"Intel plotting vPro for Apple"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09...vpro_shipping/

Until now, Apple has stayed away from Intel's marketing schemes. Not even Intel's succesful Centrino platform has found its way into Mac laptops. Things might be about to change.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Nothing in the linked rumor piece suggests that Apple will join "Intel's marketing schemes."
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Nothing in the linked rumor piece suggests that Apple will join "Intel's marketing schemes."

Quote:

Intel digital office division general manager Greg Bryant said plans were being discussed to bring the Advanced Manageability Technologies at the heart of the vPro to Apple machines.

That's exactly what I read from it.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'm still waiting for Intel Buzz and Intel Word.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    The MacBook has all the tech from Centrino. Apple just doesn't slap "Centrino" stickers all over it because they don't need to piggyback on Intel's marketing efforts. The thing sells itself.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

The MacBook has all the tech from Centrino. Apple just doesn't slap "Centrino" stickers all over it because they don't need to piggyback on Intel's marketing efforts. The thing sells itself.

Your username suits you. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Your username suits you. 8)

I'm hoping that's not sarcastic.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Of course not. That's my twisted way of saying I agree.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Or what?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Apple doesn't have much use for vPro - most of the stuff is aimed at IT guys who have to run a hundred boxes. Macs are more often used on a more individual basis - even if there are that many in some studios, they tend to be in render farms or more individualized. Macs in schools could benefit, but there the primary issue seems to be keeping stuff from getting stolen.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Doesn't the Macbook use an Atheros wireless chip?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

I thought the MacBook uses Atheros for wireless. Atheros is not part of Centrino. Apple couldn't "slap" Centrino stickers even if it wanted to.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

Methinks theapplegenius is not quite the genius he claims to be.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Correct. Apple laptops do not comply with Centrino.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Whatever.

What i'm saying is that it really doesn't matter if Apple uses components from vPro, Centrino, or Viiv.

Details, details.

• Reply 15 of 18
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I agree with Zach and the genius. If Apple adopts iAMT (which is the real tech in vPro), they'll call it something like "Apple Remote Desktop 4.0", not vPro.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I wouldn't trust The Register for anything other than a good laugh.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Whoa there; apart from that twat Andrew Orlowski the Reg is a pretty straight news source.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

Wasn't that part of what exposes the farce of the alleged Mackbook "hack"? How is it that Intel's wireless drivers can be at fault when Intel's wireless chip isn't in the thing?