News flash: Apple confirms media event

1678911

Comments

  • Reply 201 of 229
  • Reply 202 of 229
    Argh. Post got eaten. I'll go for the punchlines:



    SpamSandwich - if TV-over-WIMAX saves us spectrum as I think it will, I'm all for it.



    Melgross - we're a third your age. Get over it.
  • Reply 203 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski


    Melgross - we're a third your age. Get over it.



    Why would you think it bothers me? It doesn't. I have friends who are a lot younger, and older, than I am.



    It seems to bother you guys, though I don't know why.
  • Reply 204 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    Why would you think it bothers me? It doesn't. I have friends who are a lot younger, and older, than I am.



    It seems to bother you guys, though I don't know why.



    You're obviously cramping our style... man.
  • Reply 205 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull


    You're obviously cramping our style... man.



    Style! Is that what that is?
  • Reply 206 of 229
    1. Movie download for certain

    2. iPod upgrades



    last minute wish list ...



    2. MacBook Pro with new enclosure?

    3. Mac Cube (highly unlikely)

    4. iPhone



    and give me

    5. one more thing ...
  • Reply 207 of 229
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    I don't know, but stranger things have happened.



    You mean like Sinéad O'Connor becoming a priest?
  • Reply 208 of 229
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove


    I had almost the exact same dream, only instead of Rolo stumbling onto the stage, SJ pulled a mask off to reveal he was Rolo!



    Rolo comes out on stage, rips off his clothes and reveals that he is in fact Peter North and is very much alive.
  • Reply 209 of 229
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Okay, just scared myself with that image. Back on subject. Someone mentioned elsewhere the iPod had support for resolutions higher than what is currently available. I believe one of them was 720xsomething or 704xsomething. Does anyone know what exactly?
  • Reply 210 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984


    You mean like Sinéad O'Connor becoming a priest?



    I heard something about that. Is that true?
  • Reply 211 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984


    Okay, just scared myself with that image. Back on subject. Someone mentioned elsewhere the iPod had support for resolutions higher than what is currently available. I believe one of them was 720xsomething or 704xsomething. Does anyone know what exactly?



    If it's going to be 720 something, then it should be 720 x 480, which is DVD resolution.
  • Reply 212 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    I heard something about that. Is that true?



    According to Wikipedia---



    Ordination

    In the late 1990s, O'Connor was controversially ordained into the schismatic Independent Catholic group known as the Palmarian Catholic Church, by Irish Bishop Michael Cox, in disregard of the prohibition on the ordination of women within Roman Catholicism. As a result she became excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church. Bishop Cox contacted her to offer ordination following her appearance on the RTÉ's Late Late Show, during which she told the presenter, Gay Byrne, that had she not been a singer, she would have wished to have been a Catholic priest (despite that in the Roman Catholic Church, women are not permitted to enter the priesthood). After her service of ordination, she indicated that she wished to be called Mother Bernadette Mary.

    In 2003 she announced that she was going to leave the music industry [4] and train to be a catechist (teacher of the Catholic religion to school children).

    In 2005 she performed at Madison Square Garden at the Jammy Awards and announced plans to release a reggae-influenced album, named Throw Down Your Arms, in October 2005. ABC Radio News, announcing her new album, reported that she has found solace in the Rastafarian faith, and that the religion "saved her life."

    In a 2005 interview by the reggae artist Burning Spear in Andy Warhol's Interview magazine, she reported that her mission is to "rescue God from religion."
  • Reply 213 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    If it's going to be 720 something, then it should be 720 x 480, which is DVD resolution.



    That's NTSC. Don't forget 720 x 576 PAL/SECAM resolution. Let's not forget all those other countries which do PAL/SECAM.



    Image:





    Oh, and EDTV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance...ion_television

    "The common implementations of EDTV are 480 or 576-line signals in progressive scan (as opposed to 50-60 interlaced fields per second, see NTSC, or PAL and SECAM). These are commonly referred to as "480p" and "576p" respectively. In comparison, a standard definition television (SDTV) signal is broadcast with interlaced frames and is commonly referred to as "480i" or "576i". The horizontal resolution is 704 or 720 pixels regardless of aspect ratio. The image is stretched for displaying to an aspect ratio of 4:3 or 16:9."



    Not sure where you got 852x480 it woudl be 704x480 or 720x480 for NTSC.
  • Reply 214 of 229
    .....
  • Reply 215 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984


    ...Back on subject. Someone mentioned elsewhere the iPod had support for resolutions higher than what is currently available. I believe one of them was 720xsomething or 704xsomething. Does anyone know what exactly?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross


    If it's going to be 720 something, then it should be 720 x 480, which is DVD resolution.



    My assertion about PAL/SECAM for the rest of the world outside the US being 576p, I believe Apple iTunesMovies will be marketed and delivered as "Near-HD quality, better than DVD" - H.264: Not 720x480p because that's DVD res 4:3 (anamorphic for 16:9)



    Thus my prediction that iTunesMovies will be resolution of 16:9 native aspect ratio, hence pixel resolution H.264 of 854x480 24p



    So yes Melgross, H.264 854x480 24p - 854 like you mentioned but 854 pixels wide is NOT part of EDTV.



    Image:

  • Reply 216 of 229
    854x480 24p H.264 will be a nice "near-HD super-DVD quality" which Apple can market well for iTunesMovies. This 16:9 native aspect ratio would also offer the best intermediary, IMO, between file size and video quality - which means ONE DRM'ed MOVIE FILE which you can watch on your iPod, Mac, or AirMovies streamed to your TV, Plasma widescreen, or LCD widescreen. You heard it here first, folks
  • Reply 217 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    According to Wikipedia---



    Ordination

    In the late 1990s, O'Connor was controversially ordained into the schismatic Independent Catholic group known as the Palmarian Catholic Church, by Irish Bishop Michael Cox, in disregard of the prohibition on the ordination of women within Roman Catholicism. As a result she became excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church. Bishop Cox contacted her to offer ordination following her appearance on the RTÉ's Late Late Show, during which she told the presenter, Gay Byrne, that had she not been a singer, she would have wished to have been a Catholic priest (despite that in the Roman Catholic Church, women are not permitted to enter the priesthood). After her service of ordination, she indicated that she wished to be called Mother Bernadette Mary.

    In 2003 she announced that she was going to leave the music industry [4] and train to be a catechist (teacher of the Catholic religion to school children).

    In 2005 she performed at Madison Square Garden at the Jammy Awards and announced plans to release a reggae-influenced album, named Throw Down Your Arms, in October 2005. ABC Radio News, announcing her new album, reported that she has found solace in the Rastafarian faith, and that the religion "saved her life."

    In a 2005 interview by the reggae artist Burning Spear in Andy Warhol's Interview magazine, she reported that her mission is to "rescue God from religion."



    Well, ok!



    That makes Peter positively conservative.



    But then, she was always a firebrand.



    A lot of adult entertainment performers have caught religion over the years. The first that I know of was Betty Page, though she never did hard core.
  • Reply 218 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman


    That's NTSC. Don't forget 720 x 576 PAL/SECAM resolution. Let's not forget all those other countries which do PAL/SECAM.



    Image:





    Oh, and EDTV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance...ion_television

    "The common implementations of EDTV are 480 or 576-line signals in progressive scan (as opposed to 50-60 interlaced fields per second, see NTSC, or PAL and SECAM). These are commonly referred to as "480p" and "576p" respectively. In comparison, a standard definition television (SDTV) signal is broadcast with interlaced frames and is commonly referred to as "480i" or "576i". The horizontal resolution is 704 or 720 pixels regardless of aspect ratio. The image is stretched for displaying to an aspect ratio of 4:3 or 16:9."



    Not sure where you got 852x480 it woudl be 704x480 or 720x480 for NTSC.



    I was talking about NYSC, as most people here will be using that.



    I sometime do forget about PAL.SECAM, which is rarely seen here, has so many other problems, I'd rather it die. We used to do conversions.



    I have never seen EDTV p, only i. Strange, isn't it?



    Where did that definition come from again? Wiki? It's screwy.
  • Reply 219 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman


    My assertion about PAL/SECAM for the rest of the world outside the US being 576p, I believe Apple iTunesMovies will be marketed and delivered as "Near-HD quality, better than DVD" - H.264: Not 720x480p because that's DVD res 4:3 (anamorphic for 16:9)



    Thus my prediction that iTunesMovies will be resolution of 16:9 native aspect ratio, hence pixel resolution H.264 of 854x480 24p



    So yes Melgross, H.264 854x480 24p - 854 like you mentioned but 854 pixels wide is NOT part of EDTV.



    Image:





    You would have to come here, and see the video shows, where the sets are being demoed. EDTV is very definitely 854 x 480i. No doubt.



    Different standards in different places, but Wiki is screwed up, because they don't quite get it right. They mention some of what is correct, in some places, but not what is correct in others.



    For example, broadcast Tv here, in the states, is not 440 vertical lines. It is 720 vertical lines. But, tuners can only receive up to 332 lines, because of the filter that limits the bandwidth.



    So, is broadcast 720, lines, out of the studio? Or is it 332 lines out of the tuner? DVD rez was designed to mimic broadcast.
  • Reply 220 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman


    854x480 24p H.264 will be a nice "near-HD super-DVD quality" which Apple can market well for iTunesMovies. This 16:9 native aspect ratio would also offer the best intermediary, IMO, between file size and video quality - which means ONE DRM'ed MOVIE FILE which you can watch on your iPod, Mac, or AirMovies streamed to your TV, Plasma widescreen, or LCD widescreen. You heard it here first, folks



    Except that standard rez Tv's can't display that. It's a conundrum.
Sign In or Register to comment.