Its Showtime - The iTunes Store is being updated

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

This is a big deal folks. Apple is making NO money right now because of this update. Must be worth it to them...

Exactly my thoughts.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

They are already zero, in my opinion.

I can't imagine they'll let the iMac be the only one with the Core 2 Due for a while. That just doesn't make scene. Why would they sleep on a new chip like that?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

I can't imagine they'll let the iMac be the only one with the Core 2 Due for a while. That just doesn't make scene. Why would they sleep on a new chip like that?

MBPs are not coming today. I just don't see it. Most certainly though later in this month. Or perhaps October. But my vote is for September.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

MBPs are not coming today. I just don't see it. Most certainly though later in this month. Or perhaps October. But my vote is for September.

I guess I'll just have to wait. I can't wait till October though, this month is seriously it. I'll be really mad if I buy a MBP and a week later the 64 bit comes out, but at the same time, I can't wait any more. Steve I know you read these boards...You will get a serious kick in the noots if I don't get my MBP damnit!
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

This is a big deal folks. Apple is making NO money right now because of this update. Must be worth it to them...

Apple EBIT (earnings before interest & taxes) for the iTunes Music Store is somewhere in the range of 6%... Tack on taxes and you are at 4%. 4 cents per download is what they are losing.

Total net Income for the store for full year 2005 was $20 million compared to total company Net Income of $1,156 million (1.7% of total profit is from iTMS). $20 million per year is $55,000 per day and ~$14,000 per quarter day (6 hours until meeting is over). So, based on my math I would say that Apple probably couldn't give a crap about the store being closed for 6 hours...

• Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp

So, based on my math I would say that Apple probably couldn't give a crap about the store being closed for 6 hours...

Apple is a company and not charity.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Apple is a company and not charity.

Wow, I hope all 2400 of your posts aren't this informative...

To cut-off other quick and dim witted responses... Losing $14k of net income to update the music store does not prove that they have something big in the bag for us. (I am convinced that they do, but this is not evidence of that IMHO) $14k is just not that much money for Apple and so it is not a big deal. Would they prefer to have the store open? Of course, but if it has to be updated, so be it.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:

Wow, I hope all 2400 of your posts aren't this informative...

Sorry, it was a clumsy reply from my part but don't take this personnally. We just discuss and I am in a hurry (I will actually miss the announcements as I leave in a few moments).

Quote:

To cut-off other quick and dim witted responses... Losing $14k of net income to update the music store does not prove that they have something big in the bag for us. (I am convinced that they do, but this is not evidence of that IMHO) $14k is just not that much money for Apple and so it is not a big deal. Would they prefer to have the store open? Of course, but if it has to be updated, so be it.

There is nothing to prove here. We are just stating opinions about the matter. In my opinion, closing the store so early means more than usually come from Apple. But that's just my thoughts (as I already said) and I am not trying to prove anything.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Closing the iTMS early will cause a "small" loss of income. Yet I think that building hype does account for something, as well as the necessity of taking the store down to make whatever changes are forthcoming.

If these "changes" are even close to what most of those here believe, that small loss of income will be made up in a very short period of time.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Further action in the closed down iTunes Store: Now you don't even get the Showtime screen, you just get a message box saying: iTunes could not connect to the Music Store. The Music Store is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Has Apple always called the music store- "iTunes Store?" Didn't it use to be called "The iTunes Music Store?"
  • Reply 32 of 62
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Let's put it this way: Apple is also keeping music and TV executives from making money right now, too. Apple must think this is pretty important to do THAT. They'll probably be getting grief from the industry folks.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I just ant to add that the supposed streaming that some people are thinking of is not going to happen. Movies might happen, but streaming wont. Have you ever tried to watch a tape delayed keynote? Hello Streaming. Streams are freaking hideously unreliable, and traffic is just too much to make them a reality. That's why Apple doesn't stream live events anymore. You cant even get a steady flow from the delayed ones.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Streams are freaking hideously unreliable, and traffic is just too much to make them a reality. That's why Apple doesn't stream live events anymore.

This underlines a main point that Apple doesn't do something unless they can ensure a certain level of quality. That's why it took so long for a solution to get radio on an iPod. It wouldn't have looked so good to build it in and then have folks possibly get cruddy reception.

Apple won't stream video unless they find some magnificent way to ensure quality.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Two hours to go and the Apple Store is down... not just movies!!!!

New iPod for the movies! New iPod Tablet!

God how I wish the event were not at 2:00am our time... maybe I should take tomorrow off...

Apple events should be international holidays
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Update: Now we get nothing. No Showtime screen, no error messages. What is going on in there?
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Is it possible the "Showtime" message was a mistake? They are usually not so obvious when updating the online store, for example. You just get a canned message telling you it's down rather than referring to a specific event.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Two hours to go and the Apple Store is down... not just movies!!!!

New iPod for the movies! New iPod Tablet!

God how I wish the event were not at 2:00am our time... maybe I should take tomorrow off...

Apple events should be international holidays

I second that. This pisses me off, I have work to do for a class this evening and I keep getting distracted by it.

umm....

I mean, from it. Right.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Something is odd... the store went down, came up and then went down again in a matter of minutes.

Check this article over at CNN... I like this part:

"Apple is genetically incapable of doing a 'me too' thing," said Mike McGuire, analyst at Gartner. "So we could see something very interesting."

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/int...eut/index.html

Good night.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Bergermeister, in a way I envy you. I'd prefer to wake up and the updates and announcements be over and online. This waiting until noon (central time) sucks.