640x480 on 5G ipod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So does the 5G ipod support the new 640x480 resolution or do you need one of the new 5.5G ipods Apple is releasing today?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Also does this mean the s-video output on the apple dock will output better quality now like s-video is supposed to?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I just installed iTunes 7 and it says that there is no firmware update available for my 5G iPod. WTF! Nothing. Not even bug fixed version. So I think all that goodness is for 5.5G only.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I'm wondering the same thing. Also, if it is possible to play these movies- what happens to our 5G battery life?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Calling Apple right now... the man I was speaking with put me on hold and is looking into this matter right now... Will post again soon.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    The man said that iTunes 7 (as we all know) will has a software update feature, and that an update WILL be released within a couple of days for older 5th generation iPods. We're all set, guys.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    There IS and update available for 5G which is at version 1.2 but the description says that it is only for games and bug fixes :-(
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm 99% sure the 5Gs will be able to accept and play the 640x480 files. Apple wouldn't alienate all these owners this quickly from being able to use iTS videos.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Would "Games and bug fixes" include that spiffy new search and gapless playback? I may get one or two games, but I care MUCH more about the search feature and gapless playback.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Gapless playback on an iPod may come along with something iTunes 7 does to the files. You may not need a specific firmware update for that.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Gapless playback on an iPod may come along with something iTunes 7 does to the files. You may not need a specific firmware update for that.

So would that be more like an "OS upgrade" as opposed to a firmware update? I don't really know the in's and out's of the iPod's operation code.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

So would that be more like an "OS upgrade" as opposed to a firmware update? I don't really know the in's and out's of the iPod's operation code.

iTunes 7 would do some kind of magic to the audio files in its library that makes them gapless. Your iPod wouldn't need to change, just your version of iTunes.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

iTunes 7 would do some kind of magic to the audio files in its library that makes them gapless. Your iPod wouldn't need to change, just your version of iTunes.

Excellent, thanks for the information!

I don't suppose this same magic will grant my 5G ipod with that nifty search feature eh?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    To obtain the latest firmware (1.2) on the 5g 30 and 60g iPods:

On a Mac:

Download and install iTunes 7

Click on the "iTunes" menu - select Check for Updates.

iTunes will verify that 7 is the most recent version, then it will determine that there is a new firmware (1.2) available.

This firmware does provide for gapless playback and for downloadable games. It does not, as far as I can tell, provide for the new searching function - which sucks a bit, but I won't be opening any arteries over.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    5G iPods can play 640x480, they always have been able too. They just downscale it to 320x240 on they ipod screen, but play 640X480 on TV's.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Definitely NOT HAPPY about the SOFTWARE update NOT including the SEARCH function, C'MON APPLE!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane

Definitely NOT HAPPY about the SOFTWARE update NOT including the SEARCH function, C'MON APPLE!

Agreed.

Athough I am REALLY digging not having to go pilfer album art from Amazon! And gapless playback is HAWT. Small steps... maybe we'll get that search function if we all contact Apple about it?