Notes from Apple's Showtime event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    So far, the best is going up to 80GB, and re-design of the earbud. But that's about it. And why did the screen stay the same size? I thought it was a given once they intro movies, it'll HAVE to get a bigger screen. Wow, this is lame.

The rest is just sad. They couldn't get any studio onboard - other than Disney, where Steve Jobs dominates. This, folks, is a failure. I mean, Disney was onboard from day one, no need to twist any arms. It means the entire time negotiating with the other studios gave a result of ZERO. NADA. ZIP. TOTAL FAILURE.

The iTV is nice, but it's 2007.

For today, we got very, very little. I must say, Apple's recent "special events" are lame beyond help. I mean, what's next? At this point it's like the boy who cried wolf. When Steve makes another special event with special "invitation only", I'm gonna yawn... he'll probably intro a new shade to an existing color for an ipod sock or something.

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 47
    the new ipod looks more like a 5G rev B to me, not the 6G i had been hoping for. Maybe the are waiting till a few days before Zune's launch and then blow it out of the water with a full screen 6G. Plus this will give thm time to secure more movie deals and launch it around the world.

The new nano, not that keen, looks too much like the old mini ipod.

As for the new Shuffle I am going to shoot to the shops and buy myself a 1gig 1G before the sell out. The beauty of the old shuffles was the built in USB so i could use it as a memory stick and recharge it. the new one lack this.

iTV look interesting.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Jesus Christ people. I got one comment in before someone started bitching and moaning about it being a lame special event. What did Apple do. The restructured the ENTIRE iPod line from the shuffle to the big one AND dropped the goddamn price 50 bucks! They redid iTunes with some pretty nifty shit and gave us the streaming device that eveyone has been screaming about since video was added to the iPod. So, I still fail to see how this is a let down. They have updated almost every product they offer within the last 4 weeks. I'm willing to bet notebook updates are next in line. Please ... enjoy the announcement and stop bitching. Way to go on the price drops - the new Apple business model???
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine

So far, the best is going up to 80GB, and re-design of the earbud. But that's about it. And why did the screen stay the same size? I thought it was a given once they intro movies, it'll HAVE to get a bigger screen. Wow, this is lame.

The rest is just sad. They couldn't get any studio onboard - other than Disney, where Steve Jobs dominates. This, folks, is a failure. I mean, Disney was onboard from day one, no need to twist any arms. It means the entire time negotiating with the other studios gave a result of ZERO. NADA. ZIP. TOTAL FAILURE.

The iTV is nice, but it's 2007.

For today, we got very, very little. I must say, Apple's recent "special events" are lame beyond help. I mean, what's next? At this point it's like the boy who cried wolf. When Steve makes another special event with special "invitation only", I'm gonna yawn... he'll probably intro a new shade to an existing color for an ipod sock or something.

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding, right? All three iPod models updated. iTunes now sells movies and games, and has received a major upgrade. Give the movie store 3 months, many many more studios will be on board by then. Look at the tv show store. I think you were just expecting too much. I was expecting much less than this.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    how do you view chapters in podcasts in the new itunes?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zedrac

You're kidding, right? All three iPod models updated. iTunes now sells movies and games, and has received a major upgrade. Give the movie store 3 months, many many more studios will be on board by then. Look at the tv show store. I think you were just expecting too much. I was expecting much less than this.

agreed. and oh no, disney is the only studio on board! um, i don't know about the rest of you, but i didn't realize how many movies disney actually had rights to. for one studio, they sure got a good one.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris

It is going to be nice to get all the album covers. Pain to keep pilfering Amazon.

I wonder if Apple did this on purpose. Think about the timing.

I would use amazon for all of my non-iTunes songs; Apple is steering traffic away from Amazon's site (steer traffic from unbox).
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Did I read that right? Steve-o previewed something that is between 3 and 6 months away????
  • Reply 29 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kylephoto760

Did I read that right? Steve-o previewed something that is between 3 and 6 months away????

Yes. Now he has to investigate himself.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Can't say I'm as pessimistic as Fine Wine but not overwhelmed by this special event either. Very surprised that a true video iPod not released. While the updated ipods are nice, do they merrit a special event? As for the movie store offerings, it sure does look like Hollywood is lining up against Apple. Hopefully more will join over time as has happened with iTunes with most artists joining and selling songs there. iTV looks interesting but will wait to see the final product. BTW, where is my iPhone? Shaw Wu promised me one.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

I wonder if Apple did this on purpose. Think about the timing.

I would use amazon for all of my non-iTunes songs; Apple is steering traffic away from Amazon's site (steer traffic from unbox).

well, at a certain point, even apple can't be so stupid to see that a hell of a lot of itunes players offer "download album artwork" as a primary feature. there's obviously a demand for it, and the other apps can be pretty hit or miss with their accuracy. i hadn't though of the "steer people away from other services" aspect, but it makes a lot of sense.

for the record, though, i already got the cover flow part of itunes 7 to get wonky on me (it stopped showing textures in the albums, just empty unclickable squares, BUT the reflections on the "floor" still appeared correctly. switching views back and forth (from cover flow to anything and back) fixed it, but well, just so you know.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

my money's on apple computer. steve's GOING DOWN!
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2

The Itunes Visualizer Is Gone?????????????????????????????????? Look Down Folks

???

It's still there in the view menu, and command-T still starts it up. The button is gone from the bottom, however.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    i was right, apple bought out steelskies' "cover flow", name and all.

the app formerly known as cover flow

it's nice to see that apple didn't just rip the guy off, they actually bought it because it was friggin cool. YET they hamstrung it a bit for now (no full screen, no "zoomy" when an album is selected for playback). they also put it in the itunes movie store interface.

methinks this guy is set for life now.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Well, I have a feeling that the "full screen ipod" is something that is reserved for this news iphone-cum-everthing-else gadget.

Overall, I believe that Apple is segmenting and serving well it's niches:

a) ipod is and will most likely remain for long term *music device only*. Apple believes that PSP and other players are simply not adequate for video.

b) video should be watched on TV, and hence the iTV

c) Then there is this mysterious iphone that might indeed be full screen and include other features like ical, etc. It is full screen only because it will serve purposes other than music and video.

It makes lot os sense to me. One must admit that Apple is playing the "innovator" card again, this time in negative sense: portable devices are not adeguate for video, and this is a departure from Creative (full) and Zune (bigget screen) approach. For one, it certainly avoids problems of battery time -- and creates the market for hardware that in this very moment has no (or very limited) competition.

The problem with innovation is that it is damn difficult to predict how the market will react, although I see bright feature ahead ;-).
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Very sad Apple did not release some sort of updated Macbook Pro.. It's the PRO laptop ¤&%##"

Nothing Pro about Core Duo anymore.. Sad sad sad
  • Reply 37 of 47
    What a un-happy bunch you are! I hope you show a little more gratitude when santa comes to your house! Me? Im as happy as can be
  • Reply 38 of 47
    I'm glad about the incremental improvements, but there is a good possibility that the iPod will lose its' cool. Everyone has one, and the big ones are all white. I think at this stage in the game, Apple should be diversifying to keep the mystery going. One white iPod was fine for a while, but I instead I would like to see them add five different totally unique larger size iPods. How about one for women with a soft, smooth pink or green finish? How about a flashy gold or copper shiny one? How about an executive iPod that has the feel of a BMW? I think the white one should be thought of as iPod classic, but other models added to the lineup. People like to feel like they are adding something new that fits their personality and choices would give them that. But at all white for everyone, the iPod will lose its mystery.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kylephoto760

Since they couldn't get it out by Christmas season, they had to announce something so consumers can save some room on their credit cards.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I think Apple has to do this to get more people on board. This very preliminary announcement indicates there are many, many content providers that are not sold on "iTV" (or whatever it's renamed in '07). This seems to be an admission of weakness on Apple's part.