Apple unveils the new iPod shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple today introduced the new iPod shuffle, now the world's smallest digital music player with the company's pioneering shuffle feature that lets music fans serve up a continuous mix of their favorite songs anywhere they go.

Nearly half the size of the original, the new iPod shuffle is just half a cubic inch in volume, weighs just half an ounce and features a stunning all-new aluminum design and a built-in clip which makes it the most wearable iPod ever. The new iPod shuffle contains one gigabyte of flash memory which holds up to 240 songs, and is more affordable than ever at just $79.

"It's hard to believe the new iPod is a real music player when you first see it," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "But it is real, and holds up to 240 songs in an incredibly compact and wearable design that weighs just half an ounce."

iPod shuffle is based on Apple's popular shuffle feature which lets users enjoy their songs in a random order. Or listeners can simply flip a switch to listen to their songs in order, such as when listening to a new album. iPod shuffle features up to 12 hours of battery life.*

Users connect the new iPod shuffle to their Mac or PC with the included dock, and iTunes' innovative AutoFill feature automatically syncs the perfect number of songs from their music library. Seamless integration with iTunes 7 and the iTunes Store allows customers to choose from a selection of over 3.5 million songs from the world's most popular digital music store.

Pricing & Availability

The new iPod shuffle is expected to be available worldwide in October through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for $79 (US). iPod shuffle includes earbud headphones and an iPod shuffle Dock.

iPod shuffle requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 7.0 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) and iTunes 7.0 or later. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended.

* Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. Music capacity is based on four minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding; actual capacity varies by content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    so tiny!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    I want one of these more than any of the iPods announced today (I already have a 5G iPod- *crosses finger for firmware update for new features*)- damn they're small...
  • Reply 3 of 42
    What a let down. Only one color, no new features and nothing to get excited about other than size and price.

Apple should offer these things in every color of the rainbow and there should have been at least one new "wow" feature.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    I would prefer that they dropped the Shuffle and went for a horizontal iPod Video.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    I think that this is a genius design. A built-in clip! I had actually never thought of that. It's not meant to be shown off with bright colors...it looks to me like the point is subtlety for this one. I'm actually tempted, and I never thought I'd say that about a screen-less iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustedborg

What a let down. Only one color, no new features and nothing to get excited about other than size and price.

Apple should offer these things in every color of the rainbow and there should have been at least one new "wow" feature.

I dunno, that new design is pretty "wow" to me. The only thing I'm disappointed about it is that it's now harder to use it as a USB flash drive - I was going to buy a new shuffle as a replacement for my flash drive, but now I'm having second thoughts...
  • Reply 7 of 42
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    HA... I told you guys that there would be a new Shuffle made of anodized aluminum, and games being introduced.

And yet all I got was grief from the greif givers here.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

I would prefer that they dropped the Shuffle and went for a horizontal iPod Video.

dude, they've sold TEN MILLION SHUFFLES SO FAR. would YOU drop the shuffle if you were still selling them hand over fist? methinks not.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain

HA... I told you guys that there would be a new Shuffle made of anodized aluminum, and games being introduced.

And yet all I got was grief from the greif givers here.

I remember that thread... That's a much-earned "I told you so," rain!
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

I dunno, that new design is pretty "wow" to me. The only thing I'm disappointed about it is that it's now harder to use it as a USB flash drive - I was going to buy a new shuffle as a replacement for my flash drive, but now I'm having second thoughts...

Ditto. I love the fact that I always have a handy storage device hanging around my neck (under my overshirt of course, I'm not that much of a dweeb). The new design is very cool and Apple like, but it is sad to lose the USB connector. They ought to leave the old shuffle as an option.

I say, buy an old one now while they're still in stock.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ditto on having to carry around an extra thing for USB connectivity. How much size would putting the USB plug back on the body add, anyway?

Sometimes I get really annoyed at Job's "make so small it will make people's eyes bug out, even if it means compromising functionality" fetish.

Having said that, I am immediately getting one. The ultimate gym pod.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Ahh wtf I don't want to loose the thumb drive capability!

Also when using it with a notebook I've got to have a cord!

The design was perfect, they should have added this at 1gig and kept the old ne as 512mb.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    I just can't get out of my head the parallels this new shuffle has with the iPod "flea" parody. Looks like the person who created that spoof was onto something!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Wow, it's the same size as the radio tuner/remote. Incredible. Someone saw my remote the other day, and said "there's no way an iPod could be that small", and I had to explain that it was a remote. Now, iPods really are that small. I am so impressed.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    i'm just confused as to how Apple fit a battery, 1GB memory, and processor chip all into that thing and still had room for a headphone jack. Wow.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    OHH!! I saw the flea parody!!!
  • Reply 17 of 42
    The only slight concern is that I feel that the new iPod shuffle is the best (as in "wow factor") iPod release coming out of Cupertino today. I was quite underwhelmed by everything else, which is a shame because Apple seems to have not really innovated with this event, rather than they have just renovated, which has made me feel quite sad in a way.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Does this this charge through the 3.5mm jack?

Does it charge by magnetic induction in the dock?

How does it sync to the Mac - through the 3.5mm jack?

I'm confused - but it looks nice.

When I first saw it I thought it was getting a dock connector on the base.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Does this this charge through the 3.5mm jack?

Does it charge by magnetic induction in the dock?

How does it sync to the Mac - through the 3.5mm jack?

I'm confused - but it looks nice.

When I first saw it I thought it was getting a dock connector on the base.

it has a dock connector. Which actually is a drawback, since now you need the dock connector to connect/harge. The RevA shuffles don't.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackbauer

it has a dock connector. Which actually is a drawback, since now you need the dock connector to connect/harge. The RevA shuffles don't.

Where? (There is space for one - it would have been great with Nike + too ;~\\ )