Deleteing files from flash drive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey

i have a little problem... whenever i am using my flash drive and go to move a file to the trash it doesnt look like its there anymore but there is still no more free space on the drive then before i moved the file. The only way to acutally get the files off is to go on my... PC... and then it shows a "._Trash" folder or soemthing like that.

Is there anyway to do that while on my Mac or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

-matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbG5

Hey

i have a little problem... whenever i am using my flash drive and go to move a file to the trash it doesnt look like its there anymore but there is still no more free space on the drive then before i moved the file. The only way to acutally get the files off is to go on my... PC... and then it shows a "._Trash" folder or soemthing like that.

Thanks for your help!

-matt

I have run into this problem from time to time... I think that if you move something to the recycle bin on your WinPC, it will stay in there, even if you empty the trash once plugged into a Mac.

I think that you need to empty the recycle bin while connected to your WinPC to delete those files were placed there while in the Windows environment. You need to empty the trash in OSX to delete the files that were placed in trash while in the OSX environment.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbG5

Hey

Thanks for your help!

-matt

You need to empty the trash on the Mac. Like you said, you 'moved' the file to the Trash folder. This is a hidden folder on the Mac but is visible on the PC. (The period at the beginning of a folder or file name hides the file.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    In my experience everybody has that problem when using FAT(32) formatted USB sticks on both PCs and Macs. That happens because OS X creates those hidden "._" files as soon as a FAT formatted volume is mounted in OS X.

There is no cure for that, as far as I know.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    When you delete a file in the flash drive, it places the file in a folder in the drive labeled .Trash (it's hidden). It's like the trashcan for the operating system. So you have to go to Finder->empty trash for it to be removed.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    There is an easy fix for this. Refer to this hint:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...query=.trashes

I've used it an it works great! The files are never moved to the trash and Finder always prompts me warning the file will be deleted immediately.