Briefly: delayed stream of 'blockbuster' Apple event likely

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer boss Steve Jobs has laid out his favorite pair of blue jeans and black turtleneck for tomorrow morning's special "Showtime" event, expected to be one of the largest in recent years.

People familiar with the chief executive's plans for the big day have dubbed it a "blockbuster" event aimed at pushing the envelope of digital media.

Jobs, who makes certain calls based on the magnitude of his keynote announcements, is likely to have a video-on-demand version of the festivities published on Apple's Web site later in the day, those people say.

The event is scheduled for 10:00 am pacific time at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco, Calif. Attendance to the event is extremely limited and invite-only.

Digital invitations sent to members of the media last week simply said "It's Showtime."

Jobs and Co. are expected to use the event to launch a full-length feature film service, new iPods and -- if the kinks have been knocked out -- a streaming device that will more closely wed the company's digital media strategy to the living room home theater.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer boss Steve Jobs has laid out his favorite pair of blue jeans and black turtleneck for tomorrow morning's special "Showtime" event, expected to be one of the biggest in recent years.

AppleInsider sure is fanning the flames here. Remember the last time an event was hyped like this? Uh-huh. iPod HiFi.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Jobs, who makes certain calls based on the magnitude of his keynote announcements, is likely to have a video-on-demand version of the festivities published on Apple's Web site later in the day, those people say.

Absolutely diabolical. Charging us $1.99 for the privelege of watching his announcements now!

I'll get you Jobs, if it's the last thing I dooooooo!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

AppleInsider sure is fanning the flames here. Remember the last time an event was hyped like this? Uh-huh. iPod HiFi.

iPod HiFi wasn't all! How soon we forget the $99 leather iPod case!

(still, I'll be banging on the reload button with the rest of you...)
  • Reply 4 of 62
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

I don't agree that AppleInsider hyped the February music event the same way. We believe the impact of this event will be much, much larger. I think we said that event was to include the Mac mini (which it did), possibly the iPod Boombox (which it did) and possibly the MacBook (which we later said wouldn't arrive). The announcements of this event are held down much closer. Movies are huge in my opinion.

All the best,

Kasper
  • Reply 5 of 62
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Absolutely diabolical. Charging us $1.99 for the privelege of watching his announcements now!

I'll get you Jobs, if it's the last thing I dooooooo!!!!!

Free reply... no charge. Just like in the past.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper

Free reply... no charge. Just like in the past.

Yes, it was a joke. That wasn't obvious, hmmm?
  • Reply 7 of 62
    I just love the days leading up to a Stevenote. I'll wake up tomorrow morning, first thing I'll do is switch on the computer and check AI to see what awesome new stuff Apple has for us
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zedrac

I just love the days leading up to a Stevenote. I'll wake up tomorrow morning, first thing I'll do is switch on the computer and check AI to see what awesome new stuff Apple has for us

Yes, the anticipation is positively intoxicating...

I hope Stever pulls something really magical out of his trick bag this time. Last 2 announcements were fairly standard issue.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    My first post on AI- been waiting for my account to be activated for a few days.

I have been thinking that all of the puzzle pieces we have right now are leading towards a Tablet Mac- to me, it is one of the only solutions that makes sense. It would incorporate virtually everything that people want and would need into a complete digital lifestyle device, thus bridging thes gaps (both physical and psychological) between the computer, the person, and the livingroom.

...more to come
  • Reply 10 of 62
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    What is the site that usually has updated text of what's going on in Keynotes? Are they doing something for this event?
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

What is the site that usually has updated text of what's going on in Keynotes? Are they doing something for this event?

I believe Engadget will be covering the event as per usual. Don't know about any others yet though.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    i wonder which pocket he will pull out his latest suprise! I want a full screen iPod.

Bring it on.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    There won't be the usual text updates as I doubt the people who do such things have been invited. Its quite possible we'll know nothing about whats announced until after it has finished and the apple site is updated.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    <Dons the Pointy Predicto!!! Hat>

Uh... yeah. whatever.

<tosses predicto hat in the can and sulks cause he had to buy a TabletPC (that stands for Painful Choice, guys) cause classes already started and Uncle Steve didn't come through.>

but at least now I have an excuse to get a Mac Pro later. :|
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

There won't be the usual text updates as I doubt the people who do such things have been invited. Its quite possible we'll know nothing about whats announced until after it has finished and the apple site is updated.

You may be right. I re-read the Engadget post and it doesn't exactly mention coverage of the actual event, just "pre-game" coverage. Link for those who are interested: (link).
  • Reply 16 of 62
    More on the Tablet... Apple took over the digital music world when it introduced the iPod a few years ago. Apple is also known as the company that might not be the first to market with a particular type of device (mp3 players), but they will be the company that does the product "right". Many are viewing tomorrow's new product introduction as the "next big thing". It appears that TV and movies are the next step for companies- most companies are working on various types of devices right now, but none of them seem to be simple or elegant

I believe that Apple is going to revolutionize the TV/ living room experience much the same way they did the personal music experience a few years ago. And, I do not think that an updated AirPort is going to cut it- it is not sexy enough and it does not take care of all the users needs. It would only be just another device that you would have to connect to some other device so that you could then connect those devices into something else. I think that a tablet (w/ streaming capabilties) would simplify alot of this for the user.

MS couldn't get the Tablet to take off. I think that there are a number of reasons for this but one big one is that they did not meet the user's needs. If Apple came out with a Tablet tomorrow that was sold as a media device, I think that people would see the inherent uses of such a product. Then, hopefully the Tablet will have finally found its home.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    More and more these keynotes don't match up to the anticipation preceding. What to expect? Hard to say, maybe it's already time for another MAJOR platform transition, say some kind of super-great optical processor that (like the 9 to X transition, or PPC to Intel transition) will require us users to go out and buy all new native versions. Yeah! That'll be fun! (again..!)

Or perhaps, iPod Socks v2.0, now in white, black, and Mac-Pro silver ...!

Huh?! ...anybody?
  • Reply 18 of 62
    i wonder when they will stop selling the HiFi and just sorta sweep it under the carpet and let Lisa have a friend. Or take a daring turn and make it worth the 300 bucks. Anyone speculating news on the iPhone or anything?
  • Reply 19 of 62
    I wanted to post this sooner but AppleInsider took a long while to validate my account.

Anyhoo, from what it looks like Apple will not be doing what MS did and try to create a "desktop computer that has a TV tuner, RAM-hungry, and looks awkward & small on a computer monitor (<20 in.)

I know an individual who has been hired at Apple in the past couple months who had previously created a program called Tryst (http://www.trystx.com/). This would enable the host computer to stream video over a network.

Aiport Extreme with iTunes does a similar thing among computers on a local network. If you add video to Airport Extreme and have a simple connection to a HDMI/DVI or whatever TV connection, you essentially have the full functionality of streaming your favorite full-length movie. At the same time, you're not invading on your TV's basic functionality.

Yea Apple could go ahead and add a TV-tuner to their Mac Mini but that doesn't relate enough to where the money is...full-length movies.

--

As everyone knows, iTunes sucks for music and although QuickTime is an ingenuous format as an application it sucks. It lacks much of the UI people like. We're most likely going to see a big change to iTunes that handles videos, specifically full-length videos better (the better option) or we're going to see a big change to QuickTime which would incorporate playlists and all the neat things iTunes has (the worse option since its another program).

Oh well, we'll see tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrandeDrip

More on the Tablet... Apple took over the digital music world when it introduced the iPod a few years ago. Apple is also known as the company that might not be the first to market with a particular type of device (mp3 players), but they will be the company that does the product "right". Many are viewing tomorrow's new product introduction as the "next big thing". It appears that TV and movies are the next step for companies- most companies are working on various types of devices right now, but none of them seem to be simple or elegant

I believe that Apple is going to revolutionize the TV/ living room experience much the same way they did the personal music experience a few years ago. And, I do not think that an updated AirPort is going to cut it- it is not sexy enough and it does not take care of all the users needs. It would only be just another device that you would have to connect to some other device so that you could then connect those devices into something else. I think that a tablet (w/ streaming capabilties) would simplify alot of this for the user.

MS couldn't get the Tablet to take off. I think that there are a number of reasons for this but one big one is that they did not meet the user's needs. If Apple came out with a Tablet tomorrow that was sold as a media device, I think that people would see the inherent uses of such a product. Then, hopefully the Tablet will have finally found its home.

mmm Tablets are not cheap and seem like the most inefficient way to enable Video streaming. Apple is PWNing the notebook market and wouldn't want to take a chunk out of their own market share just to get out into the relatively non-existent Tablet market.

Yea i could be wrong