBook Pro to get Core 2 Duo Simultaneously?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is just speculation on my part but is there any reason why this wouldn't occur? Would Apple cripple it's low end portable just for the sake of crippling it? The cost of the Core 2 Duo chip is very close to the cost of a Core Duo chip (same clockspeed) and as far as I can see there would be no reason to skimp out on the MacBook..unless of course they were doing it just to piss me off. I've got my finger on the trigger for one (need it for school) but I'm waiting..for some reason....for merom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    If the MacBooks are selling like the hot-cakes everyone says they are, then no, it won't get a Merom chip at the same time as the MBP. Intel's still shipping Core Duo's in quantity, whereas the Core 2 Duo is just now ramping. To avoid supply issues, Apple will probably first upfit the MBP and maybe the MB in January (or sooner if sales drop off or supply becomes available).
  • Reply 2 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Almost certainly MBPs first. I've thinking for a while now that MBPs would get Core 2 (of course), and MacBooks stick with Core 1 and a $100 price decrease, but recently I'm less sure. It's quite possible even Apple hasn't decided yet.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I am starting to wonder if even the MBP will ever see a Merom processor. I passed up on a wad of tax savings to wait it out for Merom. As much as I would love to see it announced on Tuesday, a new MBP just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of Tuesday's theme.

Maybe Apple wants to roll things out little by little so they stay in the media each week. But, I am starting to worry that they'll lay up and wait for the Santa Rosa processors next year.

Please tell me I'm nuts.....
  • Reply 4 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrowdy

I am starting to wonder if even the MBP will ever see a Merom processor. I passed up on a wad of tax savings to wait it out for Merom. As much as I would love to see it announced on Tuesday, a new MBP just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of Tuesday's theme.

Maybe Apple wants to roll things out little by little so they stay in the media each week. But, I am starting to worry that they'll lay up and wait for the Santa Rosa processors next year.

Well I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen by the end of the month. The 17" MBP is almost a 3k computer. That's an awful lot of money not to have the latest and greatest. I think sales of MBPs will begin to tumble if they don't get Merom soon.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    both may get C2D merom upgrade since Price points from Intel is same ... and have a added advantage over the PC world (MacBook having C2D)
  • Reply 6 of 26
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

You're nuts

And a chronic pessimist.

[edit]spelling[/edit]
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

both may get C2D merom upgrade since Price points from Intel is same ... and have a added advantage over the PC world (MacBook having C2D)

I don't agree.

Apple will push the MacBook Pro sales because of the higher margins with everything they can use for that purpose.

If that means no Merom for the MacBook for a while, Apple will follow that route.

But since I never expected the processor speed of the first MacBook installment would be higher than 1.83Ghz means I have been wrong before.

(As with the iMac getting Conroe instead of Merom, as with the iMac got a 23" instead of a 24" screen etc. etc.)

According to this inquirer article the iMeromBook aka MacBook has to wait until 2007.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Gar, Thank you. What I needed to hear. Did you mean chronicle?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    No, that was Safaris spellchecker
  • Reply 10 of 26
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

If the MacBooks are selling like the hot-cakes everyone says they are, then no, it won't get a Merom chip at the same time as the MBP. Intel's still shipping Core Duo's in quantity, whereas the Core 2 Duo is just now ramping. To avoid supply issues, Apple will probably first upfit the MBP and maybe the MB in January (or sooner if sales drop off or supply becomes available).

If Apple updates the MBP and not the MB then sales of the MB will probably slow because everyone will be expecting them to put Merom in it soon after. In which case, updating them separately would probably not be a good idea. Of course, this is only speculation.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lust

If Apple updates the MBP and not the MB then sales of the MB will probably slow because everyone will be expecting them to put Merom in it soon after. In which case, updating them separately would probably not be a good idea. Of course, this is only speculation.

I don't agree with this.

I think most people go buy whats available in their price range when they need it regardless.. and I'd surmise most consumers _are not_ keeping up with the Intel roadmap. (people and their families here excluded)

As well, I'd put good money that if you showed and focus group a sign reading "Core Duo", and then showed them a sign reading "Core 2 Duo", a lot of them would not even register that you showed them a different sign, much less think one is that much better than the other..
  • Reply 12 of 26
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

I don't agree.

Apple will push the MacBook Pro sales because of the higher margins with everything they can use for that purpose.

If that means no Merom for the MacBook for a while, Apple will follow that route.

But since I never expected the processor speed of the first MacBook installment would be higher than 1.83Ghz means I have been wrong before.

(As with the iMac getting Conroe instead of Merom, as with the iMac got a 23" instead of a 24" screen etc. etc.)

According to this inquirer article the iMeromBook aka MacBook has to wait until 2007.

Why MacBoook With Merom

1. Drop in CPU

2. Same Price Points from intel

3. No 13" MacBook Pro

4. APPLE will get more discount when ordering same CPU in large Quantities for iMac, MacBook & MacBook Pro (leaving only Mac Mini for longer term with C2D yonah)

Why No MacBook with Merom

1. CPU availability - since iMac also uses same CPU

2. APPLE wants to go back to G4 days to cripple the system

3. $100 drop in all the models

well in Dell Singapore site, two models upgraded to C2D merom, and other models you can upgrade to C2D Merom for a mere $s50 ...

there is no reason not to have C2D in MacBook as the same time as Pro version (as this point in time), knowing in Jan 2007, there is gonna be 800 Mhz FSB Merom with Santa Rosa platform going to be released which has different PIN and Mother Boad, until that time both will have equality...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Im hoping that apple will atleast put the C2D in the pro's because I plan to get a pretty good deal if that happens, $1800(Education)-$180(iPod Rebate)-$200(iPod sold on eBay)=$1688 incl. tax. But tax is taken at $2180 so thats like $150 tax for me. But i figure that's an awesome price for a brand new MBP w/ C2D.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I was originally a proponent of the idea that Apple would definitely upgrade the MacBook and MacBook Pro simultaneously to Merom, for all the reasons previously mentioned.

However, the one thing that has me worried is the Mac mini upgrade that stuck with the Yonah. It also could have been a drop in replacement, no motherboard changes, same price points kinda of issue...so why didn't Apple do it? Since the iMac is using 2.0 through 2.33 Merom chips, and the MacBook/MacBook Pro will be using the same speeds, why didn't Apple use the 1.66 and 1.8 2 MB L2 cache versions of Merom in the mini? They don't need to "reserve them" for something else?

So the mini not being upgraded to Merom might mean Apple could keep the MacBook with Yonah for at least the next revision. In my opinion...but hoping I'm wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    maybe the mini is where they'll use up all the old chips they ordered?

i hope they put the meroms in both notebook lines soon, as i really want to order one, but i'm waiting for this big announcement.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Macbook is shipping in 5-7 business days. MBP is within 24 hours.

Now, discuss amongst yourselves....
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Macbook is shipping in 5-7 business days. MBP is within 24 hours.

Now, discuss amongst yourselves....

That's because they can't keep up with demand, not because of a chip change.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Some of you need to realize that most consumer, $1000, laptops don't have the Core 2, so why should Apple feel pressured to include that chip in their $1000 MB, especially when the model is selling so well? The only logical reason why Apple would put the Core 2 in the MB before Christmas is if the supply of the chips and their prices are equivalent to Yonah.

I envision a speed bump to 2GHz, 2.16GHz and hopefully a GPU upgrade (7300 GT perhaps?), more HDD space, SD standard, etc., while the MBP gets the Core 2 with possibly a 7600 GT.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    As of a couple of weeks ago I was convinced I would receive an upgraded macbook, and that they would upgrade them before the 12th (or on that date). I ordered Aug. 23, and had a estimated delivery day of Sept. 6. They then said it would ship Sept. 15 and arrive the 24th. Most people would assume that would mean an upgrade on the 12th. However, I am responding to this chain on my MacBook that wasn't upgraded. I don't think they are going to speed bump them for awhile. If they do, I just got this on Friday, (even though it was custom order), and I will complain that they told me no upgrades would take place.\
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skitzogreg

If they do, I just got this on Friday, (even though it was custom order), and I will complain that they told me no upgrades would take place.\

I don't think that Apple retail staff know any more about product releases than we do.