Anti-virus softwares for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was surfing for new programs for my macbook and i chanced upon several antivirus softwares for mac OSX. I got anxious being a "new switcher" that one of the reasons i switched has gone down the drain.

Do we need these anti-virus softwares? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Don't worry. Just because there is a market for something doesn't mean there is an actual need for it.

If/when a virus hits the Mac community, it'll be big news and you'll likely have plenty of time to run out and buy some AV software before getting hit.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    When that day comes, why couldn't Apple just put out a quick update and or patch as they do now to stay ahead of flaws.

Virus software is not viable for the mac.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac

Virus software is not viable for the mac.

Antivirus software on the Mac is most certainly viable. It does exactly what it is designed to do. It disinfects files created back in the days of System 6 and System 7. It also disinfects files created on Windows computers and prevents viruses' being passed on to other Windows users. What it does not do is disinfect MacOS X viruses because--well, there aren't any!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks for your responses. Now i can heaved a big sigh of relief!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    If you want to have OS X protection in the unlikely event of a virus which affects OS X and also prevent passing along Windows viruses via email, then I suggest ClamXav: http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/index.php?page=dl
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Stupid question, what about spyware and adware? I am fairly new to Macs as well.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    No Spyware, or adware on a mac either.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    There was another thread exactly like this a little while back that got some real heated discussion.

Basically, some people say "it's better safe than sorry," etc. and it's good to have antivirus software so you don't pass on viruses to windows users you communicate with.

Others say- There hasn't been a virus or adware or spyware out in the wild that affects OS X in how long now??? So what's the point. And some AV software can hose your system, Norton being the common example.

Me, I don't use AV just so I can brag to my friends. Muaah hahahaha!!!

And if a virus actually was released that affects OS X, you'd know about it and have time to pop on some AV software, because the AV software has to be updated to keep up with the latest viruses anyway. So there's no advantage to having it before hand.