Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Well, in this day and age 640x480 4:3 is really not acceptable.

This day in age 90% of America is watching a broadcast standard that was invented 60 years ago.

NTSC is literally a 60 year old technology that for the most part has not changed. Newer technology as been tacked onto it. But the core technology is basically the same it was at the beginning of television.
  • Reply 22 of 144
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

The new iPod nano and shuffle models look nice. Interesting to see the iTV will have HDMI and component video in light of the outdated 640x480 4:3 video resolution announced today. I don't know what to make of that. Knowing Apple it will be used only to watch Quicktime movie trailers.

The movies come in widescreen format.

I agree that 480 is bad; it's close to silly. But their format is listed as widescreen.
  • Reply 23 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

Well, in this day and age 640x480 4:3 is really not acceptable. It's fine as a middle option but there should be something better available. So many people are buying 1280x720 and 1920x1080 HDTV sets these days and there are a lot of TV shows broadcast in widescreen HD. At least offer a native widescreen DVD quality option. Sheesh. This isn't 2003. Get with the times Apple. I'm not paying $9.99 or more to watch a movie full screen. Do they even sell DVDs that way any more? Of course they still haven't introduced a widescreen video iPod so I guess it's a moot point anyway.

The new iPod nano and shuffle models look nice. Interesting to see the iTV will have HDMI and component video in light of the outdated 640x480 4:3 video resolution announced today. I don't know what to make of that. Knowing Apple it will be used only to watch Quicktime movie trailers.

Less than 10% of people have sets that can display better than 640x480. That's not much. Even most Tv's can't display 640 x 480 because the quality of the set isn't high enough. If you are connected through your tuner, the best you can hope for, with a perfect tuner, is 332x480.
  • Reply 24 of 144
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle

Nice new interface in iTunes 7.

Nice new interface??????????????? Are you kidding? Why are the interface elements not aqua? What are these hideous new scroll bars? Why do they not respect my preferences to have double scroll arrows at both ends? What happened to the visualiser? What's happened to the search bar?

Apple seems to have gone all-out to make iTunes look completely unlike any other OS X application. It just doesn't feel right.

Other things, like proper separation of media into their own libraries, and gapless playback, are welcome.
  • Reply 25 of 144
    the visuliser is there: command-T
  • Reply 25 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Why don't SAY something in the post?

Because it'd take TIME to say something in the post, and by then, someone ELSE might have made the first post, dern it!!!

(Next time I promise to post and then edit...)
  • Reply 27 of 144
    I give it more like a B+, and I'm a pretty tough grader.

640x480 is as large as anyone watched movies prior to the advent of HD Television Sets. I think this is pretty good, as DV Video standard is only 720x480. It certainly doesn't compare to some of the HD TV's coming out these days, but perhaps in another year, if it is updated once again to 1080x???. Then I think I might be interested in purchasing.

Really, though, I think buying movies is stupid (for me that is, not you). I don't like watching movies more than once, maybe twice. I would really love to see Apple adopt a rental and/or subscription program for movies. If they do, they will become my one and only source for movies (accept the occasional trip to the big screen for an especially worthy new release).

I really home that Morgan Freeman has his way and movie studios ditch the whole big screen distribution method someday and just deliver movies direct to the consumer to watch on their own home theater.
  • Reply 28 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Nice new interface??????????????? Are you kidding? Why are the interface elements not aqua? What are these hideous new scroll bars? Why do they not respect my preferences to have double scroll arrows at both ends? What happened to the visualiser?

Apple seems to have gone all-out to make iTunes look completely unlike any other OS X application. It just doesn't feel right.

Other things, like proper separation of media into their own libraries, and gapless playback, are welcome.

Someone explain this "gapless playback" thing to me. My iTunes has always overlapped songs by whatever interval (in seconds) I tell it to.
  • Reply 29 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

Because it'd take TIME to say something in the post, and by then, someone ELSE might have made the first post, dern it!!!

(Next time I promise to post and then edit...)

There you go, now you are a true Appleinsider!
  • Reply 30 of 144
    does anyone else find it interesting that the new iTunes is not exactly Aqua... ?! and not much in the way of the glassy look.

i've also noticed since installing it my dual G5 is noticably slower, especially the iTunes 7 window.

right now i wish i had Time Machine and go back to when i had iTunes 6!

ghi
  • Reply 31 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD

The movies come in widescreen format.

I agree that 480 is bad; it's close to silly. But their format is listed as widescreen.

But 640x480 is obviously not widescreen. Do they cut down on the height dimension or offer 720 on the width dimension?
  • Reply 32 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

But 640x480 is obviously not widescreen. Do they cut down on the height dimension or offer 720 on the width dimension?

They probably cut down on the height as DVD's do.
  • Reply 33 of 144
    Like the new interface actually (but I am on Windows so anything is better than the Windows XP theme!). However, I am a bit cheesed off that if you move the iTunes folder from the All Users Start Menu folder, the next launch of iTunes forces Windows Installer to recreate all the Desktop/Start Menu shortcuts again as well as make iTunesHelper.exe a startup program. You can only hide this folder, you cannot delete it.
  • Reply 34 of 144
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

the visuliser is there: command-T

Oh yeah. Often, I can't see stuff that's right in front of my face. I did look in the menus, but didn't see it. I'm pretty sure the search bar has gone though.
  • Reply 35 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Nice new interface??????????????? Are you kidding? Why are the interface elements not aqua? What are these hideous new scroll bars? Why do they not respect my preferences to have double scroll arrows at both ends? What happened to the visualiser? What's happened to the search bar?

vizuliser ive said about, i think return the scroll bars to how they were, and return the the button bar thingys at the bottom and the top to how they were, all the other things can stay. apart from the ipod interface, that needs to be changed. me no like...
  • Reply 36 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richieg261

Like the new interface actually (but I am on Windows so anything is better than the Windows XP theme!). However, I am a bit cheesed off that if you move the iTunes folder from the All Users Start Menu folder, the next launch of iTunes forces Windows Installer to recreate all the Desktop/Start Menu shortcuts again as well as make iTunesHelper.exe a startup program. You can only hide this folder, you cannot delete it.

That is kind of lame, I'm sorry to hear that <puts hand on richie's shoulder and offers comfort> But come over here, let me show you something called "Tiger", it will make your whole life better.
  • Reply 37 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

There you go, now you are a true Appleinsider!

• Reply 38 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

That is kind of lame, I'm sorry to hear that <puts hand on richie's shoulder and offers comfort> But come over here, let me show you something called "Tiger", it will make your whole life better.

• Reply 39 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rarity

Disappointing! Don't even want to talk about movies and ipods. But the iTV ist just nothing. Go buy yourself Elgato Eye TV. It can do more and its already available!

It does H.264? Has HDMI interfaces?

Unless Elgato includes H.264 and HDMI, it won't compete.

There box will be a hit.

If anything Apple offering this product will bring more focus on Elgato and drive sales to them as well, depending on how Elgato markets their competing products.
  • Reply 40 of 144
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    All right, that tears it. I'm buying one. Screed: Official AI Guinea Pig

I'll get Grosse Pointe Blank.

BRB