24" iMac v Mac Pro.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Was one the brink of placing an order for teh 24" iMac then I thought about how it will NOT be futureproof - it's not been that long since the Core Duo revision and now a new one is out already!

My question is, how much more future proof is the Xeon(s) in the Mac Pro than the Core 2 Duo in the iMac 24"?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Not much.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    You can replace the Xeons with newer Xeons coming out in 2007 and 2008, and you can upgrade the graphics cards with any card Apple intros in a Macintosh (since someone will probably gladly pirate you the drivers).

That said, each of those is a major expense - probably $300 or more for each processor (midrange) and $300 or $400 for a graphics card. It may be worth it to get the iMac, because when you do the Mac Pro upgrade two or three years down the road, you'll be spending $1500 or more (esp. if you upgrade HDDs or RAM) and at that point you may as well buy another iMac and give the older one to your wife/kid/dog/me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd ask yourself what upgrades you're performed in the past. If all it is more RAM or a bigger HD, the iMac is probably up your alley. The current iMacs can have their processors upgraded and the 24" iMac can even have its graphics card upgraded, so there's lots of options there.

I'd say unless you need the extra Mac Pro power (like me!) or have the extra money to throw around, the iMac is your best bet especially since it has Front Row, built-in iSight, and can accept up to 3 GB of RAM.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

The current iMacs can have their processors upgraded and the 24" iMac can even have its graphics card upgraded, so there's lots of options there.

Not to be rude, but do you have any links on this? It sounds WAY too good to be true. For example, where will the processors come from? And won't newer graphics cards have heating/space issues, such as fans and huge heat sinks?

Thanks,

-jay
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Processors are drop-in replacements to the current socket. However, the current socket in the iMacs is being discontinued. The 24" iMac's graphics card is on a MXM, which is the only way to upgrade notebook graphics. Now there aren't many MXM cards, and there are no MXM EFI cards, but if Apple revs the iMac....

That said, bear in mind that a 20" widescreen will set you back $300 for the low-end, and a 23" or 24" screen is gonna be $600 at least.